Raised This Month: $51 Target: $400
 12% 

Pinion Discussion Thread

Post New Thread Closed Thread   

UMTeleporter
SourceMod Donor
Old 02-01-2013 , 00:30   Re: So, who will be dropping Pinion?

I just gotta say..

free money != something to complain about. or be entitled to.

technically, they're giving you free money to run their ads. it doesn't even matter if they change their terms, or you get less, its still free money.
PresidentEvil
AlliedModders Donor
Old 02-01-2013 , 00:34   Re: So, who will be dropping Pinion?

Quote:
Originally Posted by UMTeleporter View Post
I just gotta say..

technically, they're giving you free money to run their ads. it doesn't even matter if they change their terms, or you get less, its still free money.
umm no?

your traffic is a valuable commodity, just like consumer data for google or facebook etc

the traffic you get from players joining your server is used to forcibly make them watch an advertisement, no different than a TV commercial

its free if they would be just depositing money into my bank account, which they're not
Old 02-01-2013 , 00:44   Re: So, who will be dropping Pinion?

Don't get it twisted, we are in no way getting "free money". We advertising a product to our player and in exchange receive payment. The same way every Youtube partner gets paid, or how TV companies get paid, or radio stations get paid.

So I can understand a level of anger when terms are made that set goals that are unreachable. However, I also appreciate that a company wishes to give our communities a way to earn extra revenue. I'm willing to over look some mistakes as long as I see steady improvements in a timely and acceptable manner.
Old 02-01-2013 , 01:02   Re: So, who will be dropping Pinion?

Are you contractually required to run their advertisements [for a certain time?]

As far as i'm concerned, if you are *optionally* running their plugin, -- even if you absolutely require advertisements, there are other services do note -- the ones really paying are the clients that are being forced to watch them. and you are (or where the profits end up) just reaping the rewards.

that is technically what is going on when you run advertisements like this.

If the answer to my first question is No, you're not set up in an exclusive business agreement or anything even remotely down the line, you're not being paid -- you're being offered an incentive to do something, that is all.

If it is Yes, then I have certainly misunderstood something here.
PBSGTS
Old 02-01-2013 , 07:46   Re: So, who will be dropping Pinion?

Quote:
Are you contractually required to run their advertisements [for a certain time?]

As far as i'm concerned, if you are *optionally* running their plugin, -- even if you absolutely require advertisements, there are other services do note -- the ones really paying are the clients that are being forced to watch them. and you are (or where the profits end up) just reaping the rewards.

that is technically what is going on when you run advertisements like this.

If the answer to my first question is No, you're not set up in an exclusive business agreement or anything even remotely down the line, you're not being paid -- you're being offered an incentive to do something, that is all.

If it is Yes, then I have certainly misunderstood something here.
You can argue semantics all day, the point is the changes are not ideal for server owners and their customers. If the customer doesn't want to view the ad, the server owner loses players, gets less money, etc. It doesn't help that a lot of people have switched to mvm.

People have every right to complain about the changes, especially if the back-end isn't performing as expected.

It's not "free money."

Last edited by PBSGTS; 02-01-2013 at 07:46.
1nsane
SourceMod Donor
Old 02-01-2013 , 11:13   Re: So, who will be dropping Pinion?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sreaper View Post
I don't use Gameservers as my provider, it was just an example. As 11530 said, an hours work can easily cover server costs.
There is no reason for people like you to be this upset at a free service because of a small technicality.
An hour of work can cover server costs? Not everyone makes $200 an hour. Some of us use dedicated servers to provide a much better experience than one possible on a shared host. Anything from instant automatic updates to scripts that monitor the server for freezes/performance and restarts them as necessary It also allows us to have full access to implement other tweaks and mods that would not be possible on a cheap GSP.
nightrider
SourceMod Donor
Old 02-01-2013 , 15:05   Re: So, who will be dropping Pinion?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1nsane View Post
An hour of work can cover server costs? Not everyone makes $200 an hour. Some of us use dedicated servers to provide a much better experience than one possible on a shared host. Anything from instant automatic updates to scripts that monitor the server for freezes/performance and restarts them as necessary It also allows us to have full access to implement other tweaks and mods that would not be possible on a cheap GSP.
1nsane I agree with your post.
Our community has a dedicated server and a VPS.
We run Sourcebans, HLStats, email, game server code like DayZ, CS:S, CS:GO, LFD2
These services are not free and do cost money.

We use Pinion, Google ads to offset some of the costs.

Last edited by nightrider; 02-01-2013 at 15:06.
nineteeneleven
Veteran Member
Old 02-02-2013 , 16:11   Re: Re: So, who will be dropping Pinion?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. McKay View Post
I've attached a simple plugin that will kick any client who hasn't sent the closed_htmlpage command to the server within 2 minutes of choosing a team (this should happen before they choose a team if they don't take steps to block it).

I'm not taking any stance on using this, I just made it because I figured it'd be requested eventually.
Umm does this cover immunity? What I mean is will player that have immunity get kicked because of this?
Old 02-02-2013 , 16:43   So, who will be dropping Pinion?

Quote:
Originally Posted by nineteeneleven View Post
Umm does this cover immunity? What I mean is will player that have immunity get kicked because of this?
Good point, I'll add that later. On mobile right now.
Old 02-03-2013 , 23:12   Re: So, who will be dropping Pinion?

Quote:
I just gotta say..

Apparently google gets all its money for free. Obviously you have no idea how advertising works. It is a business contract. If you don't understand how capitalism works that is fine but stop lecturing the rest of us who do.
Closed Thread