Raised This Month: $51 Target: $400
 12% 

Scripting in sourcepawn (editor?)

Post New Thread Reply   

bcKq
Old 01-29-2016 , 20:22   Scripting in sourcepawn (editor?)
Reply With Quote #1

Hello. I want to start writing plugins in SourcePawn. I wrote plugins for CS 1.6 (amxx) and I was using Notepad++ AlliedModders edition and looking for something like that. Is there any editor plugin (most preferably sublime text 3, or notepad++) to use? Or does sourcepawn have any sort of IDE? Also, do I have to manually compile using the compiler from scripting folder?
I can write plugins, but finding editor is hard (with highlightning etc). I saw some threads on this forum but they are, well, old.

Last edited by bcKq; 01-29-2016 at 20:22.
thecount
Veteran Member
Old 01-29-2016 , 21:53   Re: Scripting in sourcepawn (editor?)
Reply With Quote #2

I primarily used Notepad++ when I began coding SourcePawn, but I have recently swapped with SPEdit. It is compact and effective.
bcKq
Old 01-29-2016 , 22:21   Re: Scripting in sourcepawn (editor?)
Reply With Quote #3

That is exactly what I was looking for. Thank you!
Old 01-30-2016 , 21:32   Re: Scripting in sourcepawn (editor?)
Reply With Quote #4

I use Sublime Text 3 with the syntax highlighter here: https://github.com/Dillonb/SublimeSourcePawn

Along with a few edits to make 1.7 syntax show up, you can see in the pull requests what those are.

Its very convenient with a little build script you can use Ctrl+B to compile with if the file is in /scripting

PHP Code:
{

"working_dir""${project_path:${folder}}",

"shell_cmd""spcomp $file"

Another thing, I also use windows 'Hardlinks' to hardlink the compiled plugin to the plugins directory.

Last edited by Disowned; 01-30-2016 at 22:07.
KissLick
Veteran Member
Old 01-31-2016 , 05:03   Re: Scripting in sourcepawn (editor?)
Reply With Quote #5

Notepad++ with many tweaks (syntax, compile, projects, automatic version increasing, etc...)

> No help through PM, make a topic.
neatek
AlliedModders Donor
Old 02-01-2016 , 12:40   Re: Scripting in sourcepawn (editor?)
Reply With Quote #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by thecount View Post
but I have recently swapped with SPEdit. It is compact and effective.
Thanks. Best sp editor.
Old 02-04-2016 , 03:21   Re: Scripting in sourcepawn (editor?)
Reply With Quote #7

I'm running linux so SPEdit is not an option for me. Using Atom at the moment; it has a sourcepawn package for syntax highlighting.
Phil25
AlliedModders Donor
Old 02-04-2016 , 03:47   Re: Scripting in sourcepawn (editor?)
Reply With Quote #8

I'd say a script editor which lets you compile the code, move it and fire a command to a running server is a necessity. SPEdit can do that, pretty sure that Sublime could do these things too but never bothered to research it enough to know.
ThatOneGuy
Veteran Member
Old 02-04-2016 , 21:28   Re: Scripting in sourcepawn (editor?)
Reply With Quote #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by KissLick View Post
Notepad++ with many tweaks (syntax, compile, projects, automatic version increasing, etc...)
^This.

While SPEdit has a lot of functionality, it is much slower than I care for. There are several syntax highlighters with autocompletion on here for NPP. Then, you can use NPPExec to compile. Here is a sample script to compile:

Spoiler

Use the keyboard shortcut mapper to make it compile with one button combo, showing the console output below. For the output, you can customize the looks of warnings, fails, etc. You can click on the line to go to the error/warning, etc. NPP also has many tools for navigation and more, but I dont use much more than the above and a few other addons, like the python indent tool...keeping it nice and light/fast.
Old 02-04-2016 , 21:46   Re: Scripting in sourcepawn (editor?)
Reply With Quote #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThatOneGuy View Post
^This.

While SPEdit has a lot of functionality, it is much slower than I care for. There are several syntax highlighters with autocompletion on here for NPP. Then, you can use NPPExec to compile. Here is a sample script to compile:

Spoiler

Use the keyboard shortcut mapper to make it compile with one button combo, showing the console output below. For the output, you can customize the looks of warnings, fails, etc. You can click on the line to go to the error/warning, etc. NPP also has many tools for navigation and more, but I dont use much more than the above and a few other addons, like the python indent tool...keeping it nice and light/fast.

That One Guy helped me with this about 8 months ago and it's the best way. Super efficient