Post New Thread Reply   

nergal
Veteran Member
Old 01-19-2015 , 21:46   Re: New API and Syntax
Reply With Quote #291

Quote:
Originally Posted by BAILOPAN View Post
@yusufali Awesome, glad to hear it!

@nergal So far 1.8 only has one new addition - you can use any scripted function as a callback, not just public functions.
so ALL pawn-scripted functions will be public or?....

Second, how will Classes or Structs (which ever you choose) will be implemented?

For the sake of keeping Pawn a fast scripting language with low memory size, I wouldn't mind structs over classes.

but if classes can be implemented without affecting the speed or memory size of pawn, then classes.

I apologize about bothering you about classes/structs as it's the only feature I'm truly interested in that would make the biggest tangible impact that I can currently see.
Old 01-20-2015 , 04:20   Re: New API and Syntax
Reply With Quote #292

I don't know the planned semantics for structs or classes, yet. Structs will almost certainly be pass-by-reference and copy-by-value but that's not set in stone. Their allocation model would be on-stack in the implementation but unspecified semantically.
Veteran Member
Old 01-20-2015 , 10:48   Re: New API and Syntax
Reply With Quote #293

Quote:
Originally Posted by BAILOPAN View Post
I don't know the planned semantics for structs or classes, yet. Structs will almost certainly be pass-by-reference and copy-by-value but that's not set in stone. Their allocation model would be on-stack in the implementation but unspecified semantically.
Last question before I bother you again next 4-5 months , what about Pointers?

Will they exist or nope? I don't particularly care about them but asking out of curiosity

Last edited by nergal; 01-20-2015 at 13:51.
KissLick
Veteran Member
Old 01-20-2015 , 10:58   Re: New API and Syntax
Reply With Quote #294

Quote:
Originally Posted by nergal View Post
what about Pointers?
+1
BAILOPAN
Old 01-20-2015 , 14:22   Re: New API and Syntax
Reply With Quote #295

Depends on what you mean by pointers. If you mean an arbitrary pointer-type, like C/C++ has (or even a restricted variant like Golang) - the answer is no, there are no plans for that.

If you mean restricted pointer types like Java/C# so we can use arrays more flexibly and store objects on the heap - it's a long road to get there so we'll see.
Veteran Member
Old 01-21-2015 , 11:32   Re: New API and Syntax
Reply With Quote #296

not to bother anyone but sdktools_trace needs methodmaps for hull and ray tracing.
Old 01-21-2015 , 14:15   Re: New API and Syntax
Reply With Quote #297

I ran out of steam and left that one out intentionally. Happy to take patches for 1.8.
Old 01-21-2015 , 15:10   Re: New API and Syntax
Reply With Quote #298

Great, its a lot better now. Only downside is the time developers need to put on this thing if they already not familiar with java or c#. thanks
nergal
Veteran Member
Old 01-21-2015 , 19:31   Re: New API and Syntax
Reply With Quote #299

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkSoroush View Post
Great, its a lot better now. Only downside is the time developers need to put on this thing if they already not familiar with java or c#. thanks
Pawn wasn't hard for me to learn, it took me 1-2 months to get SOMEWHAT advanced at it.

Thing is, since SourcePawn is being massively changed into a C#Lite, can I suggest changing the name?

How about "Cona?" In my native language, "-ona" is the only diminutive for something that is physically or metaphorically small.

I'm pronouncing it as "Sonah"
Old 01-22-2015 , 01:11   Re: New API and Syntax
Reply With Quote #300

That's a cute name. But if/when SourcePawn gets its name changed it'll be to "Chargoggagoggmanchauggagoggchaubunagungamaug g".