Raised This Month: $ Target: $400
 0% 

Linux Distro question

Post New Thread Reply   

Keeper
Old 08-31-2012 , 19:50   Linux Distro question
Reply With Quote #1

I've been developing plugins for a while now, and have never gotten "the hang" of what distro to choose. I've been using Debian 5 forever, slowly moving from gcc 3.4.6 to 4.1

I need to upgrade and move forward. I've tried Mint, Ubuntu, Fedora, even the new Debian. I have had success with each one with varying gcc versions. When I compile with gcc >= 4.4 the plugin no longer works on older machines. I get varying errors. The last one, when i did a ldd it say it wasn't a valid executable. The dlopen spits out the .so is an incorrect architecture.

So how does one go about choosing a gcc, distro? I have a feeling gcc is more important than distro...

Also, is there a way to compile the plugins on the newer machines that will work on the older ones?

Has VALVe updated their info on minimum server requirements?

Thanks for any ideas/info you have!
asherkin
SourceMod Developer
Old 09-01-2012 , 08:43  
Reply With Quote #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keeper View Post
Also, is there a way to compile the plugins on the newer machines that will work on the older ones?
Add -Wl,--hash-style=sysv to your linker flags.
Old 09-01-2012 , 08:47   Re: Linux Distro question
Reply With Quote #3

Well, I looked at a post Bail had made last year sometime. Liinux is hell, tbs. I ended up downloading and compiling gcc-4.6 on my Lenny distro. All of my plugins now can be used from DM up to CSGO. Does VALVe have a minimum requirement? I'd love to know that. I guess I could contact them and ask.

I'll try the flags though, just to learn something new

Thanks!
Old and Slow
Old 09-01-2012 , 10:29   Re: Linux Distro question
Reply With Quote #4

It's been a while, but I seem to remember that Valve developed their Linux releases on Ubuntu 9.04 using the gcc 4.1 compiler.

Yeah, it's worth a question to see if that has changed, especially if they now allow a newer gcc.

I compile and test on Fedora 12 and run on Fedora 16. The only versions of my plugins that I have sent out, I compiled on Ubuntu 9.04 or 10.04 (forgot which).