Raised This Month: $ Target: $400
 0% 

[L4D2] Running SRCDS and Client Together

Post New Thread Reply   

chinagreenelvis
Old 05-31-2016 , 08:10   [L4D2] Running SRCDS and Client Together
Reply With Quote #1

I've been away from the L4D2 gaming scene for a few years now. Coming back to it, I'm noticing a few things:

1. If I fire up my dedicated server, Steam says that I'm playing the game. This was not the case last time I did this back in 2013. I'm using SRCDS in the same installation and the same directory as before, same launch files, everything. All updated as well.

2. The L4D2 client is showing me steam group servers for things to which I don't belong. Lots of them. I'm only in two groups on Steam, and I created both of them.

What gives?
DarkDeviL
SourceMod Moderator
Old 05-31-2016 , 08:18   Re: [L4D2] Running SRCDS and Client Together
Reply With Quote #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by chinagreenelvis View Post
2. The L4D2 client is showing me steam group servers for things to which I don't belong. Lots of them. I'm only in two groups on Steam, and I created both of them.

What gives?
Steam will register you as being a part of a group as soon as you have been invited to that group.

Tools such as SteamWorks that can check group memberships will say you are a member once you have been invited.

So it would would appear that ...

a) Group things works the same way with L4D2; as soon as you are invited, they show up.

or

b) Someone else has set your group id into the sv_steamgroup configuration variable, which I believe is unlikely.

Dropbox FastDL: Public folder will no longer work after March 15, 2017!
For more info, see the [SRCDS Thread], or the [HLDS Thread].

Last edited by DarkDeviL; 05-31-2016 at 08:18.
chinagreenelvis
Old 05-31-2016 , 09:33   Re: [L4D2] Running SRCDS and Client Together
Reply With Quote #3

Yeah, turns out I was following CSGO for some reason. So those are gone and taken care of.

And the solution for the other problem seem to be that I need to run my client before starting up the server. Unfortunately, this means that the server needs to be restarted if I quit the client before I can start it up again...