Raised This Month: $ Target: $400
 0% 

I need to buy a PC for ~15 servers

Post New Thread Reply   

Speed!
BANNED
Old 03-27-2009 , 19:31   I need to buy a PC for ~15 servers
Reply With Quote #1

Right, I will be running near 3 zombie plagues 32 slots (maybe more) 8 normal 12 slots servers, and maybe the rest, 16 slots and near.

I'm not looking for a 500 fps server, not even near with running at ~80 fps its right.

And also I will be running a Mu online (small).

Don't come telling about 3000 US$ sets, since I am not available to pay that amount, and also I'm not looking for that performance.

Tell me about ram, processor, power supply, motherboard and anything that may be useful.

The PC will be in a datacenter, I have 2 racks units for using it. I have never set a PC for a rack, so I don't actually know about the cabinet.

And btw, the best is Windows server 2003 RC2 isn't it?

I apologize much your help, and btw I have no problem with giving the appropriate +karma to everyone that helps since this is really important for me
DeLiriuM
Old 03-28-2009 , 05:37   Re: I need to buy a PC for ~15 servers
Reply With Quote #2

Well, the best is linux/freebsd.
You'll need around 1500 $. Ofcourse I don't know what you exactly want for performance. From my experience Zombie Plague takes a lot of CPU usage and with one quad core processor, just with those 3 server, 1 core will be at 100 % usage(and more).
For the actual machine, you'll need a quad core processor (maybe 2) @ 2,86 GHz, and about 4 GB of ram, with a motherboard from supermicro.
Old 03-28-2009 , 09:17   Re: I need to buy a PC for ~15 servers
Reply With Quote #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeLiriuM View Post
You'll need around 1500 $. Ofcourse I don't know what you exactly want for performance. From my experience Zombie Plague takes a lot of CPU usage and with one quad core processor, just with those 3 server, 1 core will be at 100 % usage(and more).
For the actual machine, you'll need a quad core processor (maybe 2) @ 2,86 GHz, and about 4 GB of ram, with a motherboard from supermicro.
Thanks for answering
But, actually, Im having a PC, not mine, but in a datacenter that I pay per month.
Its like this
[IMG]http://img299.**************/img299/7135/lnj3.png[/IMG]

Its running 3 ZP which are actually tuned(I mean edited and they use even more CPU) and it isn't using that lot of CPU USAGE, also its running another 8 servers (12 ~ 16 slots)
[IMG]http://img27.**************/img27/6380/lnj1.png[/IMG]

I thought in a PC like this:
q6600
4gb ram
p5n-e SLI
550w power supply
windows 2003 server
(linux might be better, but I'm not really used to it, and its crappy for many plugins)

Thanks again
I will wait for your anwer =D

Last edited by Speed!; 03-28-2009 at 09:27.
YamiKaitou
Has a lovely bunch of coconuts
Old 03-28-2009 , 11:15   Re: I need to buy a PC for ~15 servers
Reply With Quote #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeLiriuM View Post
This is actually sort of false. In terms of HLDS and SRCDS, SRCDS preforms better on Windows than Linux. This might be true about HLDS as well, but I haven't tested that yet. The same is probably true about other games out there as well.

I do not browse the forums regularly anymore. If you need me for anything (asking questions or anything else), then PM me (be descriptive in your PM, message containing only a link to a thread will be ignored).
Speed!
BANNED
Old 03-28-2009 , 12:05   Re: I need to buy a PC for ~15 servers
Reply With Quote #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by YamiKaitou View Post
This is actually sort of false. In terms of HLDS and SRCDS, SRCDS preforms better on Windows than Linux. This might be true about HLDS as well, but I haven't tested that yet. The same is probably true about other games out there as well.
So, you think with a
Quote:
q6600
4gb ram
p5n-e SLI
550w power supply
will be OK?
DeLiriuM
Old 03-28-2009 , 15:46   Re: I need to buy a PC for ~15 servers
Reply With Quote #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by YamiKaitou View Post
Yes, windows is better for 2-3-4-5 servers, but if someone decides to run more than 10 servers, its better to use *unix based systems.
Old 03-28-2009 , 18:04   Re: I need to buy a PC for ~15 servers
Reply With Quote #7

Should be good enough for 200+ connected players (Classic CS 1.6). You need to check the usage when all of them are full.

I can say that I can run XXXX amounts of servers when they're all empty.

Get a dedicated Intel NIC too.
Speed!
BANNED
Old 03-28-2009 , 21:40   Re: I need to buy a PC for ~15 servers
Reply With Quote #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by P4rD0nM3 View Post
Should be good enough for 200+ connected players (Classic CS 1.6). You need to check the usage when all of them are full.

I can say that I can run XXXX amounts of servers when they're all empty.

Get a dedicated Intel NIC too.
Ohhh I missed that :\
I need 2 info's urgently.
1- What mother board should have, since I'm having 2 IP's?
2- What about the cabinet? the datancenter says 2 racks units, I dont know how should be like the cabinet :\

Last edited by Speed!; 03-28-2009 at 21:44.
Veteran Member
Old 03-28-2009 , 22:08   Re: I need to buy a PC for ~15 servers
Reply With Quote #9

1. Those two things are not related at all.
2. That depends mostly on the required airflow. The required airflow depends on the hardware that is used, and all that depends on you.

I strongly suggest to read some about the basics, so your choices will be based on what you need instead of on what other people 'know' (despite all good intentions) is good. Hint: start with the CPUs, end with the case and power supply. Or get a ready made rack server - not a PC, that's for use at home ;)

Oh, and the best OS is the one that the administrator knows best, nothing else. Good luck!

Last edited by 8088; 03-28-2009 at 22:11.
P4rD0nM3
Veteran Member
Old 03-28-2009 , 22:14   Re: I need to buy a PC for ~15 servers
Reply With Quote #10

You mean 2U right? That means you can fit any 2U case on the cabinet i.e. Fitting 21 in a 42U cabinet.