Raised This Month: $ Target: $400
 0% 

TF2 Server Help

Post New Thread Reply   

Death by Toast
Old 03-22-2011 , 13:31   TF2 Server Help
Reply With Quote #1

Hello,

Just want to say right now, sorry this post is an essay. If you can help me with any portion of this, or have any idea how to possibly fix any of whats wrong with our server, I would greatly appreciate your help. Any tips/advice to point me in the right direction are helpful. Thank you in advance.

I have been scowering the internet for quite a few hours now trying to figure out why I can't get our TF2 server (running SourceMod) to do what I want it to do.

Good News: It runs just fine right now

Bad News: Its not running how I want it to

So without breaking it, I would like to be able to set a map rotation with individual timelimits for each map in that rotation. However, I want to continue to allow admins to select any map on the server for our change map admin command in the admin menu (which works just fine).

In short what isn't working is I have no idea how to set up a rotation, and have made maplist.txt and mapcycle.txt to look like this:
Code:
pl_badwater
cp_gravelpit
koth_viaduct
ctf_turbine 
pl_swiftwater 
cp_steel 
pl_goldrush
cp_egypt_final 
pl_frontier
cp_5gorge
koth_nucleus
ctf_doublecross 
pl_upward 
cp_dustbowl
pl_thundermountain 
cp_coldfront
however reading about on these forums, making these the same seems to be a no-no. Why is that a bad thing? What do they do? And why do they have no effect on our server? (both located in orangebox/tf/ )

Also, when I edited the cfg files for the maps (putting in mp_timelimit XX) it didn't do anything different. The change I made to mp_timelimit in server.cfg changed the global map time to 30 minutes, but for example we want all KOTH maps to be 15 minutes.

To do this I created koth.cfg to look like this:
Code:
// Configfile for: King of the Hill maps

mp_timelimit 15
This file is located in: /orangebox/tf/cfg/mapconfig/gametype/

But it does nothing. All KOTH maps are set to 30 mins (the server default map time). I played with similar files for individual maps like cp_dustbowl:
Code:
// Configfile for: cp_dustbowl

mp_timelimit 44
(located in: orangebox/tf/cfg/mapconfig/maps/ )

But again, this does nothing. On a much smaller note, nominate has been broken on our server for a long time, and no one knows why. (This is why I volunteered to figure this stuff out....no one can/has the time to figure it out).

Lastly, our advertisements system is missing. In that someone set one up and lost the password to it...Not sure how it works, but wondering where I can go to disable it/figure out where it is/override it with a sourcemod plugin that would be easier to mange.

Any help would be greatly appreciated, and thank you very much in advance for simply reading this essay, nevermind if you can actually respond and help me with anything.
Leonardo
Veteran Member
Old 03-22-2011 , 14:08   Re: TF2 Server Help
Reply With Quote #2

try put cfgs to /tf/cfg/
Ginxeng
Old 03-22-2011 , 15:36   Re: TF2 Server Help
Reply With Quote #3

Try what leonardo said. I dont where you got the info to make folders /mapconfig/maps/

As for advertisements try looking in the plugins folder and see if anything has to do with the name advertisements or something and move that plugin to the disabled folder. If you want advertisements try this http://forums.alliedmods.net/showthread.php?p=592536

Last edited by Ginxeng; 03-22-2011 at 15:39.
Send a message via AIM to Ginxeng Send a message via MSN to Ginxeng Send a message via Skype™ to Ginxeng
Lob (UK
Veteran Member
Old 03-22-2011 , 15:56   Re: TF2 Server Help
Reply With Quote #4

For specific map configs on OB CS:S and TF2, i put the cfg folder in the map folder i.e.

\orangebox\cstrike\maps\cfg\de_dust.cfg

\orangebox\tf\maps\cfg\cp_dustbowl.cfg

- Lob (UK)
Death by Toast
Old 03-22-2011 , 17:00   Re: TF2 Server Help
Reply With Quote #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leonardo View Post
try put cfgs to /tf/cfg/
Just tried this, and while I didn't reboot the server (don't think I have to, but will try it later on) it didn't take for koth.cfg (trying to set all koth maps to 15 mins).

But, it did work for pl_badwater! This is great! Any ideas how to set a gametype config file up (what I want to do for all koth maps for example)

Thank you very much for helping me out

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ginxeng View Post
Try what leonardo said. I dont where you got the info to make folders /mapconfig/maps/

As for advertisements try looking in the plugins folder and see if anything has to do with the name advertisements or something and move that plugin to the disabled folder. If you want advertisements try this http://forums.alliedmods.net/showthread.php?p=592536
I volunteered to "clean up"/"fix" our existing clan server. So I have no idea why 90% of the server is set up how it is, I just go with it. Thats why I'm here trying to figure things out

As far as plugins go, you simply drag a file like nextmap.smx (or whatever .smx file) to the disabled folder and suddenly its off? Interesting...Thanks.

Of the plugins listed, the ones I don't recognize are:
  • admin-flatfile.smx
  • adminhelp.smx
  • basechat.smx
  • basecomm.smx
  • basecommands.smx
  • basetriggers.smx
  • basevotes.smx
  • clientprefs.smx
  • playercommands.smx
  • sm_adsmysql.smx --- this one perhaps?
  • superlogs-tf2.smx
  • vbping.smx

If any of those jump out, or if you know what "sm_adsmysql.smx" please let me know.

And I will look into that link, thank you very much for the help, greatly appreciated!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lob (UK View Post
For specific map configs on OB CS:S and TF2, i put the cfg folder in the map folder i.e.

\orangebox\cstrike\maps\cfg\de_dust.cfg

\orangebox\tf\maps\cfg\cp_dustbowl.cfg

- Lob (UK)
It seemed to work for badwater to put it in tf/cfg. But no luck with my gametype config file. The directory tf/maps/cfg doesn't exist. Should I just create one? If so what goes in there? Thank you in advance

Greatly appreciate all the help, you guys have way exceeded my expectations with this, thanks a million!
Lob (UK
Veteran Member
Old 03-22-2011 , 17:22   Re: TF2 Server Help
Reply With Quote #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Death by Toast View Post
It seemed to work for badwater to put it in tf/cfg. But no luck with my gametype config file. The directory tf/maps/cfg doesn't exist. Should I just create one? If so what goes in there? Thank you in advance

Greatly appreciate all the help, you guys have way exceeded my expectations with this, thanks a million!
Its just your map.cfgs that go in this folder.

Just create a new folder named cfg in your tf/maps folder.

Then create map.cfg's for each map that you want to change specific settings on and place each of them in orangebox\tf\maps\cfg

Here is a cp_dustbowl.cfg with timelimit added to it. You can add whatever cvars you want to it. The map specific cfg's load after the server.cfg.

- Lob (UK)
Attached Files
File Type: cfg cp_dustbowl.cfg (15 Bytes, 278 views)
Death by Toast
Old 03-22-2011 , 18:40   Re: TF2 Server Help
Reply With Quote #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lob (UK View Post
Its just your map.cfgs that go in this folder.

Just create a new folder named cfg in your tf/maps folder.

Then create map.cfg's for each map that you want to change specific settings on and place each of them in orangebox\tf\maps\cfg

Here is a cp_dustbowl.cfg with timelimit added to it. You can add whatever cvars you want to it. The map specific cfg's load after the server.cfg.

- Lob (UK)
Thank you very much for this info, however I made a folder located at: /orangebox/tf/maps/cfg to contain the .cfg files and now it doesn't work anymore. I reverted back to storing them inside tf/cfg since that does work.

Unfortunately the koth.cfg (a gametype config file like cp.cfg or pl.cfg) isn't working in either location. Do you know where I would have to place a file such as koth.cfg for it to function?

Or if that won't work is there a way to make a .cfg file such as koth_sawmill.cfg redirect to koth.cfg so that I would be able to set global settings per gametype rather than per map?

Thanks in advance

Last edited by Death by Toast; 03-22-2011 at 18:44.
Death by Toast
Old 03-22-2011 , 19:56   Re: TF2 Server Help
Reply With Quote #8

Also I am looking to install this plug in: http://forums.alliedmods.net/showthread.php?p=649814 but I don't know how I can set things like sm_fastrespawn_enabled and such to tweak the plug in. Do I make a .cfg file for it somewhere? If so, where?

Thanks in advance once again for any/all help with this
Lob (UK
Veteran Member
Old 03-22-2011 , 20:52   Re: TF2 Server Help
Reply With Quote #9

Quote:
Thank you very much for this info, however I made a folder located at: /orangebox/tf/maps/cfg to contain the .cfg files and now it doesn't work anymore. I reverted back to storing them inside tf/cfg since that does work.

Unfortunately the koth.cfg (a gametype config file like cp.cfg or pl.cfg) isn't working in either location. Do you know where I would have to place a file such as koth.cfg for it to function?

Or if that won't work is there a way to make a .cfg file such as koth_sawmill.cfg redirect to koth.cfg so that I would be able to set global settings per gametype rather than per map?

Thanks in advance
Yep i looked into this further and for some reason, the cfgs dont get recognised properly in the maps/cfg folder for TF2.

However, they work perfectly fine in maps/cfg for CS:S as i have about 50 cfgs in that folder on my CSS Servers.

Bit odd seeing as CS:S and TF2 are both OB LoL

So anyway yeah, use tf/cfg/mapname.cfg for TF2 and it should work fine.

If you are having problems with your koth.cfg, then try making a cfg for the actual koth map name and put the cfg in tf/cfg and then put all your settings in that cfg.

So for example koth_viaduct.cfg

- Lob (UK)
Lob (UK
Veteran Member
Old 03-22-2011 , 21:07   Re: TF2 Server Help
Reply With Quote #10

Quote:
Also I am looking to install this plug in: http://forums.alliedmods.net/showthread.php?p=649814 but I don't know how I can set things like sm_fastrespawn_enabled and such to tweak the plug in. Do I make a .cfg file for it somewhere? If so, where?

Thanks in advance once again for any/all help with this
Put the Cvars in your server.cfg. If you want to use different spawn times for different maps, then put the cvars in your mapname.cfg

These are the cvars for that plugin you linked.

Code:
sm_fastrespawn_enabled (0/1, def 1)
Enable/disable fast respawn for TF2.

sm_fastrespawn_blu (def 10.0)
Respawn time for Blu team in TF2.

sm_fastrespawn_red (def 10.0)
Respawn time for Red team in TF2.
- Lob (UK)