Raised This Month: $51 Target: $400
 12% 

[TF2]Taunter

Post New Thread Reply   

TurretTheEpic
Old 06-20-2014 , 15:19   [TF2]Taunter
Reply With Quote #1

Well obviously this is what it says but you can choose a taunt to do and considering alot of poeple WONT be able to get the new taunts so i thought this would be a good idea so this would be able to do all taunts like Square dance and or that guitar taunt or any taunts in game currently...Like Give weapon but different.
Old 06-23-2014 , 20:21   Re: [TF2]Taunter
Reply With Quote #2

Well this has been a waste of 3 days for me...Sorry for impatience but yeah But i do know this TF2Items can do this but i do NOT i repeat NOT know how to do it with tf2items if its with giveweapon then obviously im missing something as that has a command for cosmetics but not taunts aswell. BUT seriously if there is a way Please tell me.
Old 06-24-2014 , 01:46   Re: [TF2]Taunter
Reply With Quote #3

You cannot give people cosmetics in TF2. Valve put in blocks against that a while ago. I'm assuming that the same is true for taunts. A rather knowledgeable scripter here has already claimed to be working on this idea elsewhere.

Last edited by ddhoward; 06-24-2014 at 01:46.
Powerlord
AlliedModders Donor
Old 06-24-2014 , 10:39   Re: [TF2]Taunter
Reply With Quote #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddhoward View Post
You cannot give people cosmetics in TF2. Valve put in blocks against that a while ago. I'm assuming that the same is true for taunts.
Exactly. Even if you could, activated items won't work because the client will just say they don't have it when the player hits their use item / use taunt button. It might be possible to trick it if they have a taunt equipped (say, Director's Vision), but since I haven't actually tried it, I couldn't say.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddhoward View Post
A rather knowledgeable scripter here has already claimed to be working on this idea elsewhere.
FlaminSarge being the person you're talking about.

Now, as for taunts... every line of dialogue and taunt in the game has an associated VCD file packed in scenes.image. Unfortunately, their filenames are numbers. For instance, looking at talker/demoman.txt, the DemoMan calling out "Put a teleporter here!" is "scenes/Player/Demoman/low/968.vcd". Taunts aren't in the talker files as they only include the ones played by the game's response system.

VCDs can be viewed with FacePoser which comes with the game.

In theory, a logic_choreographed_scene / instanced_scripted_scene (likely the latter as the former is intended for mapmakers) entity can be used to play taunts... but you need to know the appropriate vcd and the appropriate inputs to send to it. I imagine for Conga, you'd just need the player, but for, say, RPS you'd need at least two arguments for the players.

Incidentally, each class would have their own VCD for multi-class taunts... chances are things like RPS would actually have have something like 9 classes * 9 classes * 3 choices * 2 choices = 486 different VCDs. It'd be more if they allowed both players to have the same one.

Edit: I may try to collect some data on taunts after work tonight. I have 10 of the 15 taunts from this update (including an unusual I should probably sell soon since it's still at like 6 buds).

Last edited by Powerlord; 06-24-2014 at 11:41.
TurretTheEpic
Old 06-24-2014 , 14:14   Re: [TF2]Taunter
Reply With Quote #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Powerlord View Post
Exactly. Even if you could, activated items won't work because the client will just say they don't have it when the player hits their use item / use taunt button. It might be possible to trick it if they have a taunt equipped (say, Director's Vision), but since I haven't actually tried it, I couldn't say.

FlaminSarge being the person you're talking about.

Now, as for taunts... every line of dialogue and taunt in the game has an associated VCD file packed in scenes.image. Unfortunately, their filenames are numbers. For instance, looking at talker/demoman.txt, the DemoMan calling out "Put a teleporter here!" is "scenes/Player/Demoman/low/968.vcd". Taunts aren't in the talker files as they only include the ones played by the game's response system.

VCDs can be viewed with FacePoser which comes with the game.

In theory, a logic_choreographed_scene / instanced_scripted_scene (likely the latter as the former is intended for mapmakers) entity can be used to play taunts... but you need to know the appropriate vcd and the appropriate inputs to send to it. I imagine for Conga, you'd just need the player, but for, say, RPS you'd need at least two arguments for the players.

Incidentally, each class would have their own VCD for multi-class taunts... chances are things like RPS would actually have have something like 9 classes * 9 classes * 3 choices * 2 choices = 486 different VCDs. It'd be more if they allowed both players to have the same one.

Edit: I may try to collect some data on taunts after work tonight. I have 10 of the 15 taunts from this update (including an unusual I should probably sell soon since it's still at like 6 buds).
...Okay then...
Old 06-24-2014 , 14:29   Re: [TF2]Taunter
Reply With Quote #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurretTheEpic View Post
...Okay then...
Yes, this is technical information. It's aimed at other developers who may want to look into it.

I mean, I won't even be at home for another 4 hours, let alone seeing if I can collect any useful data from the test plugin I wrote and the taunt items I own.

Edit: Having said that, it appears that I will need to add a hook to something else as its not populating the targets on creation. Bots fire off a class's idle animations using instanced_scripted_scene and all the targets come back blank / -1.

Last edited by Powerlord; 06-24-2014 at 14:33.
TurretTheEpic
Old 06-24-2014 , 16:54   Re: [TF2]Taunter
Reply With Quote #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Powerlord View Post
Yes, this is technical information. It's aimed at other developers who may want to look into it.

I mean, I won't even be at home for another 4 hours, let alone seeing if I can collect any useful data from the test plugin I wrote and the taunt items I own.

Edit: Having said that, it appears that I will need to add a hook to something else as its not populating the targets on creation. Bots fire off a class's idle animations using instanced_scripted_scene and all the targets come back blank / -1.
i got too much mind**** right now after reading the other post you posted
Old 06-24-2014 , 19:17   Re: [TF2]Taunter
Reply With Quote #8

Well, I can force it to play the instance_scripted_scene, but no sounds or animations happen. There must be more to it than that.

Given that the other way I know of attempting to do it involves writing an extension and/or modifying the TF2Items extension, I'd PREFER to do it the way I was trying to do it.

Last edited by Powerlord; 06-24-2014 at 19:53.
pheadxdll
AlliedModders Donor
Old 06-24-2014 , 20:45   Re: [TF2]Taunter
Reply With Quote #9

I made a plugin to force any taunt a couple days ago, but some taunt props are not visible on the client (Deep Fried,Results Are In,Oblooterated), they seem to be dependent on the value of m_nActiveTauntSlot for which taunt prop is used if any. Rancho Relaxo is visible however, probably because it uses that special entity. Everything else works though, taunts start and stop, people can join in, etc.

Last edited by pheadxdll; 06-24-2014 at 20:48.
Sreaper
髪を用心
Old 06-24-2014 , 21:18   Re: [TF2]Taunter
Reply With Quote #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by pheadxdll View Post
I made a plugin to force any taunt a couple days ago, but some taunt props are not visible on the client (Deep Fried,Results Are In,Oblooterated), they seem to be dependent on the value of m_nActiveTauntSlot for which taunt prop is used if any. Rancho Relaxo is visible however, probably because it uses that special entity. Everything else works though, taunts start and stop, people can join in, etc.
What method are you using to apply the taunts? Would you kindly share the plugin you wrote?

Last edited by Sreaper; 06-25-2014 at 02:07.