Raised This Month: $ Target: $400
 0% 

VSH VSH, old thread (v1.42) - Information/etc.

Post New Thread Closed Thread   

MasterOfTheXP
Veteran Member
Old 06-07-2013 , 08:37   Re: VS Saxton Hale Mode, main thread (current v1.42)

With the Easter Bunny and now apparently Captain Kinky being added, I feel the need to point out that the gamemode is still called "VS Saxton Hale Mode". If you add enough extra bosses to it, it becomes, as I occasionally point out, "VS Everyone Except Saxton Hale Mode".

As I'll quote yet again:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Powerlord View Post
Of course, if you plan on adding lots of new boss abilities (and new bosses) you're using the wrong plugin and you know it.
Veteran Member
Old 06-07-2013 , 08:39   Re: VS Saxton Hale Mode, main thread (current v1.42)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterOfTheXP View Post
With the Easter Bunny and now apparently Captain Kinky being added, I feel the need to point out that the gamemode is still called "VS Saxton Hale Mode". If you add enough extra bosses to it, it becomes, as I occasionally point out, "VS Everyone Except Saxton Hale Mode".

As I'll quote yet again:

Honestly, I'm alot more comfy working with VSH than FF2, it's just my personal choice, FF2 kinda gives me a migraine; no offense to Powerlord because I know how hard he works on it; but it's just not my bowl of tea (yes i drink tea from a bowl)

Also, I LUV your TF2fix plugin

Last edited by nergal; 06-07-2013 at 08:40.
Powerlord
AlliedModders Donor
Old 06-07-2013 , 09:23   Re: VS Saxton Hale Mode, main thread (current v1.42)

Quote:
Originally Posted by nergal View Post
Honestly, I'm alot more comfy working with VSH than FF2, it's just my personal choice, FF2 kinda gives me a migraine; no offense to Powerlord because I know how hard he works on it; but it's just not my bowl of tea (yes i drink tea from a bowl)
In all fairness, doing a complete rewrite takes a lot of time, particularly since I've created one new game mode (Huntsman Hell) and did a major re-architecture to another (Prop Hunt).

I suppose I should explain that: If you look in the FF2 repo, it's got 3 directories: plugin/, pluginv1/, and resources/. plugin/ was something I created something like a year ago when I had the idea of rewriting the entire thing... it's also what I started working on again a month or two ago. pluginv1/ came around when I decided to start fixing bugs in the then-current version last year (1.07/1.08 changes are from pluginv1). resources/ are all the models, materials, and sounds used by the core bosses.

I've started working on plugin/ again as I've realized that fixing pluginv1/ is just patching up some pretty bad code and is unsustainable in the long run.

Last edited by Powerlord; 06-07-2013 at 09:32.
nergal
Veteran Member
Old 06-07-2013 , 09:47   Re: VS Saxton Hale Mode, main thread (current v1.42)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Powerlord View Post
In all fairness, doing a complete rewrite takes a lot of time, particularly since I've created one new game mode (Huntsman Hell) and did a major re-architecture to another (Prop Hunt).

I suppose I should explain that: If you look in the FF2 repo, it's got 3 directories: plugin/, pluginv1/, and resources/. plugin/ was something I created something like a year ago when I had the idea of rewriting the entire thing... it's also what I started working on again a month or two ago. pluginv1/ came around when I decided to start fixing bugs in the then-current version last year (1.07/1.08 changes are from pluginv1). resources/ are all the models, materials, and sounds used by the core bosses.

I've started working on plugin/ again as I've realized that fixing pluginv1/ is just patching up some pretty bad code and is unsustainable in the long run.

ahhh don't sweat it, do you plan to add captain kinky to FF2?
Old 06-09-2013 , 09:26   Re: VS Saxton Hale Mode, main thread (current v1.42)

Hey, the hale speed, I cant change it... can anyone tell me
snelvuur
Veteran Member
Old 06-12-2013 , 07:20   Re: VS Saxton Hale Mode, main thread (current v1.42)

Do people here see an increased "range" kill? I mean i know that lag compensation and all compensates and that you get hit sometimes from a distance that doesn't reflect from your end but these days its just silly. Sometimes i am behind a corner and still die when he's not in my face.

Might this have something to do with the cl_interp stuff they have been changing on and off..?
Veteran Member
Old 06-12-2013 , 10:19   Re: VS Saxton Hale Mode, main thread (current v1.42)

I don't like the idea of a Captain Kinky for the regular VSH mode for the same reason that I don't think the Easter Bunny fits VSH mode.

Though the Easter bunny is well done so if I made a server I'd keep him in anyway, but I really think you are better off trying to piggy back off of more well known Freaks instead of someone you just made up.

For example, go add Intelligent Heavy, Painis Cupcake, or Spyper to normal Hale. Voidy's tangent to the Hale mod is also really good.

However, the ability to be adding new bosses to normal Hale is nice to see. I dunno how much work it is and I dunt think I'm really good enough at programming enough to do it myself. Or at least to sourcepawn. I'd need someone to really be devoting time to help me pick it up cuz iunno where to start and already have minimal C++ knowledge to where it dunt really help.

Also with what MasterOfXP mentioned with VS Everyone but Hale, isn't that why he has the highest chance of being the Hale? ;p

In any case I personally prefer VSH over FF2 because of a lot of really small aesthetic reasons ;o

Last edited by Chdata; 06-12-2013 at 10:23.
nergal
Veteran Member
Old 06-12-2013 , 14:05   Re: VS Saxton Hale Mode, main thread (current v1.42)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chdata View Post
I don't like the idea of a Captain Kinky for the regular VSH mode for the same reason that I don't think the Easter Bunny fits VSH mode.

Though the Easter bunny is well done so if I made a server I'd keep him in anyway, but I really think you are better off trying to piggy back off of more well known Freaks instead of someone you just made up.

For example, go add Intelligent Heavy, Painis Cupcake, or Spyper to normal Hale. Voidy's tangent to the Hale mod is also really good.

However, the ability to be adding new bosses to normal Hale is nice to see. I dunno how much work it is and I dunt think I'm really good enough at programming enough to do it myself. Or at least to sourcepawn. I'd need someone to really be devoting time to help me pick it up cuz iunno where to start and already have minimal C++ knowledge to where it dunt really help.

Also with what MasterOfXP mentioned with VS Everyone but Hale, isn't that why he has the highest chance of being the Hale? ;p

In any case I personally prefer VSH over FF2 because of a lot of really small aesthetic reasons ;o
Difference is that Captain Kinky is not a meme, like how intelligent heavy, painis cupcake, and spyper are; I dislike the use of memes as bosses; it's just silly.....

Captain Kinky was born from an insight of when I play Soldier using a disciplinary action, with the Team Captain on my head.

it's not too hard to add a new boss to the vanilla VSH source, but I will say that it's a very tedious process.

you must define all the sounds, models, etc for the hale. You must them enum the boss, have it precache the model, then add it to dl table; precache the sounds depending on how many sounds and what one process will use how many sounds. and it just goes on from there.

In fact, if Flamin' Sarge lets me; I'm hoping to add even more bosses than just Captain Kinky to VSH. If he doesn't want me to, I'll respect his decision.

Last edited by nergal; 06-12-2013 at 14:07.
Chdata
Veteran Member
Old 06-14-2013 , 08:07   Re: VS Saxton Hale Mode, main thread (current v1.42)

Well, I'm sure noone would be opposed to you adding bosses and putting your separate branch out there.

Also I figured that's all there is to adding a boss ;p I just duno where everything is defined and some other stuff.

As for what types of bosses are being added, that's just a difference of opinion so it doesn't matter much. I say; so long as it's optional.
Old 06-14-2013 , 09:23   Re: VS Saxton Hale Mode, main thread (current v1.42)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chdata View Post
Well, I'm sure noone would be opposed to you adding bosses and putting your separate branch out there.

Also I figured that's all there is to adding a boss ;p I just duno where everything is defined and some other stuff.

As for what types of bosses are being added, that's just a difference of opinion so it doesn't matter much. I say; so long as it's optional.
I'm not going to add Meme-based bosses, because I'd rather put bosses that, idk? make sense? or at least makes sense as far TF2's logic can go lol.