Raised This Month: $ Target: $400
 0% 

Need a map?

Post New Thread Reply   

The Disclaimer
BANNED
Old 04-03-2007 , 09:44   Re: Need a map?
Reply With Quote #31

I like your maps but you use too many entities and motion parts. This is what's making you guys lag. Remember there is an entity limit on how much you can use in your maps, I make maps when I feel like it. If your going to have two or more roller coasters in your map it's 89% going to lag with the size and other motion parts. Then you must consider your server that your running. Is your server the cause? All of these things can be a factor you just have to pin point them out.
oneofthedragon
Old 04-03-2007 , 13:48   Re: Need a map?
Reply With Quote #32

I think you may be mistaken. Entities are only acknowledged by the game when the maps starts and when they are to be used. So in essence I have
2 func_track trains
4 path_tracks
X info_play_start/deathmatch (x= number of player)
1 light environment
1 light.

Anyway there are maps made by other mappers (whoever made Ka_roadwars... anything nipper makes) that are larger and with MUCH more ent use with little or no lag...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad View Post
It could be both a hazard and rideable. People inside it shouldn't be able to control it at all, but they can go along for the ride.

Just tried the map. Okay... Are you sure that's the right one? Again, I saw nothing even reminiscent of a rollcoaster. Though there was a sound at the very beginning of each round that conceivably could be like a rollercoaster pulling into a stop.

Further, uh... Neither CTs nor Ts could do anything. You essentially run into a box and that's it. If you try to jump to the ground, you die.

Again, are you sure this is your rollercoaster map?
The Fy one? Did you try to jump into that cart looking thing? Start it like a vehicle and it will go along the path... did you do that and didn't like it or did you not try that?

I could have it start with the map... but then it would be just a hazard... I can't make it rideable without having to make the teams start it...

Last edited by oneofthedragon; 04-03-2007 at 13:53.
Brad
AMX Mod X Team Member
Old 04-03-2007 , 15:15   Re: Need a map?
Reply With Quote #33

Okay, I started it that time. Still, nothing like what I had imagined. Picture an actual rollercoaster.

You might as well work on someone else's map. I really don't see this going in the right direction. Thank you anyway.
Old 04-03-2007 , 15:38   Re: Need a map?
Reply With Quote #34

Quote:
Okay, I started it that time. Still, nothing like what I had imagined. Picture an actual rollercoaster.

You might as well work on someone else's map. I really don't see this going in the right direction. Thank you anyway.
No I really don't have any other maps I need to do and I would like to actually get this done. What do you picture as a coaster? It having a looping track? An actual track? I would be willing to make 100 different maps if that's what it would take to get what you want... I really just don't know what you are looking for...
AMX Mod X Team Member
Old 04-03-2007 , 17:04   Re: Need a map?
Reply With Quote #35

Quote:
Rollercoaster type thing. Some ladders to get from one level to another. Twisty. Curvy. Maybe a dark tunnel. At least one really tall hill. The "tracks" are only barely wide enough for 2 people side by side.
Quote:
If you make it actually look like a rollercoaster, and you can find some sort of "box car" model, i.e. whatever the thing is called that people actually sit in, if that could randomly but not often, race down the tracks, killing people that it hits, bonus. The only way to avoid it would be to either not be on the tracks or to (just brainstorming) get on the edge of the track or maybe even jump over it, if that's possible.
Quote:
Maybe the track can have a one person walkway next to it in some parts.
Quote:
It could be both a hazard and rideable. People inside it shouldn't be able to control it at all, but they can go along for the ride.
What the players should be walking on is either the rollercoaster track or the walkway next to it.

The rollercoaster cars don't need to be ridden in if that's an issue. However, they should be smaller so that they're "normal" size in relation to the height and width of the players. If the rollercoaster can't start moving on it's own randomly, then perhaps a switch on a terminal, where the rollercoaster would normally sit waiting for people to board, would be required to start it.

Perhaps it can be a dual track (think, kind of, the Gemini at Cedar Point if you've ever been there) with one rollercoaster at the CT side and one at the T side. Sidebar: If it's a dual track, there's not as much need for a separate walkway on the side but it'd still be a nice touch.
Old 04-04-2007 , 02:06   Re: Need a map?
Reply With Quote #36

Ok... I think I'll have a dual track coaster that meets in different locations... I'll have 2 separate paths per coaster, one where it starts out, and once it gets back to a point it follows a new loop so that people can continue to shoot at each other... I don't thing I will add a walkway just because it will be easier to kill them if they are on the track. The only thing I can't do is have it kill people when it touches them as the coaster only does damage on crush. other than that the rest should be easy...

Last edited by oneofthedragon; 04-04-2007 at 02:54.
Brad
AMX Mod X Team Member
Old 04-04-2007 , 08:36   Re: Need a map?
Reply With Quote #37

The coasters don't need to be ridable. If the cars look better visually without being ridable, then go with that.

As long as the car will push people, presumably it can push them off the track at which point they'd fall down, down, down to their death.
Old 04-04-2007 , 22:07   Re: Need a map?
Reply With Quote #38

Quote:
The coasters don't need to be ridable. If the cars look better visually without being ridable, then go with that.

As long as the car will push people, presumably it can push them off the track at which point they'd fall down, down, down to their death.
Kk... and as for visuals...making it ridable or not doesn't add/detract much so the only difference between making it ridable or not is changing a speed variable.
Veteran Member
Old 04-05-2007 , 00:15   Re: Need a map?
Reply With Quote #39

Let me make a few statements because I was looking forward to this map a lot because I love the only two rollercoaster maps made (fun and surf). Thank you for making the map and no it does not lag (on my piece of shit computer even). But...

WTF were you thinking - the logistics of the map make NO sense whatsoever. You do realize hopefully that the two roller coasters never even meet (CT + T), it's quite funny, I was looking forward to the coaster actually going through the gateway but after several minutes a seizure worthy roller coaster ride, I gave up! You should really consider making it 1) steerable or 2) actually lead the two teams into fighting zones :-) and possibly show the track... Usually in Counter-strike, we try to kill each other but this map made me want to kill myself ;-).

Keep trying though because I really want another rollercoaster map! Rough start but hey, you only get better :-).

Slmclarengt

Come play WC3:FT on BnD Clan Server! You know you want to: Connect to WC3:FT BnD - go ahead click me!
oneofthedragon
Old 04-05-2007 , 00:40   Re: Need a map?
Reply With Quote #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by slmclarengt View Post
Let me make a few statements because I was looking forward to this map a lot because I love the only two rollercoaster maps made (fun and surf). Thank you for making the map and no it does not lag (on my piece of shit computer even). But...

WTF were you thinking - the logistics of the map make NO sense whatsoever. You do realize hopefully that the two roller coasters never even meet (CT + T), it's quite funny, I was looking forward to the coaster actually going through the gateway but after several minutes a seizure worthy roller coaster ride, I gave up! You should really consider making it 1) steerable or 2) actually lead the two teams into fighting zones :-) and possibly show the track... Usually in Counter-strike, we try to kill each other but this map made me want to kill myself ;-).

Keep trying though because I really want another rollercoaster map! Rough start but hey, you only get better :-).

Slmclarengt
? Are you talking about the second one? Because... a few things...
1. At full speed the coaster takes 1-1:20 to get to its final point...
2. Unless i messed up thee ent setup on the final compile it does get to a "fighting zone"
3. Making it steerable would lock it to a certain altitude and make it a vehicle... a different ent and a different concept then a coaster
4. that map wass more or less a concept map, no way I would ever release it, it was just to show where the map is going
5. Thats all

If you are using the fy_rollercoaster version then I have no idea what you are talking about... he_rollercoaster is something else entirely.
... Now is seizure worthy good or bad?