Raised This Month: $51 Target: $400
 12% 

VSH Introducing VSH Advanced

Post New Thread Reply   

nergal
Veteran Member
Old 11-13-2014 , 15:59   Re: Introducing VSH Advanced
Reply With Quote #21

The (detailed) reason I'm abandoning this project is because I've started a different project (one I've been thinking about since before I even started this VSHA) and the interbred schooling with my English 102 final research paper, speech 101's 3 final speeches, AND Humanities tests all stressing my time managing skills, and shifting what is a top priority and what isn't....

The final decision I've made is that it is for the best to release the project publicly instead of delaying it due to my schedule and priorities. I have faith that you guys can make it work better than I could've made it myself.

Last edited by nergal; 11-13-2014 at 16:01.
nergal
Veteran Member
Old 11-15-2014 , 14:11   Re: Introducing VSH Advanced
Reply With Quote #22

Here's the 1.6 version of VSHA, converted by Tank Missile.

happy modding guys!
Attached Files
File Type: zip 1.6 version.zip (28.0 KB, 87 views)
Old 11-16-2014 , 04:10   Re: Introducing VSH Advanced
Reply With Quote #23

This kinda system is exactly what I'd hoped FF2 would be, until Eggman was like LOLNOPE PONIES AND KV AND UNLOADING PLUGINS ARBITRARILY. If I ever get time I will try to make this type of thing take over (or just turn VSH into this).

(Side note, Cookies.net(io?)'s Boss Fight Fortress (https://github.com/CookiesIO/BossFightFortress) was really nice and had a similar system, but that had to wither out as well because he was busy).

All plugins: Randomizer/GiveWeapon, ModelManager, etc.
Post in plugin threads with questions.
Steam is for playing games.
You will be fed to javalia otherwise.
Psyduck likes replays.

Last edited by FlaminSarge; 11-16-2014 at 04:13.
Cookies.net
Old 11-16-2014 , 09:41   Re: Introducing VSH Advanced
Reply With Quote #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlaminSarge View Post
(Side note, Cookies.net(io?)'s Boss Fight Fortress (https://github.com/CookiesIO/BossFightFortress) was really nice and had a similar system, but that had to wither out as well because he was busy).
More-so than busy, I got bored of TF2. Also, had a name change when I got my hands on the cookies.io domain, which I currently use purely for uploading screenshots to when I want to share them.

I just glanced the VSHA code, for old times sake (it's been long since I've touched SP) and noticed that it isn't really good as-is. It uses global forwards for all the boss events, so you can't have more than a single boss installed on the server, unless you manually unload/load the boss plugins (as far as I can see), changing it to properly support multiple bosses will be a lot of work.

I just committed and pushed whatever changes I had for Gamma and BFF since the last commits, in case anyone wants to take over.
I'm not sure how well it works, but I think you guys could learn something from this, or build upon these instead of patching VSH/FF2. It has a lot of things already done, it supports arbitrary amounts of bosses. It does rely on Gamma, a game mode manager I wrote along with it, but if that's gets fixed up, and used widely, it should help a lot with multi-mod servers.

I'd highly recommend, that if anyone decides to work on it, that you convert it to the Transitional Syntax. Methodmaps will help a lot with the readability of commonly used functions in Gamma.

You're free to add and message me on steam for questions, if you're going to take over this and you have some questions. I might not be able to remember, but it usually doesn't take me long to catch up on my own things.
But please try not to copy/paste code in from VSH/FF2, the whole thing was written from scratch to avoid bad naming and less hacks/workarounds.

The repos can be found here:
Boss Fight Fortress
Gamma

(A friend linked me to this thread, normally I wouldn't have noticed)
nergal
Veteran Member
Old 11-16-2014 , 14:46   Re: Introducing VSH Advanced
Reply With Quote #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cookies.net View Post
I just glanced the VSHA code, for old times sake (it's been long since I've touched SP) and noticed that it isn't really good as-is. It uses global forwards for all the boss events, so you can't have more than a single boss installed on the server, unless you manually unload/load the boss plugins (as far as I can see), changing it to properly support multiple bosses will be a lot of work.
I didn't know how else to try to make it work. I'm assuming from what you're saying, is that I can make easy-to-create, flexibly codeable bosses without having to use forwards or just using global forwards?

There's probably alot of things about Sourcepawn that I don't know of as it has a large API that really could use a list along with the reference.

ORIGINALLY, I was attempting the VSHA mod to be modifiable through .sp's that you'd compile WITH the Core plugin rather than make it a core plugin and many subplugins.

in the core compiled plugin, I built a HUGE boss methodmap that would've possibly made it alot easier to code it all but I still didn't know how I could make the bosses trackable without making the plugin "rigid" to customizability.

I wanted VSHA to be as Flexible as FF2 sort-of is right now but with less materials needed, that's when I gave up and just made VSHA how it currently is and just threw Forwards everywhere hoping it would make a difference...

I guess not, hopefully someone can apt through the changes in the VSHA.

The Boss methodmap has a shit ton of everything lol

gets and sets health, maxhealth, rageamount, boss movement speed, nearly every god damn thing you could with the boss.

Last edited by nergal; 11-16-2014 at 15:12.
nergal
Veteran Member
Old 11-16-2014 , 15:56   Re: Introducing VSH Advanced
Reply With Quote #26

found it!

Here was the original Boss methodmap, I remember I sent it to BAILOPAN once to make sure I did it correctly, found the original PM.

PHP Code:
methodmap CBoss
{

//funcs

property int UserID

{
        public 
get() { return GetClientUserId(_:this); }
    }

property int Index

{
        public 
get() { return GetClientOfUserId(this.UserID); }
    }

property int Health

{
        public 
get() { return m_iBossHealth[this.Index]; }
        public 
set(int val) { m_iBossHealth[this.Index] = val; }
    }

property int MaxHealth

{
        public 
get() { return m_iBossMaxHealth[this.Index]; }
        public 
set(int val) { m_iBossMaxHealth[this.Index] = val; }
    }

property int Difficulty

{
        public 
get() { return m_iDifficulty[this.Index]; }
        public 
set(int val) { m_iDifficulty[this.Index] = val; }
    }

property float MoveSpeed

{
        public 
get() { return m_flMoveSpeed[this.Index]; }
        public 
set(float val) { m_flMoveSpeed[this.Index] = val; }
    }

property float Rage

{
        public 
get() { return m_flRage[this.Index]; }
        public 
set(float val) { m_flRage[this.Index] = val; }
    }

property float RageDistance

{
        public 
get() { return m_flRageDist[this.Index]; }
        public 
set(float val) { m_flRageDist[this.Index] = val; }
    }

Last edited by nergal; 11-16-2014 at 15:59.
friagram
Veteran Member
Old 11-16-2014 , 17:54   Re: Introducing VSH Advanced
Reply With Quote #27

Its all just copypasted segments of vsh code rewritten to the new syntax. There isn't much new functionality
nergal
Veteran Member
Old 11-16-2014 , 19:09   Re: Introducing VSH Advanced
Reply With Quote #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by friagram View Post
Its all just copypasted segments of vsh code rewritten to the new syntax. There isn't much new functionality
I know that, i already explained that I did that because I couldn't figure out how to make the plugin allow flexible bosses without using forwards or KVs...

I just wanted to make a simple boss plugin that can handle the backend operations while the boss-modules operates separately from the plugin. Similar to FF2 but without all the clunkiness of KVs, weird coding hacks and workarounds and other stuff...

Last edited by nergal; 11-16-2014 at 19:20.
Sigara
Old 11-16-2014 , 23:46   Re: Introducing VSH Advanced
Reply With Quote #29

I can test this with a group of 32 on one of servers if you want some feedback,I never really liked ff2 that much anyway. That is when I understand how to install this.
Old 11-17-2014 , 04:14   Re: Introducing VSH Advanced
Reply With Quote #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by nergal View Post
I know that, i already explained that I did that because I couldn't figure out how to make the plugin allow flexible bosses without using forwards or KVs...
That's kinda because you NEED to use forwards

Quote:
Originally Posted by nergal View Post
I just wanted to make a simple boss plugin that can handle the backend operations while the boss-modules operates separately from the plugin. Similar to FF2 but without all the clunkiness of KVs, weird coding hacks and workarounds and other stuff...
  • Such things are not simple.
  • What do you mean by "clunkiness of KVs" (you seem to use that word alot)
  • You going to need to use some "weird coding hacks" (wasn't that the whole point of this?)
TBH, starting with FF2 as a base would have made a lot more sense (closer to the end product in terms of design)