Raised This Month: $51 Target: $400
 12% 

Best N out of M matches = Map Change

Post New Thread Reply   

darkfoon
Old 07-20-2011 , 14:57   Best N out of M matches = Map Change
Reply With Quote #1

I've been searching for a plugin for TF2 (but it could work for any mod for that matter) that changes maps when a team has won N rounds out of M.
For example, if the server is on cp_granary, and RED wins 2 out of 3 rounds, then it goes to cp_gravelpit.
So far, I haven't been able to find a plugin that does this. And I can't get that kind of behavior with mp_maxrounds and mp_winlimit.

This sort of thing seems so common to me, there must be a plugin for it already that I can't find. I'd appreciate being directed to a plugin, if it exists.
If no plugin exists, then I guess this is a request.

Thank you for your time.

P.S.
sorry for first posting this in the AMX Mod X forum. I really should stop posting without sleeping first.
Steell
SourceMod Donor
Old 07-20-2011 , 15:45   Re: Best N out of M matches = Map Change
Reply With Quote #2

Isn't that how mp_winlimit works? Setting mp_winlimit to 2 will satisfy your example (map will change once a team wins 2 rounds, which means unless there is a tie that there will be a max of 3 rounds played).
Old 07-20-2011 , 16:54   Re: Best N out of M matches = Map Change
Reply With Quote #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steell View Post
Isn't that how mp_winlimit works? Setting mp_winlimit to 2 will satisfy your example (map will change once a team wins 2 rounds, which means unless there is a tie that there will be a max of 3 rounds played).
Only if
Code:
mp_stalemate_enable 1
is set, which enables sudden death. Otherwise, a round can stalemate and award a win to neither team.

P.S. You'd think that cvar would disable sudden death rather than enable it...
Old 07-21-2011 , 02:48   Re: Best N out of M matches = Map Change
Reply With Quote #4

The problem I keep having with mp_winlimit, however, is on multi-stage maps, like cp_badlands, or on payload maps. For example, with mp_winlimit 2, when blue captures the first two stages of badlands, for example, it goes to the next map instead of counting winning the entire map as a "win". Same for payload maps, multistage or otherwise.

Last edited by darkfoon; 07-21-2011 at 03:28. Reason: clarity
Powerlord
AlliedModders Donor
Old 07-21-2011 , 09:18   Re: Best N out of M matches = Map Change
Reply With Quote #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkfoon View Post
The problem I keep having with mp_winlimit, however, is on multi-stage maps, like cp_badlands, or on payload maps. For example, with mp_winlimit 2, when blue captures the first two stages of badlands, for example, it goes to the next map instead of counting winning the entire map as a "win". Same for payload maps, multistage or otherwise.
That's... odd, considering that the auto-scramble system correctly only triggers after 2 entire map rounds.
Old 07-23-2011 , 05:36   Re: Best N out of M matches = Map Change
Reply With Quote #6

Tonight, just to make sure I wasn't misinterpreting things, I tried setting
mp_timelimit 45 and mp_maxrounds 0 and mp_winlimit 3. In theory, this should simulate best 3 out of 5. (first team to 3 wins). I never reached the time limit.
On KOTH maps, it works as intended.
On cp_gravelpit, once all three points are captured, the map changes.
EDIT: now this is confusing; cp_coldfront doesn't score a win for a team until they capture all the points. which contrasts with gravelpit. theoretically, coldfront performs as desired.
On pl_thundermountain, the cart captures the first two points, and then it moves to the next stage. The cart captures the first point of the second stage, and the map changes.

Is there something I am doing wrong to get the desired behavior on map types other than KOTH? I will gladly post config(s), but at this point, it seems like that would be getting off-topic from requesting a plugin.

Last edited by darkfoon; 07-23-2011 at 05:40.
Powerlord
AlliedModders Donor
Old 07-25-2011 , 11:24   Re: Best N out of M matches = Map Change
Reply With Quote #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkfoon View Post
Tonight, just to make sure I wasn't misinterpreting things, I tried setting
mp_timelimit 45 and mp_maxrounds 0 and mp_winlimit 3. In theory, this should simulate best 3 out of 5. (first team to 3 wins). I never reached the time limit.
On KOTH maps, it works as intended.
On cp_gravelpit, once all three points are captured, the map changes.
EDIT: now this is confusing; cp_coldfront doesn't score a win for a team until they capture all the points. which contrasts with gravelpit. theoretically, coldfront performs as desired.
On pl_thundermountain, the cart captures the first two points, and then it moves to the next stage. The cart captures the first point of the second stage, and the map changes.

Is there something I am doing wrong to get the desired behavior on map types other than KOTH? I will gladly post config(s), but at this point, it seems like that would be getting off-topic from requesting a plugin.
Likely, Valve only intended mp_winlimit to be used on CP Symmetric, CTF, and KOTH maps.

I'd suggest using mp_winlimit on these types of maps and mp_maxrounds on pl/plr/cp attack defend/tc using the Map configs with prefixes plugin, but Valve dumbly used two different control point gameplay styles with the same prefix.

P.S. cp_gravelpit is CP Attack/Defend, while cp_coldfront is CP Symmetric, which is why they're tracked differently.
Old 07-26-2011 , 04:44   Re: Best N out of M matches = Map Change
Reply With Quote #8

This is why I use map specific configs for commands like mp_timelimit, mp_winlimit, mp_windifference, etc.
Valve really needs to fix up the way these commands work on all the maps so things work as expected.