Raised This Month: $ Target: $400
 0% 

Text + Grammar filter (using a .txt file)

Post New Thread Reply   

HexD
Old 11-01-2006 , 05:30   Text + Grammar filter (using a .txt file)
Reply With Quote #1

This idea has been done to some effect, however most filters will only block certain word's on a list. I want to only allow certain word's on a list, reason being it will stop anyone speaking another language to the one your server wishes to use, also it would block badly spelt word's (l337 speak...) or word's using just CAPS. Also it will use the correct grammar, meaning the first word of a sentence will need a capital letter at the start and the last word will need a fullstop. Using comma's can be optional.

I understand for this to work it would mean having a massive list of every word you want to be allowed, I don't know if that will have an effect on server performance, but I am will'ing to write the english .txt file.

I'm thinking of a layout for the text file to be something like this:

"Noob", "noob", "noob,", "noob."

""'s surround the text that will trigger the plugin. , seperates the different text.

This is just an idea I had, I'm not 100% sure on it's fault or whatever, hence why i posted it because I'm sure someone will find a fault somewhere. Fire away!
Send a message via MSN to HexD
NowakFilip
BANNED
Old 11-01-2006 , 06:22   Re: Text + Grammar filter (using a .txt file)
Reply With Quote #2

That's a cool idea, because in my server people speak in different languages and i don't know what is going on, it will be gerat if somone will make this plugin.
HexD
Old 11-01-2006 , 09:16   Re: Text + Grammar filter (using a .txt file)
Reply With Quote #3

If other people can be arsed to write a .txt file for their own language then this plugin could be really usefull to admins who are baffled by player's who speak in different languages.

Does no one else have some thought's about this idea?
Brad
AMX Mod X Team Member
Old 11-01-2006 , 09:22   Re: Text + Grammar filter (using a .txt file)
Reply With Quote #4

Old 11-01-2006 , 14:59   Re: Text + Grammar filter (using a .txt file)
Reply With Quote #5

I'm will'ing to make a .txt, if you want me to.
HexD
Old 11-02-2006 , 01:26   Re: Text + Grammar filter (using a .txt file)
Reply With Quote #6

For what language?

I can cover the english one, i plan on just getting hold of a dictionary and copying it front to back.

First we need someone who can make the plugin to read and enforce the words in the .txt.

I had a think about how to make less impact on the server but with my limited knowledge I'm not sure if it will or not.
Instead of having one massive list of words maybe catergorise word's in order of the alphabet and have say 50 words per page.

Let's say someone say's:

"My name is Jim Brady"

The plugin would check to see if the first word begins with a capital which it does, so it would move on to check weather that word is a listed one. If it didnt it would'nt print the message and instead print a default message saying why the message was'nt allowed.

The word begins with "M" so the plugin would open the "M" .txt and scan for the word, if it finds the word it will move on to the next word and repeat the same process, if it doesnt find a word then the message won't be printed and instead a message explaining why it was printed will be shown.

If the individual .txt files are still to big maybe catergorising them more could help, say for instance words that start with "A" could be divided up by using their second letter aswell. So now we have "ab", "ac", "ad" and so on and instead of searching by the first letter we could use the first letter as folder's.

For example, someone says "The sky is falling."
The plugin checks for capital letter at the start, then see's the first letter is a "T" so it would open the "T" folder, then it see's the second letter is a "H" so it opens the "TH" .txt file.

Sorry if my explaining is bad its 7am i have just woke up after having a dream about beating a disable girl in a swimming contest (pretty weird) so I aint quite with it yet, but you should be able to get some idea's from this now.

One last thing, i noticed none of the big names are posting so my guess is you don't think this is a good idea for some reason. I can respect that but please enlighten me as to why it's not a good idea and maybe i can think of a better way. Just a little bit of feedback from people who know and understand what is involved to do what i want to do is all i ask for

Last edited by HexD; 11-02-2006 at 02:06.
NowakFilip
BANNED
Old 11-02-2006 , 06:01   Re: Text + Grammar filter (using a .txt file)
Reply With Quote #7

Yeah, i was thinking about englisg .txt file too, so you can do the txt file and i will try to work on the plugin with somone ok.
HexD
Old 11-02-2006 , 09:23   Re: Text + Grammar filter (using a .txt file)
Reply With Quote #8

Sounds like a plan ;)

I think first we should just do all the word's begining with "A" as a test and if that lags the server we will know doing all words would be a waste of time.

Let me know how you want the layout of the .txt to be, and then i will start writting it.
Brad
AMX Mod X Team Member
Old 11-02-2006 , 09:48   Re: Text + Grammar filter (using a .txt file)
Reply With Quote #9

You guys can keep going if you'd like but it's my opinion that it'll be a total waste of your time.
Old 11-02-2006 , 10:17   Re: Text + Grammar filter (using a .txt file)
Reply With Quote #10

Why is that?

You must have some reason to say that, why not tell us