Raised This Month: $51 Target: $400
 12% 

Get Map Plane (Surface) Direction

Post New Thread Reply   

Phant
Veteran Member
Old 01-15-2024 , 18:11   Get Map Plane (Surface) Direction
Reply With Quote #1

I have Float coordinates (XYZ) on a map, lying on some physical plane of the map. How can I obtain the direction (vector?) of the plane on which this point is located? For example, if it's a regular flat floor, the direction is strictly vertical (90° upward). Thank you.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	example.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	86.0 KB
ID:	202858  

Last edited by Phant; 01-15-2024 at 18:14.
Send a message via ICQ to Phant
DJEarthQuake
Veteran Member
Old 01-15-2024 , 21:33   Re: Get Map Plane (Surface) Direction
Reply With Quote #2

Always null {0,0,0} since it is not moving.
Old 01-16-2024 , 00:24   Re: Get Map Plane (Surface) Direction
Reply With Quote #3

You need to execute a traceline from a point in/to a wall/floor/ceiling/surface and then collect the required data from the tracehandler according to what you need which is TR_vecPlaneNormal
@VIP System 100% done !

Last edited by Natsheh; 01-16-2024 at 00:25.
Send a message via MSN to Natsheh Send a message via Skype™ to Natsheh
fysiks
Veteran Member
Old 01-16-2024 , 02:44   Re: Get Map Plane (Surface) Direction
Reply With Quote #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJEarthQuake View Post
Always null {0,0,0} since it is not moving.
The question isn't related to velocity.
Old 01-18-2024 , 20:51   Re: Get Map Plane (Surface) Direction
Reply With Quote #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natsheh View Post
You need to execute a traceline from a point in/to a wall/floor/ceiling/surface and then collect the required data from the tracehandler according to what you need which is TR_vecPlaneNormal
Thanks for your reply.
I work with cannons (func_tankmortar) on the crossfire map (Half-Life). Specifically, I intercept env_explosion:

At the moment of its call, I can determine that it was produced from the cannon (func_tankmortar), the coordinates, and angles of the cannon (if I'm doing everything correctly). Therefore, having the final coordinates of env_explosion, I can call EngFunc_TraceLine (with subsequent TR_vecPlaneNormal), but this code doesn't work.
Code:
    new szClassname[32]     pev(inflictor, pev_classname, szClassname, 31)     client_print(0, print_chat, "CLASSNAME: %s", szClassname)     new Float:originet[3]     pev(inflictor, pev_origin, originet)     client_print(0, print_chat, "ORIGIN OF CANNON: %f %f %f", originet[0], originet[1], originet[2])     new Float:angles[3]     pev(inflictor, pev_angles, angles)     client_print(0, print_chat, "ANGLES OF CANNON: %f %f %f", angles[0], angles[1], angles[2])         new Float:NormalVector[3]     new trace = create_tr2()     engfunc(EngFunc_TraceLine, originet, angles, IGNORE_MONSTERS, 0, trace)     get_tr2(trace, TR_vecPlaneNormal, NormalVector)     free_tr2(trace)     client_print(0, print_chat, "NORMAL_VEC: %f %f %f", NormalVector[0], NormalVector[1], NormalVector[2])
I must be doing something wrong. There are plenty of examples on the forum, but most of them are related to the player's point of view.
Natsheh
Veteran Member
Old 01-18-2024 , 21:14   Re: Get Map Plane (Surface) Direction
Reply With Quote #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phant View Post
Thanks for your reply.
I work with cannons (func_tankmortar) on the crossfire map (Half-Life). Specifically, I intercept env_explosion:

At the moment of its call, I can determine that it was produced from the cannon (func_tankmortar), the coordinates, and angles of the cannon (if I'm doing everything correctly). Therefore, having the final coordinates of env_explosion, I can call EngFunc_TraceLine (with subsequent TR_vecPlaneNormal), but this code doesn't work.
Code:
    new szClassname[32]     pev(inflictor, pev_classname, szClassname, 31)     client_print(0, print_chat, "CLASSNAME: %s", szClassname)     new Float:originet[3]     pev(inflictor, pev_origin, originet)     client_print(0, print_chat, "ORIGIN OF CANNON: %f %f %f", originet[0], originet[1], originet[2])     new Float:angles[3]     pev(inflictor, pev_angles, angles)     client_print(0, print_chat, "ANGLES OF CANNON: %f %f %f", angles[0], angles[1], angles[2])         new Float:NormalVector[3]     new trace = create_tr2()     engfunc(EngFunc_TraceLine, originet, angles, IGNORE_MONSTERS, 0, trace)     get_tr2(trace, TR_vecPlaneNormal, NormalVector)     free_tr2(trace)     client_print(0, print_chat, "NORMAL_VEC: %f %f %f", NormalVector[0], NormalVector[1], NormalVector[2])
I must be doing something wrong. There are plenty of examples on the forum, but most of them are related to the player's point of view.
Indeed you are...

engfunc(EngFunc_TraceLine, originet, angles, IGNORE_MONSTERS, 0, trace)

The 2nd parameter here (angles) should be replaced with the end coords of where the Traceline should go AKA destination coordinates...

The 4th parameter here ( 0 ) should be replaced with the entity to ignore which in your case is inflictor since we don't need the traceline to stop at the begining...
@VIP System 100% done !

DJEarthQuake
Veteran Member
Old 01-19-2024 , 16:19   Re: Get Map Plane (Surface) Direction
Reply With Quote #7

Ok when I saw (vector?) that got me. TR_vecPlaneNormal... looks like I need to brush up on my calculus. Never have I seen a need for that. What are you trying to accomplish by intercepting env_explosion? There are plugins that can make one view the course with cords by attaching view all the way to blocking the boom by having the crowbar drawn already as the shell approaches.
Old 01-19-2024 , 18:23   Re: Get Map Plane (Surface) Direction
Reply With Quote #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natsheh View Post
Indeed you are...

engfunc(EngFunc_TraceLine, originet, angles, IGNORE_MONSTERS, 0, trace)

The 2nd parameter here (angles) should be replaced with the end coords of where the Traceline should go AKA destination coordinates...

The 4th parameter here ( 0 ) should be replaced with the entity to ignore which in your case is inflictor since we don't need the traceline to stop at the begining...
I made changes to the code, but NORMAL_VEC (NormalVector) are still equal to zero .
Code:
#include <amxmodx> #include <amxmisc> #include <fakemeta> #include <hamsandwich> #include <engine> #define PLUGIN "Crossfire Cannons" #define VERSION "1.0" #define AUTHOR "Phant" #define MODEL   "models/cindergibs.mdl" #define TE_BREAKMODEL   108 #define VELOCITY    75 #define VELOCITY_RANDOM 10 #define SIZE    10 #define LIFE    50 #define THROWING_POWER  200 new g_model public plugin_precache() {     g_model = precache_model(MODEL) } public plugin_init() {     register_plugin(PLUGIN, VERSION, AUTHOR)     RegisterHam(Ham_Spawn, "env_explosion", "explosion_spwn", 1) } public explosion_spwn(iEnt) {     new Float:origin[3]     pev(iEnt, pev_origin, origin)     new inflictor = pev(iEnt, pev_owner)     client_print(0, print_chat, "OWNER: %i", inflictor)     new szClassname[32]     pev(inflictor, pev_classname, szClassname, 31)     client_print(0, print_chat, "CLASSNAME: %s", szClassname)     new Float:originet[3]     pev(inflictor, pev_origin, originet)     client_print(0, print_chat, "ORIGIN OF CANNON: %f %f %f", originet[0], originet[1], originet[2])     new Float:angles[3]     pev(inflictor, pev_angles, angles)     client_print(0, print_chat, "ANGLES OF CANNON: %f %f %f", angles[0], angles[1], angles[2])         new Float:NormalVector[3]     new trace = create_tr2()     engfunc(EngFunc_TraceLine, originet, origin, IGNORE_MONSTERS, inflictor, trace)     get_tr2(trace, TR_vecPlaneNormal, NormalVector)     client_print(0, print_chat, "NORMAL_VEC: %f %f %f", NormalVector[0], NormalVector[1], NormalVector[2])     free_tr2(trace)         toss_gibs(origin) } public toss_gibs(Float:origin[3]) {     message_begin(MSG_BROADCAST, SVC_TEMPENTITY)     write_byte(TE_BREAKMODEL)     write_coord(floatround(origin[0]))     write_coord(floatround(origin[1]))     write_coord(floatround(origin[2]))     write_coord(SIZE)     write_coord(SIZE)     write_coord(SIZE)     write_coord(random_num(-VELOCITY, VELOCITY))     write_coord(random_num(-VELOCITY, VELOCITY))     write_coord(THROWING_POWER)     write_byte(VELOCITY_RANDOM)     write_short(g_model)     write_byte(random_num(8, 16))     write_byte(LIFE)     write_byte(0)     message_end() }
Code:
OWNER: 277
CLASSNAME: func_tankmortar
ORIGIN OF CANNON: -368.000000 -1520.000000 -1360.000000
ANGLES OF CANNON: 21.164882 84.911384 0.000000
NORMAL_VEC: 0.000000 0.000000 0.000000
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	crossfire0004.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	82.5 KB
ID:	202887  

Last edited by Phant; 01-19-2024 at 18:26.
DJEarthQuake
Veteran Member
Old 01-19-2024 , 19:09   Re: Get Map Plane (Surface) Direction
Reply With Quote #9

Good luck!

Last edited by DJEarthQuake; 01-23-2024 at 11:43.
Natsheh
Veteran Member
Old 01-20-2024 , 00:53   Re: Get Map Plane (Surface) Direction
Reply With Quote #10

There, this should give out the needed results...

Spoiler
@VIP System 100% done !

Last edited by Natsheh; 01-20-2024 at 00:54.