Raised This Month: $51 Target: $400
 12% 

Issue Webpanel..

Post New Thread Reply   

JayKAy123
Old 03-24-2013 , 21:37   Webpanel..
Reply With Quote #1

Okay so I have no idea where to locate my "webserver" or if I even have a webserver. Does anyone know if Gameservers comes with a webserver? And where would I place the webpanel files if gameservers does come with a webserver?
thetwistedpanda
Good Little Panda
Old 03-24-2013 , 22:14   Re: Webpanel..
Reply With Quote #2

You purchase a web server from another provider; it's completely separate from a GSP (in most cases. Some providers package them or provide both). For example, I rent a VPS from packhead.com and a Cloud storage from UbiquityHosting.com. Both of which could work for a "web server" as far as the Store is concerned.

Last edited by thetwistedpanda; 03-24-2013 at 22:14.
JayKAy123
Old 03-24-2013 , 22:34   Re: Webpanel..
Reply With Quote #3

Thank you for the response, for Ubiquity Hosting, is the "webserver" located under "Shared Web Hosting?" And do I just drag and drop the folder into the webserver after?
thetwistedpanda
Good Little Panda
Old 03-25-2013 , 00:49   Re: Webpanel..
Reply With Quote #4

I wouldn't recommend using Ubiquity just to use Store. I use them for FastDL, amongst other things (can't open ports on Shared), but $70 a year for just Store may be overkill. I'd recommend PackHead for that, but it's a Linux VPS using Kloxxo (open source control panel), so it may be daunting trying to set it up just for Store. The ~$3.50 montly option is more than capable of running sourcebans, store, forums for a small community. Other users may have suggestions, of course.

Last edited by thetwistedpanda; 03-25-2013 at 00:50.
Arrow768
Veteran Member
Old 03-25-2013 , 12:30   Re: Webpanel..
Reply With Quote #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by thetwistedpanda View Post
[...]I'd recommend PackHead for that, but it's a Linux VPS using Kloxxo (open source control panel), so it may be daunting trying to set it up just for Store. [...]Other users may have suggestions, of course.
You recommend someone that does not know the difference between a Gameserver and a Webserver to use a Linux VPS ? Do you really think, that he will be able to secure a Linux Server and prevent that it is abused ?

@JayKAy123
If you have no idea about linux, you should NOT use a VPS because you would have to use a text-console to administrate it (if it cant be done via a webinterface). And you should also know, that you are responsible for everything that happens with your VPS. So if someone can get into the VPS and abuse it for illegal things, you can be sentenced for it (no matter if you have done it or not). (at least in austria/germany, but it will be similar all over the world)

Last edited by Arrow768; 03-25-2013 at 12:31.
thetwistedpanda
Good Little Panda
Old 03-25-2013 , 20:19   Re: Webpanel..
Reply With Quote #6

I'm assuming the end user is bright enough to understand how to Google, but as you can see I did specify that it would be difficult. But even if one has no Linux experience, Kloxxo and the relating support articles are easy enough to work out if one at least tries. There's nothing "text-console" related for installing Store on Kloxxo, which is why I recommended it - there's no linux experience necessary. I had zero and still managed to get everything running properly within a couple of hours thanks to a quick google on specific issues. Hardening a VPS is a little more complicated, since you'd actually have to use console, but again, linux-idiots can easily figure it out on google.

Last edited by thetwistedpanda; 03-25-2013 at 20:26.
vodka00
Veteran Member
Old 03-25-2013 , 22:36   Re: Webpanel..
Reply With Quote #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by thetwistedpanda View Post
I'm assuming the end user is bright enough to understand how to Google
Oh, man. You'd be surprised.

cw speedruns:
thetwistedpanda
Good Little Panda
Old 03-25-2013 , 22:50   Re: Webpanel..
Reply With Quote #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by vodka00 View Post
Oh, man. You'd be surprised.
Oh trust me, I'm not, I just ignore PEBKAC cases where the user can't bother to help him/her self. But until I see signs otherwise, I at least give the benefit of the doubt ;3. If someone isn't willing to spend a few minutes to try and learn something they're not worth my time.

Last edited by thetwistedpanda; 03-25-2013 at 22:50.