Raised This Month: $ Target: $400
 0% 

Looking for new server host.

Post New Thread Reply   

ocwoody
AlliedModders Donor
Old 12-31-2012 , 15:12   Re: Looking for new server host.
Reply With Quote #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by nineteeneleven View Post
+1 on nfo I have been using them for almost 2 years now. When you rent a server its yours, and u can change/add any files you want. Their support is also some of the best I've seen.
Would have to agree, I've been with them for over a year and they always resolve any issues I have quickly.
Arrow768
Veteran Member
Old 12-31-2012 , 20:22   Re: Looking for new server host.
Reply With Quote #12

I think nfo is too expensive. You should take a look at server4you.com, they offer equal hardware for a much lower price.
Old 12-31-2012 , 20:26   Re: Looking for new server host.
Reply With Quote #13

It's a minor issue, but I just found out that NFO doesn't always set the time zone on their servers and instead leaves them set to Pacific Time Zone, which makes SourceMod's GetTime return incorrect timestamps.

I found this out when RUGC_Midwest was returning that it's 3 hours until 6am UTC / midnight CST about 30 minutes ago. It should have been reporting 5 hours until that time.

Incidentally, if they had automatic time updates enabled, GetTime would work properly, but FormatTime would display the wrong time and time zone.

I'll be filing a bug after new years once I no longer need a hard-coded timestamp for something.

Last edited by Powerlord; 01-01-2013 at 12:55.
PresidentEvil
AlliedModders Donor
Old 12-31-2012 , 20:52   Re: Looking for new server host.
Reply With Quote #14

nfo
Old 01-01-2013 , 02:18   Re: Looking for new server host.
Reply With Quote #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arrow768 View Post
I think nfo is too expensive. You should take a look at server4you.com, they offer equal hardware for a much lower price.
Cheap and nasty. They don't list much about their network on their website but after a bit of snooping (http://bgp.he.net/AS30083 from IP 69.64.44.43 server4you.com) it seems they mostly only use Cogent transit.
Elephantom
Old 01-01-2013 , 05:59   Re: Looking for new server host.
Reply With Quote #16

Thanks guys, I really appreciate.

I'll check out NFO, and Gameservers. If there's anymore that I should probably check out, please let me know.

Also, I'm located in East Coast USA, and clanforge has a server running in Georgia for me.

Clanforge's TF2 set-up is very messy and annoying. Their support isn't very good either. Since they configure any mod to work with their servers, everything runs differently. Rendering some mods like Ultimate Map Chooser completely useless. Or even glitching out others, like TF2Items. I wouldn't recommend it to anyone whom wants to make a Multi-mod server. You also have to wait for approval of uploading maps to your server if they don't have it already. And supposedly, they have every single mod available downloaded onto their TF2 servers, and their selection just enables those specific mods. They also don't allow you to view every single file, nor move or create folders/file of your choosing. It's useful for a simple gameplay server, though, since they are insanely cheap in comparison to some other server providers that I've seen.

I'm not sure if this is allowed, but could we keep discussing the different providers? Someone whom may also share this problem could find this thread easier, and any moderator/admin could possibly direct them to this thread as well. Generally make this the primary "Server Provider" thread for anyone who may need the information.

Last edited by Elephantom; 01-01-2013 at 06:05.
GIANT_CRAB
Old 01-01-2013 , 06:14   Re: Looking for new server host.
Reply With Quote #17

Get your own VPS. You can easily find cheap ones at http://www.lowendbox.com
Setup your own server, and you're done. Its really easy, if you don't know how, Google is your best friend.

Don't look for Multiplay, their support sucks a lot.

Last edited by GIANT_CRAB; 01-01-2013 at 06:45.
Helvetica
Old 01-01-2013 , 06:36   Re: Looking for new server host.
Reply With Quote #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elephantom View Post
I've actually heard that NFOservers isn't that great.

And I've previously stated I don't know how and am unable to host it myself.
I've also heard NFO is terribad, although I've never used them myself. I remember reading a lot of complaints about their customer service being practically non-existent, although to be fair that was about a year ago.
Ade
I love purple
Old 01-01-2013 , 06:59   Re: Looking for new server host.
Reply With Quote #19

http://www.gsprating.com/jestservers/
Old 01-01-2013 , 08:16   Re: Looking for new server host.
Reply With Quote #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by GIANT_CRAB View Post
Get your own VPS. You can easily find cheap ones at http://www.lowendbox.com
Setup your own server, and you're done. Its really easy, if you don't know how, Google is your best friend.

Don't look for Multiplay, their support sucks a lot.
VPS's are generally a bad idea for SRCDS unless you can purchase a dedicated CPU core with the package.

Generally a normal VPS is equal share CPU between however many clients they have on the one node (servers from lowendbox.com will have more than the more expensive VPS providers). I'm sure most of you know that SRCDS is mostly single threaded so benefits more from a single high Ghz cpu core.

What you will find is during peak time that your VPS will be allocated less CPU which is when you will probably need it causing performance issues. You'd be lucky to run a 12 slot server during peak time.

I know NFO servers provides a dedicated core for their VPS plans, I'm not sure who else do.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ade View Post
jestservers have pages with 404 errors all over their website, pretty unprofessional. Looks like they use softlayer servers, so should provide decent game servers (uptime and network).

Last edited by ThatMatt; 01-01-2013 at 08:21.