Raised This Month: $51 Target: $400
 12% 

Need help reading .smx files

Post New Thread Reply   

fishboy777
Old 07-27-2013 , 06:58   Need help reading .smx files
Reply With Quote #1

Hello, I'm not sure if im posting in the right thread and if i'm not i am sorry..

I am trying to open .smx files so I can edit them and from what I am reading I need spcomp.exe and I found it but when I download it, it reads it as just a regular file. Not an EXE or anything.

Any help will be much appreciated..
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Untitled.jpg
Views:	1354
Size:	98.5 KB
ID:	123248  
Veteran Member
Old 07-27-2013 , 07:08   Re: Need help reading .smx files
Reply With Quote #2

You won't be able to properly edit an .smx file directly. You will either need the source code (.sp file), edit that then recompile a new .smx file or you can decompile the .smx into a somewhat readable format, though you'd need to re-write most of the plugin to make it readable again.

Sometimes though, editing the plugin is not necessary. What is the main goal you are trying to achieve? And which plugin? Is it private or public?

Last edited by 11530; 07-27-2013 at 07:09.
fishboy777
Old 07-27-2013 , 08:44   Re: Need help reading .smx files
Reply With Quote #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by 11530 View Post
You won't be able to properly edit an .smx file directly. You will either need the source code (.sp file), edit that then recompile a new .smx file or you can decompile the .smx into a somewhat readable format, though you'd need to re-write most of the plugin to make it readable again.

Sometimes though, editing the plugin is not necessary. What is the main goal you are trying to achieve? And which plugin? Is it private or public?
I am trying to edit a plugin to make it where quake sounds can be heard from everyone and edit another plugin where damage doesn't show when someone gets hurt. I am using SourceMod from Gameservers for Public.. I know how to install plugins and add maps but i never had a problem like this before and when i asked gameservers for help.. All they did was kick me to the side of the road and said "This is not something we can offer any assistance with. We only install plugins, we cannot offer any assistance editing the actual files with third party tools."
Dr. Greg House
Professional Troll,
Part-Time Asshole
Old 07-27-2013 , 13:15   Re: Need help reading .smx files
Reply With Quote #4

If this is a plugin that has been made public, sourcecode MUST have been made available to the community as well according to the sourcemod license. In that case search for the plugin on the forums and get the sourcecode directly.
If this is a private plugin you have two choices:
-Ask the author directly for the sourcecode
-Use Lysis http://forums.alliedmods.net/showthread.php?t=170898 However, Lysis does not completely decompile the plugin, so you won't be able to recompile it. Lysis' purpose is more of a "can do" and to see how certain plugins work when there's no sourcecode available and to check plugins for backdoors.

In either case you must be familiar with the sourcemod plugin development or ask someone in the requests section to do it for you (keep in mind (pretty much) nobody works for free/without any kind of profit for themselves).
http://wiki.alliedmods.net/Main_Page
http://wiki.alliedmods.net/Category:SourceMod_Scripting

Last edited by Dr. Greg House; 07-27-2013 at 13:18.
fishboy777
Old 07-27-2013 , 13:54   Re: Need help reading .smx files
Reply With Quote #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Greg House View Post
If this is a plugin that has been made public, sourcecode MUST have been made available to the community as well according to the sourcemod license. In that case search for the plugin on the forums and get the sourcecode directly.
If this is a private plugin you have two choices:
-Ask the author directly for the sourcecode
-Use Lysis http://forums.alliedmods.net/showthread.php?t=170898 However, Lysis does not completely decompile the plugin, so you won't be able to recompile it. Lysis' purpose is more of a "can do" and to see how certain plugins work when there's no sourcecode available and to check plugins for backdoors.

In either case you must be familiar with the sourcemod plugin development or ask someone in the requests section to do it for you (keep in mind (pretty much) nobody works for free/without any kind of profit for themselves).
http://wiki.alliedmods.net/Main_Page
http://wiki.alliedmods.net/Category:SourceMod_Scripting
so pretty much CS:S is fucked since CS:GO came out and pretty much most of every author stopped working on CS:S stuff and switched for CS:GO. So buying a server for CS:S is pretty much useless. Great!
Rytis
Veteran Member
Old 07-27-2013 , 13:57   Re: Need help reading .smx files
Reply With Quote #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishboy777 View Post
so pretty much CS:S is fucked since CS:GO came out and pretty much most of every author stopped working on CS:S stuff and switched for CS:GO. So buying a server for CS:S is pretty much useless. Great!
Uhm, nope?
thetwistedpanda
Good Little Panda
Old 07-27-2013 , 13:58   Re: Need help reading .smx files
Reply With Quote #7

CS:S actually usually to maintains a higher population than CS:GO, but since it's release, CS:S has continued to lose players. (http://steamgraph.com). Doing CS:S + CS:GO support for plugins is usually quite simple, it's just a matter of reading the protobuf page on the wiki. What plugin are you trying to fiddle with?

Last edited by thetwistedpanda; 07-27-2013 at 13:58.
fishboy777
Old 07-27-2013 , 14:08   Re: Need help reading .smx files
Reply With Quote #8

I'm just not able to read any .smx files when i open with Wordpad or Notepad, Its all scrambles.. Never had a problem opening a .smx file to edit the plugin to change stuff before.. I am trying to change "Quake Sounds" so everyone could hear the sounds when someone gets a headshot or on a kill streak.. Also I got "Super Admin Plugin" and wanted to turn off the damage show since it tells you when you do damage to someone and gives away your spot.. Other than that I got everything fine and the server works fine but i'm not paying people to do simple stuff.. "Dr. Greg House" is crazy!
Powerlord
AlliedModders Donor
Old 07-27-2013 , 14:18   Re: Need help reading .smx files
Reply With Quote #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishboy777 View Post
I am trying to edit a plugin to make it where quake sounds can be heard from everyone and edit another plugin where damage doesn't show when someone gets hurt. I am using SourceMod from Gameservers for Public.. I know how to install plugins and add maps but i never had a problem like this before and when i asked gameservers for help.. All they did was kick me to the side of the road and said "This is not something we can offer any assistance with. We only install plugins, we cannot offer any assistance editing the actual files with third party tools."
You could search for the Quake Sounds plugin (which has one result) and download its source code, which are one of the 5 .sp files attached to that post based on which game you need it for... which from a prior post would be the CS:S version.

Last edited by Powerlord; 07-27-2013 at 14:21.
Dr. McKay
Sir Dr. SourceMod Plugin Approver Esq. Ltd. M.D. PhD
Old 07-27-2013 , 14:44   Re: Need help reading .smx files
Reply With Quote #10

SMX files are binary. You can't edit them.

You must edit a SP file and then compile it.