Raised This Month: $51 Target: $400
 12% 

Pinion Discussion Thread

Post New Thread Closed Thread   

Daniel.PinionGG
Old 04-24-2013 , 13:35   Re: So, who will be dropping Pinion?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Horsedick View Post
I read it but not sure I either like it or understand it...I have it set to 15 seconds, IMO 15 seconds is way long enough to force on players PERIOD.

Now if I understand this for those that don't like 30 seconds you want to set up an alternative that would use a rev share model or basically only pay me for impressions that are sold which are likely less than 5% LOL I mean dude these are kids playing GAMES not buying products right then and there or will click out of game to go buy something. I'm happy with 15 seconds and getting paid based on my 70% completion percentage as it is but I'd love to see the forced times just go away period cause it does make players leave and not come back.
That's correct, having a user watch half an ad isn't getting us anywhere. The thing you need to understand about Video ads is that if a user doesn't watch the whole ad, no one is paid. So the only solution we have right now is for the user to be forced to watch the ad. A 70% completion as we're currently defining it means a user watches an average of 70% of a video, what advertisers want to see that 70% of people watch the entire ad.

Going forward, if you force a user to watch half a 30 second ad that doesn't help. If you only want to force 15 seconds that's fine, but we can't guarantee all your impressions, only the ones that have ad sales. That's where we would look to bring in rev share. When we say rev share, it's nothing to do with people buying products. It's revenue share on what we get paid for the ads.

Quote:
Originally Posted by serpentine View Post
The ad during map load idea is interesting. Wonder how it will be done.
We'll look to elaborate on this more soon, but it would involve a 3rd party client.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fearts View Post
@Daniel.PinionGG

Have you found a solution for video buffer times? This is going to be key if you expect us to force people to watch the entire ad. Without some way to buffer a video before it's shown we will lose a % of our impressions and it will force us to increase watch times to compensate. This lose of impressions and forced increase of ad time does not make this very attractive.
The new plugin will take buffer times into account, so it will know how long was spent buffering and take that into account for how long to force the MOTD.

The key challenge we all face right now is how to monetise the users loading in through quickplay without the ability to force the video. What are everyone's feelings on what percentage of their users join through QP?
nineteeneleven
Veteran Member
Old 04-24-2013 , 14:24   Re: So, who will be dropping Pinion?

Non-quick play traffic doesn't effect me since I have no quick play traffic. I have actually seen impressions rise substantially the last 2 months
Old 04-24-2013 , 14:38   Re: So, who will be dropping Pinion?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel.PinionGG View Post
We'll look to elaborate on this more soon, but it would involve a 3rd party client.
Like players would willingly download a third party client so they can watch ads while they are playing...
Sir Dr. SourceMod Plugin Approver Esq. Ltd. M.D. PhD
Old 04-24-2013 , 14:49   Re: So, who will be dropping Pinion?

Quote:
Originally Posted by nineteeneleven View Post
Non-quick play traffic doesn't effect me since I have no quick play traffic. I have actually seen impressions rise substantially the last 2 months
Some players have started to (ab)use the "connect <ip> matchmaking" command, which acts as if they joined via Quickplay, even if the server isn't actually in Quickplay.
Old 04-24-2013 , 15:21   Re: So, who will be dropping Pinion?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. McKay View Post
Some players have started to (ab)use the "connect <ip> matchmaking" command, which acts as if they joined via Quickplay, even if the server isn't actually in Quickplay.
Yea, i saw your post on that... that, can be a problem.

I dont show mid-round ads either, but does that enable them to close the MOTD before the timer runs out on the connect ad?
Old 04-24-2013 , 15:29   Re: So, who will be dropping Pinion?

Quote:
Originally Posted by nineteeneleven View Post
I dont show mid-round ads either, but does that enable them to close the MOTD before the timer runs out on the connect ad?
Yup.

Last edited by Dr. McKay; 04-24-2013 at 15:30.
1nsane
SourceMod Donor
Old 04-24-2013 , 15:39   Re: So, who will be dropping Pinion?

Quote:
This could actually be a problem, unlike the previous work around methods. Which required either editing the hosts file or downloading and installing a script to block it. Which obviously takes more times and needs a person to be more computer literate.

This time however, it's built into the game and if you are already capable of using the server browser you should be capable enough to copy the server ip and use it with this command. It's just 2 extra click before joining a server.

Last edited by 1nsane; 04-24-2013 at 15:39.
nomy
Old 04-24-2013 , 18:42   Re: So, who will be dropping Pinion?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zephyrus View Post
Like players would willingly download a third party client so they can watch ads while they are playing...
Yea, I doubt this will work.

Last edited by nomy; 04-24-2013 at 18:42.
Fearts
ferts of daeth
Old 04-24-2013 , 18:46   Re: So, who will be dropping Pinion?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zephyrus View Post
The only way I see this even remotely plausible is if Pinion paid the players to do so.
Old 04-24-2013 , 19:05   Re: So, who will be dropping Pinion?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel.PinionGG View Post
Yeah, no thanks. I'd rather sit through ads on a server-side modification rather than have to download a piece of shitware that's only reason to be on my computer is to waste my time.

Quote:
Me? All day, everyday.

Last edited by Huntereb; 04-24-2013 at 19:06.
Closed Thread