Raised This Month: $51 Target: $400
 12% 

Pinion Discussion Thread

Post New Thread Closed Thread   

Ixel
Old 04-03-2013 , 19:53   Re: So, who will be dropping Pinion?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Helvetica View Post
Oh, that's a relief.

I'm generally neutral on the whole forced ads issue, but if a server is going to do that, I don't think they should be eligible for quickplay anyway.

And really if you have a good server(s), people will come regardless of whether or not you have quickplay. Reputation alone should be enough to bring in players.
I thought that was the whole point of cl_disablehtmlmotd? This problem is to do with Pinion and the fact some people may have abused their completion rates and hits. So, even if a server isn't using Pinion, they're still lumped with this restriction. It's a good reason for me not to use Pinion at all from now on.
Horsedick
AlliedModders Donor
Old 04-03-2013 , 19:54   Re: So, who will be dropping Pinion?

Pinion isn't going to really get effected by this.. the MOTD will show the pinion ads when you join thru quickplay or match making 1 TIME not more than once so if you run it the way its meant to run and only when you join the server then it won't effect anyone.
Ixel
Old 04-03-2013 , 19:58   Re: So, who will be dropping Pinion?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Horsedick View Post
Pinion isn't going to really get effected by this.. the MOTD will show the pinion ads when you join thru quickplay or match making 1 TIME not more than once so if you run it the way its meant to run and only when you join the server then it won't effect anyone.
True, but those who don't use Pinion are still effected, which is the annoying part.
Horsedick
AlliedModders Donor
Old 04-03-2013 , 20:01   Re: So, who will be dropping Pinion?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ixel View Post
True, but those who don't use Pinion are still effected, which is the annoying part.

well yeah...but its Valve they listed to all the crying on SPUF, what else did you expect?
1nsane
SourceMod Donor
Old 04-03-2013 , 20:04   Re: So, who will be dropping Pinion?

Quote:
Exception Pinion forces completion rates. So now that there can be no forced timers people won't get paid at all. Unless Pinion makes changes to work with this by not require completions.

This probably just means that they will only pay for those few impressions that people spend ~30 seconds on. Which will be very little if you run MvM or matchmaking comptaible servers.

Last edited by 1nsane; 04-03-2013 at 20:05.
WebNoob
Old 04-03-2013 , 20:05   Re: So, who will be dropping Pinion?

Quote:
well yeah...but its Valve they listed to all the crying on SPUF, what else did you expect?
Players that were complaining about multiple forced in-game ads had a legitimate beef, and those doing those kinds of things brought this on themselves.

I frankly think the better decision would have been to prevent pinion servers from getting the easy quickplay traffic all together. In fact, I can honestly say I wish quickplay did not exist at all - as all it did was create these kinds of problems while not creating any real long-term value for the players.

At any rate - is there a way to test if web shortcuts still works since this only affects players who join through quickplay?
Horsedick
AlliedModders Donor
Old 04-03-2013 , 20:06   Re: So, who will be dropping Pinion?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1nsane View Post
Exception Pinion forces completion rates. So now that there can be no forced timers people won't get paid at all. Unless Pinion makes changes to work with this by not require completions.

This probably just means that they will only pay for those few impressions that people spend ~30 seconds on. Which will be very little if you run MvM or matchmaking capable servers.
There is still the opening 1 time at entry of the server of the MOTD screen even on quickplay and match making servers and the timer will still work as intented. I have my servers set to 15 seconds and I'm over 60% completion for last few months and I expect nothing to change on the main ones I have running it which are MvM servers since I only applied the single time upon entry to show the ads.
1nsane
SourceMod Donor
Old 04-03-2013 , 20:13   Re: So, who will be dropping Pinion?

Quote:
There is still the opening 1 time at entry of the server of the MOTD screen even on quickplay and match making servers and the timer will still work as intented. I have my servers set to 15 seconds and I'm over 60% completion for last few months and I expect nothing to change on the main ones I have running it which are MvM servers since I only applied the single time upon entry to show the ads.
You can't force 15 seconds anymore. Because it would open many many MOTD windows afterwards if a person closed the previous. And it would repeat that until the timer ran out. Well now people who connect through matchmaking can't be forced to watch an ad any longer than they want to. Thus your completions will go down if you have matchmaking or mvm servers.

Last edited by 1nsane; 04-03-2013 at 20:14.
Veteran Member
Old 04-03-2013 , 20:35   Re: So, who will be dropping Pinion?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1nsane View Post
You can't force 15 seconds anymore. Because it would open many many MOTD windows afterwards if a person closed the previous. And it would repeat that until the timer ran out. Well now people who connect through matchmaking can't be forced to watch an ad any longer than they want to. Thus your completions will go down if you have matchmaking or mvm servers.
It's a valid point. Technically, when the MOTD is being blocked from being closed, it's just detecting the 'Close' button being pressed and re-opening it again. That would count as multiple MOTD views and would therefore now be blocked by Valve. Can anyone with the plugin confirm this?
Old 04-03-2013 , 20:39   Re: So, who will be dropping Pinion?

ok its not that bad as i thought it would be.

connect via matchmaking = motd only once, no web shortcuts, radio etc.
connect via server browser/console = everything works

I just tested matchmaking and got connected to a lotus server and the chat commands did nothing.

Last edited by AeroAcrobat; 04-03-2013 at 20:40.
Closed Thread