Raised This Month: $51 Target: $400
 12% 

Would AMX Mod X work for Sven Co-op 5.0?

Post New Thread Reply   

Rapidgame7
Old 02-02-2016 , 22:15   Would AMX Mod X work for Sven Co-op 5.0?
Reply With Quote #1

Title.

Since AMX Mod X was designed more for GoldSrc games, I have some doubts as for if the plugins I plan adding into the game would work.

For example, since I want to create a public server, everyone joins quickly and they don't seem to reason or want to cooperate with the other players, so instead of always grabbing RCON to kick/ban them, I could open the AMX menu and kick them from there, kill them, give weapons, whatever.
I haven't seen any tools that come with Sven Co-op that helps in moderation, only the votes but people often abuse them.

Would AMX Mod X work in Sven Co-op 5?

EDIT: Is this the correct place to ask this?

Last edited by Rapidgame7; 02-02-2016 at 22:22.
Send a message via Skype™ to Rapidgame7
GinNNy
Old 02-03-2016 , 00:19   Re: Would AMX Mod X work for Sven Co-op 5.0?
Reply With Quote #2

I think it will work as i saw some plugins designed for Sven Co-Op like the scxp mod.
klippy
AlliedModders Donor
Old 02-03-2016 , 02:21   Re: Would AMX Mod X work for Sven Co-op 5.0?
Reply With Quote #3

Yes, AMXX will work with SC 5.0. But beware, people have reported bugs and instability issues with it.
Also, make sure to use Metamod-P Solokiller posted on SC forums instead of the default one that comes packaged with AMXX. And someone actually released the new Metamod's code, so it would be smart to recompile AMXX against it, I don't think anyone has done it yet on SC forums.

And there is a player management plugin packaged with SC 5.0, but I am not sure if it is turned on by default. SC 5.0 has added AngelScript as a new scripting language, and it would be better if you used AS plugins instead of AMXX.
Anggara_nothing
Veteran Member
Old 02-04-2016 , 09:14   Re: Would AMX Mod X work for Sven Co-op 5.0?
Reply With Quote #4

Few hamsandwich forwards crash the server even use latest dev build (1.8.3-dev-git5000-base)
klippy
AlliedModders Donor
Old 02-04-2016 , 09:39   Re: Would AMX Mod X work for Sven Co-op 5.0?
Reply With Quote #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anggara_nothing View Post
Few hamsandwich forwards crash the server even use latest dev build (1.8.3-dev-git5000-base)
There have been a lot of changes in Sven's source code, and probably a lot of entity classes' code has changed, causing wrong vtable offsets. Developers would have to provide us with vtables of their entities, or someone will have to jump into reverse-engineering to find them out and fix them.
AMXX version has nothing to do with it by the way, it's just hamdata.ini file in your configs directory which contains wrong indexes. Wrong indexes basically make you hook and execute wrong functions, which usually leads to crash.

Last edited by klippy; 02-04-2016 at 09:40.
Rapidgame7
Old 02-04-2016 , 09:56   Re: Would AMX Mod X work for Sven Co-op 5.0?
Reply With Quote #6

Well, thanks everyoe for your answers, I think I'm going to do what KliPPy recommended me to do: I'll look for AngelScript plugins, since apparently AMXX would make the server unstable.

The programming language seems to be close to Lua, so I might be able to do a script if I feel like in need of some functionality.

Thanks everyone.
Anggara_nothing
Veteran Member
Old 02-04-2016 , 10:00   Re: Would AMX Mod X work for Sven Co-op 5.0?
Reply With Quote #7

Source : http://www.angelcode.com/angelscript/

Quote:
The AngelCode Scripting Library, or AngelScript as it is also known, is an extremely flexible cross-platform scripting library designed to allow applications to extend their functionality through external scripts. It has been designed from the beginning to be an easy to use component, both for the application programmer and the script writer.
Efforts have been made to let it call standard C functions and C++ methods with little to no need for proxy functions. The application simply registers the functions, objects, and methods that the scripts should be able to work with and nothing more has to be done with your code. The same functions used by the application internally can also be used by the scripting engine, which eliminates the need to duplicate functionality.
For the script writer the scripting language follows the widely known syntax of C/C++, but without the need to worry about pointers and memory leaks. Contrary to most scripting languages, AngelScript uses the common C/C++ datatypes for more efficient communication with the host application.
AngelScript is completely free, released under the zlib license. I only ask for your recognition, nothing else. However, if you would like to make a donation I would be very grateful. Your donation gives me more inspiration and will allow me to spend more time working with AngelScript.
Give the library a try, and let me know how you like it.
Regards,
Andreas Jönsson
Rapidgame7
Old 02-04-2016 , 10:05   Re: Would AMX Mod X work for Sven Co-op 5.0?
Reply With Quote #8

Oh, so it's based on C/C++, I actually thought it was something around Lua.
Seeing how GMod scrpts are done and playing with E2 makes me see Lua everywhere
Anggara_nothing
Veteran Member
Old 02-04-2016 , 10:33   Re: Would AMX Mod X work for Sven Co-op 5.0?
Reply With Quote #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by KliPPy View Post
AMXX version has nothing to do with it by the way, it's just hamdata.ini file in your configs directory which contains wrong indexes. Wrong indexes basically make you hook and execute wrong functions, which usually leads to crash.
or you might extract private data with angelscript
klippy
AlliedModders Donor
Old 02-04-2016 , 10:42   Re: Would AMX Mod X work for Sven Co-op 5.0?
Reply With Quote #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anggara_nothing View Post
or you might extract private data with angelscript
Possibly, but I don't know how to do that or what you are exactly aiming at.
I actually had an idea a few days ago to make a Metamod plugin hook into one of AS functions and get AS engine pointer, so I could register my own functions, add new properties and such, because Sven exposes no interface for AS.

Last edited by klippy; 02-04-2016 at 10:42.