Raised This Month: $51 Target: $400
 12% 

We may have a problem...

Post New Thread Reply   

404UserNotFound
BANNED
Old 01-01-2014 , 12:24   We may have a problem...
Reply With Quote #1

I'm sure people remember the Equipment Manager plugin and the resulting fucking-up Valve did of serverside player attachments.

Well, we may have another problem on our hands.

Someone is trying to fix/has fixed that plugin.

Right now it seems they're testing it on their own server, which is fine. What I'm worried about is that the plugin will get out into the public where people will abuse the hell out of it to make fake unusuals on their servers and such, causing Valve to break more stuff.

I mean, with the TF2Items Manager plugin, I discovered I was able to use the tf2items.weapons.txt file to change the quality of a hat I owned and give it a particle effect as well and other players could see the hat as Unusual and such.

Apparently other servers know this as well and apparently use it (which is why I submitted this thread to see if hat/misc item ID blocking in the TF2Items extension is possible).

But yeah, with that fellow fixing up Equipment Manager, I'm worried that 2014 could end up being "The year that Valve killed TF2Items completely".
lahorazzy
BANNED
Old 01-01-2014 , 12:35   Re: We may have a problem...
Reply With Quote #2

geez what an idiot... many ppl know that double attaching works again for quite a while now but they have respect for tf2 not to abuse it...
MasterOfTheXP
Veteran Member
Old 01-01-2014 , 12:40   Re: We may have a problem...
Reply With Quote #3

He's already posted this before, briefly. Not sure if he's using a different method now, but it's likely that as soon as it gets passed around a little too much, Valve will find out how it's happening and fix it.

Last edited by MasterOfTheXP; 01-01-2014 at 12:41.
404UserNotFound
BANNED
Old 01-01-2014 , 12:56   Re: We may have a problem...
Reply With Quote #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterOfTheXP View Post
He's already posted this before, briefly. Not sure if he's using a different method now, but it's likely that as soon as it gets passed around a little too much, Valve will find out how it's happening and fix it.
Hopefully they fix it, and not break TF2Items completely. Didn't know he "released" it before though, that's a shocker.

I mean, part of me wants to see his plugin publicly released, but only so that players can use things like those MvM "light" helmets, or the Romevision robot armor.

But then we'd have to worry about people doling out fake unusual hats via the plugin again.

Last edited by 404UserNotFound; 01-01-2014 at 12:58.
friagram
Veteran Member
Old 01-01-2014 , 13:15   Re: We may have a problem...
Reply With Quote #5

Don't worry about it. Doesn't work in first person, cloak, etc (model always shows)
Also won't work for weapons (they'll be visible when swapped).
You could program around these limitations with much effort, or just use sm to patch the valve attachments restriction to always allow attachments.
MasterXykon
BANNED
Old 01-01-2014 , 18:30   Re: We may have a problem...
Reply With Quote #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by friagram View Post
Don't worry about it. Doesn't work in first person, cloak, etc (model always shows)
You could program around these limitations with much effort, or just use sm to patch the valve attachments restriction to always allow attachments.
Actually, the first person issue was fixed in this new method, and weapon switch has been fine for a while.

If you're worried about me sharing it a ton, I didn't even want to post anything, my brother wanted me to, and somehow I listened after a while.
404UserNotFound
BANNED
Old 01-01-2014 , 18:56   Re: We may have a problem...
Reply With Quote #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterXykon View Post
If you're worried about me sharing it a ton, I didn't even want to post anything, my brother wanted me to, and somehow I listened after a while.
I wouldn't even use it, to be quite honest. I mean, it's really up to you whether or not you use it because you have it. But just for the sake of keeping Valve happy, I'd delete it completely.

I'd hate to see TF2Items get killed off by Valve because some server owners decided they wanted to do fake unusual hats.

Then of course, we do have some people who wonder why Valve cares about people using plugin-created fake unusual hats (and I see where these people are coming from, we can't trade the hats, so we aren't making money) and would love to see this re-released.

But you then have to deal with people charging money (i.e. donations) to get access to fake unusual hats (i.e. a horrible donator benefit). So there's a plus and a minus to everything.
MasterXykon
BANNED
Old 01-01-2014 , 19:23   Re: We may have a problem...
Reply With Quote #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by abrandnewday View Post
But just for the sake of keeping Valve happy, I'd delete it completely.
Well, this is why I began sourcemod (I was mainly a modeler), so I'm not gonna delete it, but I will keep it on my server, or (Maybe) select few servers that I can trust not to share or abuse.

Maybe there's a way to make a trust system, where I can disable the specific extension (I'd need to make extension, so no decompile). The extension would have different IDs for each I would give out, and connect to a private database for the extension to know if it has access to work. If a server abuses or gives to another server that abuses, I can ban that extension with that ID from working.

It'd be like what Valve had in mind at one point (If I remember right).
Sreaper
髪を用心
Old 01-01-2014 , 19:42   Re: We may have a problem...
Reply With Quote #9

https://wiki.alliedmods.net/Finding_...inding_Offsets

It's easy to get information from binaries, that is, compiled extensions, there's even a tutorial on the alliedmodders wiki. Just making an extension out of it isn't enough. You have to be really, really good at hiding things. And even then isn't enough, because people are going to be after what you wrote fairly quickly. I'd say about three days after you choose to give out any compiled code, it will be figured out and all over the place.

Edit 1: This user is asking $150 for it but I don't believe it is worth that much. He is going to sell it to everyone he asks, he already sold it to someone else and promised not to sell it, but he is still trying to sell it to others. Don't buy it, eventually the code will be free, with how many people hes trying to give it to

Edit 2: MasterXykon released it! http://facepunch.com/showthread.php?t=1341335 Say farewell to SetParent everyone!

Last edited by Sreaper; 01-02-2014 at 03:15.
Oshizu
Veteran Member
Old 01-02-2014 , 17:26   Re: We may have a problem...
Reply With Quote #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by friagram View Post
You mean that function that checks player's items by:
- player's steamid (If he actually owns it)
- loadout slot / class in player's backpack (If it is equiped on correct class)
- etc

Am i going the right way?

Last edited by Oshizu; 01-02-2014 at 17:34.