Raised This Month: $51 Target: $400
 12% 

Pinion Discussion Thread

Post New Thread Closed Thread   

Ixel
Old 04-03-2013 , 20:42   Re: So, who will be dropping Pinion?

What everyone has said since has made perfect sense. So Valve didn't do this for Pinion, they did it for the players who complained about forced waiting times and some servers that show Pinion mid-game again.
Horsedick
AlliedModders Donor
Old 04-03-2013 , 20:42   Re: So, who will be dropping Pinion?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1nsane View Post
You can't force 15 seconds anymore. Because it would open many many MOTD windows afterwards if a person closed the previous. And it would repeat that until the timer ran out. Well now people who connect through matchmaking can't be forced to watch an ad any longer than they want to. Thus your completions will go down if you have matchmaking or mvm servers.
I see what you are saying, but that is only if people are clicking continue before the timer is up at which they will still have to wait the timer out no matter what. But yeah I have most of my traffic on pinion thru MvM servers since they stay full 24/7 so depending on what Pinion does this could really effect the bottom line.
Arthur.PinionGG
Old 04-03-2013 , 20:44   Re: So, who will be dropping Pinion?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 11530 View Post
It's a valid point. Technically, when the MOTD is being blocked from being closed, it's just detecting the 'Close' button being pressed and re-opening it again. That would count as multiple MOTD views and would therefore now be blocked by Valve. Can anyone with the plugin confirm this?
Correct this is what is occurring, basically min duration can no longer be enforced for anyone connecting via Quickplay.

Stay tuned, we will update everyone when we have more information

Last edited by Arthur.PinionGG; 04-03-2013 at 20:45.
Smarmy
Old 04-03-2013 , 20:46   Re: So, who will be dropping Pinion?

You just knew it would come to an end eventually.
Horsedick
AlliedModders Donor
Old 04-03-2013 , 20:49   Re: So, who will be dropping Pinion?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arthur.PinionGG View Post
Correct this is what is occurring, basically min duration can no longer be enforced for anyone connecting via Quickplay OR MATCHMAKING.

Stay tuned, we will update everyone when we have more information

corrected

Last edited by Horsedick; 04-03-2013 at 20:49.
1nsane
SourceMod Donor
Old 04-03-2013 , 21:30   Re: So, who will be dropping Pinion?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Horsedick View Post
...before the timer is up at which they will still have to wait the timer out no matter what.
You don't have to wait out the timer at all. Click continue and play, the ad will end immediately and you just see the "you may continue in XX seconds" in the middle of your screen while actually playing.

Psychonic posted this recently so now it's possible to test this change without needing to get into your server through matchmaking:
Quote:
You can simulate it by connecting with the console connect command with a parameter of "matchmaking" after the address.

Ex.
connect X.X.X.X matchmaking
Horsedick
AlliedModders Donor
Old 04-03-2013 , 21:41   Re: So, who will be dropping Pinion?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1nsane View Post
You don't have to wait out the timer at all. Click continue and play, the ad will end immediately and you just see the "you may continue in XX seconds" in the middle of your screen while actually playing.

Psychonic posted this recently so now it's possible to test this change without needing to get into your server through matchmaking:
yeah I wasn't aware it did that on clicking continue so yeah lame - lets see what Pinion wishes to do about it since now the count down is out of our hands and pointless.
nineteeneleven
Veteran Member
Old 04-04-2013 , 07:17   Re: So, who will be dropping Pinion?

I dont have any quickplay server or MvM matchmaking server, so it doesnt effect me.

What I dont like about the whole situation is that valve/pinion had kept their mouth shut, when they damn well knew we had some legitimate questions/concerns, until AFTER they pushed out the update.

I feel like we got dicked, and its kinda scary.

Last edited by nineteeneleven; 04-04-2013 at 07:18.
Happy DODs player
AlliedModders Donor
Old 04-04-2013 , 07:41   Re: So, who will be dropping Pinion?

Running a achievement server for Tf2. It is not on Quickplay ofcourse. But still i cant look at the motd longer then 2 seconds.

Thought that it would work normaly if there was no Quickplay active on a custom map and such.

Further : You don't have to wait out the timer at all. Click continue and play, the ad will end immediately and you just see the "you may continue in XX seconds" in the middle of your screen while actually playing.

Hope they will fix that i a update soon then.

Last edited by Happy DODs player; 04-04-2013 at 07:43.
prom3th3an
SourceMod Donor
Old 04-04-2013 , 07:48   Re: So, who will be dropping Pinion?

I'm not usually one to say "I told you so"....but, I warned Daniel months ago about the possibility of this scenario happening and was met (in essence) with the response of "Our relationship with Valve is very good, so nothing will happen", seems you were wrong Daniel. Valve is nobody's lap dog.

But of course, it's not only Pinion that will suffer through lower completion rates, but also innocent modders who use the MOTD for legitimate purposes. Attachments all over again, when will people learn their lesson?
In any case, I support the good intentions behind the change that Valve have made.

Last edited by prom3th3an; 04-04-2013 at 07:58.
Closed Thread