MySQL and UTF8 Strings

Post New Thread Reply   

claudiuhks
Yam Inside®™℠
Old 01-28-2014 , 03:25   Re: MySQL and UTF8 strings
Reply With Quote #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by ^SmileY View Post
Change the codification of webpage, maybe this will resolve problems like this.

(I think)
What webpage do you mean? I told you phpMyAdmin which is a webpage created by experts, shows strings inserted by AMX Mod X's MySQL wrong. This should be a MySQL bug, and I hope it will be fixed. Furthermore, I don't understand why MySQL doesn't support wchar_t yet. An Unicode character has the size doubled than an ANSI character. Or, there could be some conversion methods http://utfcpp.sourceforge.net/ that I don't know to use and should be implemented by AMX Mod X development team.

Someone also did report this problem, but I see he didn't say whether he did solve or not StackOverflow.

Last edited by claudiuhks; 01-28-2014 at 03:33.
Send a message via MSN to claudiuhks Send a message via Yahoo to claudiuhks Send a message via Skype™ to claudiuhks
^SmileY
Veteran Member
Old 01-28-2014 , 05:16   Re: MySQL and UTF8 strings
Reply With Quote #12

"codification of webpage" > "codification of your navigator"

- See my Git Hub: https://github.com/SmileYzn
PHP Code:
set_pcvar_num(pCvar, !get_pcvar_num(pCvar)); 
Send a message via MSN to ^SmileY Send a message via Skype™ to ^SmileY
fysiks
Veteran Member
Old 01-28-2014 , 05:43   Re: MySQL and UTF8 strings
Reply With Quote #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by ^SmileY View Post
"codification of webpage" > "codification of your navigator"
"encoding" not "codification"
Old 01-28-2014 , 16:15   Re: MySQL and UTF8 strings
Reply With Quote #14

Same mentioned here: http://forums.alliedmods.net/showthread.php?t=94724
The Hidden
Cowboys vs Indians
JailBreak Supreme
Survival Madness
^SmileY
Veteran Member
Old 01-29-2014 , 08:40   Re: MySQL and UTF8 strings
Reply With Quote #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuskiS View Post
not, SET UTF8 NAMES query will force the db to use utf8, not a encoding of navigator to display correct text in phpmyadmin (?)

- See my Git Hub: https://github.com/SmileYzn
PHP Code:
set_pcvar_num(pCvar, !get_pcvar_num(pCvar)); 
Send a message via MSN to ^SmileY Send a message via Skype™ to ^SmileY
Powerlord
AlliedModders Donor
Old 01-29-2014 , 14:00   Re: MySQL and UTF8 strings
Reply With Quote #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by claudiuhks View Post
What webpage do you mean? I told you phpMyAdmin which is a webpage created by experts, shows strings inserted by AMX Mod X's MySQL wrong.
That's great, except that the text sent between you and phpMyAdmin (and the other direction as well) is determined by the webserver by default. Fun fact: Apache, the most popular webserver in the world, defaults to ISO-8859-1 not UTF-8.

Quote:
Originally Posted by claudiuhks View Post
This should be a MySQL bug, and I hope it will be fixed. Furthermore, I don't understand why MySQL doesn't support wchar_t yet. An Unicode character has the size doubled than an ANSI character. Or, there could be some conversion methods http://utfcpp.sourceforge.net/ that I don't know to use and should be implemented by AMX Mod X development team.

Someone also did report this problem, but I see he didn't say whether he did solve or not StackOverflow.
MySQL supports setting the character type (and collation) per column instead, defaulting to whatever was used when the CREATE DATABASE was issued or whatever the server defaults were when said database was created. (defaults for those are latin1 and latin1_swedish_ci).

This tidbit is relevant in the description of char fields:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MySQL Manual
The following table illustrates the differences between CHAR and VARCHAR by showing the result of storing various string values into CHAR(4) and VARCHAR(4) columns (assuming that the column uses a single-byte character set such as latin1).
(Said table showed 4 for the CHAR columns and the string length + 1 for VARCHAR columns)

Last edited by Powerlord; 01-29-2014 at 14:01.
claudiuhks
Yam Inside®™℠
Old 01-29-2014 , 21:44   Re: MySQL and UTF8 strings
Reply With Quote #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Powerlord View Post
(Said table showed 4 for the CHAR columns and the string length + 1 for VARCHAR columns)
My columns are TEXT type and my database and server connection's encoding is set to UTF8MB4, utf8mb4_unicode_ci collation. Do you know how the problem may be fixed?

When inserting characters 畷治 to column (manually with phpMyAdmin), I am able to search matches using Index.PHP?Match=畷治. I think Apache and PHP are alright.

Last edited by claudiuhks; 01-31-2014 at 22:16.
Send a message via MSN to claudiuhks Send a message via Yahoo to claudiuhks Send a message via Skype™ to claudiuhks
-Px-
Old 03-01-2014 , 06:04   Re: MySQL and UTF8 strings
Reply With Quote #18

A bit late, but anyway, if someone find this topic via search. There are several caveats in using UTF8 in amxx, they are solvable, but with some drawbacks. By default, amxx use iso8859-1 in communication with mysql, and there is no way to set proper encoding in amxx.
First workaround, if you have full control on DB server, and there is no other clients which need different from UTF8 encoding, you can just add
character-set-server=utf8
collation-server=utf8_general_ci
skip-character-set-client-handshake
to my.cnf and problem should be solved. One case, when its not, will be covered later.
Second way is to specify encoding on connection, and you have two choices: use synchronous api and execute "SET NAMES 'utf8'" right after connection, or use more popular threaded api and prepend needed queries with same SET NAMES 'utf8', but in that case you may be hit by bug in amxx, it doesn't return you InsertId after Insert query and you need to make another query to determine it.
One additional problem, which I discovered recently, is when you have some .inc module called from .sma, and you have strings in non-iso8859-1 encoding (example, declared constant: new const posted_title[] = "Всё вижу...";), then even you save that module in UTF8, compiler generated code(?) reads them as UTF8, but then make some lousy conversion to iso8859-1 so even first amx_log call show them as garbage in log. Didn't investigate this further, just moved them to main .sma code, passed into .inc as variables, and all works fine.
In any case, finding what is wrong without providing the code is hard and time wasting, so its not strange that topic starter didn't solve his issue.
Arkshine
AMX Mod X Plugin Approver
Old 04-18-2014 , 16:39   Re: MySQL and UTF8 Strings
Reply With Quote #19

SQL_SetCharset has been added in git3799+. See sqlx.inc for more infos.
Old 04-18-2014 , 17:13   Re: MySQL and UTF8 Strings
Reply With Quote #20

Finally, thank you
The Hidden
Cowboys vs Indians
JailBreak Supreme
Survival Madness