Raised This Month: $ Target: $400
 0% 

Prevent server access to high ping players

Post New Thread Reply   

binderjeep
Old 01-20-2016 , 18:03   Prevent server access to high ping players
Reply With Quote #1

Anyone know of any code to prevent players with a ping > X from joining the server? i hate having laggy players on our server.
DarkDeviL
SourceMod Moderator
Old 01-20-2016 , 19:53   Re: Prevent server access to high ping players
Reply With Quote #2

You cannot "prevent" them from joining based on their ping.

You can restrict your server using country restriction plugins to get something like that, but it won't work 100% as also people from those countries may have a high ping sometimes. Such plugins usually use geographical data on IP addresses, which aren't 100% accurate.

Or you can do it the usual way, by kicking people with any of the anti high ping plugins available, but again, that won't kick them before they have joined.

Dropbox FastDL: Public folder will no longer work after March 15, 2017!
For more info, see the [SRCDS Thread], or the [HLDS Thread].
binderjeep
Old 01-21-2016 , 08:39   Re: Prevent server access to high ping players
Reply With Quote #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by arne1288 View Post
You cannot "prevent" them from joining based on their ping.

You can restrict your server using country restriction plugins to get something like that, but it won't work 100% as also people from those countries may have a high ping sometimes. Such plugins usually use geographical data on IP addresses, which aren't 100% accurate.

Or you can do it the usual way, by kicking people with any of the anti high ping plugins available, but again, that won't kick them before they have joined.

Conceptually though, would it really be that difficult to acheive? i mean on PlayerConnect could we not hold that players name in an array. Then identify the players "ping" somehow ( i mean the "status" function in the console lists all players and their latency) and the have an If statement, so

If PlayerConnect("player") ping => 100 then
Kick
Else
do nothing

----

Anyone have any issues with this working? if not , anyone want to code it for me. I don't have a problem paying compensation.
Miu
Veteran Member
Old 01-21-2016 , 09:09   Re: Prevent server access to high ping players
Reply With Quote #4

Is kicking them shortly after joining not sufficient? It seems much simpler
nosoop
Veteran Member
Old 01-21-2016 , 09:41   Re: Prevent server access to high ping players
Reply With Quote #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by binderjeep View Post
Conceptually though, would it really be that difficult to acheive? i mean on PlayerConnect could we not hold that players name in an array. Then identify the players "ping" somehow ...
The thing is, latency is very jittery when sampled once, and it's actually nonexistent during OnClientConnected().

Attached is a quick plugin that performs an average latency check during OnClientPutInServer(); they will fully connect, but if their latency is too high, they should be kicked before they can actually play. Recompile with your choice of latency and kick reason. Not sure how well it would work in practice; on my test server, it reports ~80ms when my ping reports ~60 after sitting in-game for a bit.

Keep in mind that since it's only being sampled once, if any player just happens to have an unusually high ping during that period, they will be kicked. I'd personally just stick to the existing anti-high-ping plugins that give clients some leeway before getting the boot.

Could also always use a mix of GeoIP / automated addition to whitelists for players that have previously passed these checks, too.
Attached Files
File Type: sp Get Plugin or Get Source (client_latency_on_join.sp - 322 views - 761 Bytes)

Last edited by nosoop; 01-21-2016 at 09:56.
pcmaster
AlliedModders Donor
Old 01-21-2016 , 12:19   Re: Prevent server access to high ping players
Reply With Quote #6

Adding to what nosoop said, downloading maps also increases your ping by quite a lot.
I have noticed that on my 75mbit/s line when I download larger maps, where my ping goes up to 250-300ms and some packet loss, despite it being 20-30ms usually.
Veteran Member
Old 01-21-2016 , 12:53   Re: Prevent server access to high ping players
Reply With Quote #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcmaster View Post
Adding to what nosoop said, downloading maps also increases your ping by quite a lot.
I have noticed that on my 75mbit/s line when I download larger maps, where my ping goes up to 250-300ms and some packet loss, despite it being 20-30ms usually.
I was thinking of that, plus my client has a tendency to freeze for a bit while connecting -- it won't alt tab or anything, so presumably it can't respond to pings either
Potato Uno
Veteran Member
Old 01-21-2016 , 13:04   Re: Prevent server access to high ping players
Reply With Quote #8

OP, unless your server is so popular that at any time t you have 50+ people trying to join it, any of the normal high ping kickers will work fine. You're unnecessarily introducing accuracy problems by narrowing the time window (as mentioned earlier with ping sampling).

You hate high ping players, but now the players will hate you for being kicked for no reason.
Neuro Toxin
Veteran Member
Old 01-21-2016 , 17:31   Re: Prevent server access to high ping players
Reply With Quote #9

Whats wrong with this:

https://forums.alliedmods.net/showthread.php?p=2312387
Old 01-21-2016 , 17:33   Re: Prevent server access to high ping players
Reply With Quote #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcmaster View Post
Isn't fast download meant to solve that?

> No help through PM, make a topic.