Raised This Month: $51 Target: $400
 12% 

COMPLETELY NEW to modding. Point me in the right direction.

Post New Thread Reply   

Dain
Old 05-28-2011 , 20:15   COMPLETELY NEW to modding. Point me in the right direction.
Reply With Quote #1

Hello everyone. So I'm in love with L4D2. I play confogl, pubfogl and lately with a group called GP Remix. Their signature mod is that on a boomer's successful attack, there are 10x the normal amount of common infected and an additional 100 jimmy gibbs too.

I would LOVE to start a clan/group but I feel as though I need to have my own server and mumble up first.

I really want to try customizing my own server. One that is hosted by a commercial hosting company; something like Nuclear Fallout Servers. nfoservers.com
I know true original modding is very complicated and very advanced. So I'm hoping to at least get to where I can use other's work to make changes to my server.

So my question is how do I get started if I don't know ANYTHING about doing this?
I read through the start of CrimsonGT's FAQ: sourcemod newbies guide. But it isn't any help to me because I don't even know enough to understand the questions, let alone the answers.

Is there a resource out there designed to help people get started?

Recap:
I am looking have my L4D2 server hosted from a commercial game hosting company.
My goal is to be able to apply other's "plugins" and/or "scripts" and/or mods. (I don't know what the actual customization files are called.)
Where can I find a guide on how to do this?

Last edited by Dain; 05-29-2011 at 16:15.
pheadxdll
AlliedModders Donor
Old 05-28-2011 , 22:14   Re: COMPLETELY NEW to modding. Point me in the right direction.
Reply With Quote #2

You just need to set up sourcemod, it's not rocket science. Get your server running, add metamod, sourcemod, and throw a couple plugins on. Most of it will be drag and drop. There's ample documentation for installation. finally get to use this

Once you got sourcemod setup, here's a list of all the L4D[2] mods. Drag n' drop in the sourcemod/plugins folder. Crimson's FAQ is great for filling in the gaps.

Last edited by pheadxdll; 05-28-2011 at 22:17.
Dain
Old 05-29-2011 , 16:08   Re: COMPLETELY NEW to modding. Point me in the right direction.
Reply With Quote #3

Pheadxdll, I appreciate your help. The problem is that I have NO experience in all this. "add metamod, sourcemod, and throw a couple plugins on." is a good overview, but I have no clue how to do any of that. I barely even know what those words mean.
Is it as simple as finding a download link for metamod and sourcemod? The documentation will be included? Do those simply enable plugins?

Last edited by Dain; 05-29-2011 at 17:43.