Raised This Month: $51 Target: $400
 12% 

Good WebHost on West Coast?

Post New Thread Reply   

CrimsonGT
Veteran Member
Old 03-02-2009 , 04:08   Re: Good WebHost on West Coast?
Reply With Quote #21

That would work fine, and you can always setup a IP redirect with one of those free sites. So that something like thisip.righthere.com points to your IP address no matter if it changes, then just point the domain to the redirect.

And to hell with linux, you could run it fine with windows. Just make sure to read up on the security and what not. Its pretty easy to setup Apache/MySQL/Php, theres even a package but I cant remember the name, but it installs them all for you. I set it up when I rented a quad core windows box.
Old 03-02-2009 , 04:42   Re: Good WebHost on West Coast?
Reply With Quote #22

I bet fast download wouldnt be so fast though Plus I know nothing about any of those, if cpanel was free it would help haha.

curlefry
Old 03-02-2009 , 06:24   Re: Good WebHost on West Coast?
Reply With Quote #23

HostGator? I've used them for a good while. Their download speeds were good to my server for the short time I used it, the remote SQL connections were...TOO fast, never had a problem with that. I never used Sourcebans though, sorry. I used the TF2 stats plugin with the web interface.
Veteran Member
Old 03-02-2009 , 15:45   Re: Good WebHost on West Coast?
Reply With Quote #24

Thats because host gator is located on the east coast close to you. I need west coast.

skinnie
Old 03-02-2009 , 16:41   Re: Good WebHost on West Coast?
Reply With Quote #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by DontWannaName View Post
Bluehost is the same thing as hostmonster. They both use cogent and are in LA. They cap bandwidth to 1.5mbps burstable and have no where to test the speed.
Your statement is partially incorrect. They have data farms in WA/UT and are not capped depending on your account. Request a different server location and purchase a ded ip. Been using them for years and haven't looked for anybody else. Their customer service is un-rivaled.
Old 03-02-2009 , 16:59   Re: Good WebHost on West Coast?
Reply With Quote #26

They have no where to test my download speed and it doesnt look very promising since they are using cogent.

CrimsonGT
Veteran Member
Old 03-03-2009 , 02:15   Re: Good WebHost on West Coast?
Reply With Quote #27

Well surprisingly after reading this thread, I started thinking and decided to change my webhost. I have been looking at options all night, because the host I have been with since 2004 gives me 20GB of bandwidth a month and 600mb of space for 7.95$

After hours of searching, I finally stumbled back across HostGator which I have heard from numerous people is excellent. I went ahead and ordered my new service tonight, and I cannot wait. Its a big freaking jump going from 20gb BW to Unlimited, and 600mb of space to Unlimited, and 5 mysql databases to Unlimited, and so on lol.

I was gonna go with the business package for 12.99$ a month, but I realized all I would really be getting is the free 1-800 number and more domains. So I went with the baby gator package for like 4$ because it has everything I need unlimited The part I was dreading was moving all my files and stuff over from my current host to hostgator. If you fill out a form they do it all for you, so im pretty much in love now.

Anyways, I signed up for the referral program after I ordered hosting from them tonight, so if your interested in them feel free to use my link!
http://secure.hostgator.com/cgi-bin/...i?id=crimsongt

*Edit*

Oh yeah, until April the promocode "lucky" gives you 20% off, so I paid 67$ for a year lol. Cant freaking beat that.
Old 03-03-2009 , 02:43   Re: Good WebHost on West Coast?
Reply With Quote #28

Yes but their servers are with the Planet which are based in Dallas, good for Florida, bad for west coast. Media Temple has a package for 16 bucks, they host all the fortune 500 websites like ABC and stuff. I think they can guarantee good speed. It seems like all the premium bandwidth is from the people that seem really expensive like 20mb of space and 20 gigs of bandwidth. My new host is nice, I get 600 kb/s but I crave more for my 30mb DL line plus for all the people that need to download maps super fast.

Jheshka
Old 03-03-2009 , 11:02   Re: Good WebHost on West Coast?
Reply With Quote #29

Why not go with something in central north america so you don't limit your player base?

If it's central, east players can go, west players can go, and so can central.

Besides if this is just for a fast dl server it's not really going to make any impact if it's a few hundred miles difference.
Are those 15ms differences going to make your download go that much slower? Probably not

Last edited by Jheshka; 03-03-2009 at 11:04.
SilentJudge
Old 03-03-2009 , 13:48   Re: Good WebHost on West Coast?
Reply With Quote #30

Media Temple has had issues too, theres some negative reviews on WHT.
http://www.webhostingtalk.com/showth...atemple+review
They've historically had issues with their GRID stuff. The high profile sites hosted by them are not on their GRID service, they are on dedicated servers (which they offer, see Nitro).