Raised This Month: $51 Target: $400
 12% 

Licensing?

Post New Thread Reply   

Hawk552
AMX Mod X Moderator
Old 01-18-2007 , 23:04   Licensing?
Reply With Quote #1

If someone paid me $25 with no agreements on anything other than that I would make a plugin for them, can I legally be held responsible for releaseing it here under copyright infringement or bootlegging?

I already know I can't, but this guy is making up some crap about talking to his lawyer (which is probably just him reading stuff and making up random things that are totally wrong).

What do you guys think?
BANNED
Old 01-18-2007 , 23:09   Re: Licensing?
Reply With Quote #2

The person pays for your time, not your plugin.
Send a message via AIM to SweatyBanana Send a message via Yahoo to SweatyBanana
vvg125
AMX Mod X Beta Tester
Old 01-18-2007 , 23:18   Re: Licensing?
Reply With Quote #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawk552 View Post
If someone paid me $25 with no agreements on anything other than that I would make a plugin for them, can I legally be held responsible for releaseing it here under copyright infringement or bootlegging?

He can't do anything if you didn't sign or agree to anything. And in no way is he paying you for posession of copyright, he is paying you for the plugin itself.

Just sounds like a dumbass of a kid who thinks he knows everything cause he read a bit of legal terminology.

Last edited by vvg125; 01-18-2007 at 23:21.
Send a message via AIM to vvg125 Send a message via MSN to vvg125 Send a message via Yahoo to vvg125
sawce
The null pointer exception error and virtual machine bug
Old 01-18-2007 , 23:26   Re: Licensing?
Reply With Quote #4

You're in Canada. They don't have any laws in Canada.
Never Fall Asleep
Old 01-18-2007 , 23:49   Re: Licensing?
Reply With Quote #5

You can release the plugin with no problems. You had no contract. Without the contract you have no obligations to anything he says. As long as you FOLLOW AMXX GPL rules, you will be alright.

So go ahead and release his plugin to all forums possible to piss him off :] Trust me. First thing that will come out of his lawyers mouth is "let me see the paperwork/agreement". And then he will feel dumb.

Brad
AMX Mod X Team Member
Old 01-19-2007 , 00:01   Re: Licensing?
Reply With Quote #6

While it's not illegal, there are certain ethics involved. If you told him or it was understood that you wouldn't release it and then do so... That's ethically wrong.
Old 01-19-2007 , 00:10   Re: Licensing?
Reply With Quote #7

I don't know how it works in Canada, but in the USA, if someone makes a "work for hire", the employer legally owns it, not the employee (creator). This means that the Microsoft Corporation owns the OS source code, even though it's actually created by a team of programmers. So, that would mean that he holds the copyright, and you can't publish it without his permission.

Well, it sounds good for him if you stop there. But, unless the creator is actually an employee at the employer's company, then it isn't legally considered a "work for hire" unless you two signed a contract stating that it is, in fact, a "work fire hire."

So, if this was strictly using US laws, you'd still hold the copyright, as you don't legally work under him, and you didn't make a contract specifically stating it as a "work for hire."

Quotation marks!

Last edited by XxAvalanchexX; 01-19-2007 at 00:13.
vvg125
AMX Mod X Beta Tester
Old 01-19-2007 , 00:14   Re: Licensing?
Reply With Quote #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by XxAvalanchexX View Post
I don't know how it works in Canada, but in the USA, if someone makes a "work for hire", the employer legally owns it, not the employee (creator). This means that the Microsoft Corporation owns the OS source code, even though it's actually created by a team of programmers. So, that would mean that he holds the copyright, and you can't publish it without his permission.
This is true, however, a contract is required to be drawn up by either side, and be signed by both. If the legal agreement doesn't exist, no one is bound to follow any rules. As Freecode said, the first thing the lawyer will ask for is the contract, which in this case does not exist.
Old 01-19-2007 , 00:18   Re: Licensing?
Reply With Quote #9

Release it.

Last edited by bonafide; 01-19-2007 at 00:20. Reason: spelled release wrong:D
Send a message via ICQ to bonafide Send a message via AIM to bonafide Send a message via MSN to bonafide Send a message via Skype™ to bonafide
vvg125
AMX Mod X Beta Tester
Old 01-19-2007 , 00:23   Re: Licensing?
Reply With Quote #10

Just outta curiousity, what's the plugin do? Your plugins have been awesome so far...