Raised This Month: $ Target: $400
 0% 

SMAC Immuninty

Post New Thread Reply   

MrBen
SourceMod Donor
Old 03-01-2012 , 04:24   Re: SMAC Immuninty
Reply With Quote #11

I must admit I share Checksters concerns about this.

I have great faith in SMAC these days and purposely seek out SMAC protected servers to play on (when Im having a rest from admin duties on my own). I respect server owners who have taken the initiative to seek out additional protection such as SMAC, but the thought that admins can set themselves to be immune from SMAC leaves a very bad taste in the mouth.

I'd go further to say that in my opinion it significantly lessens the credibilty of SMAC whilst such an option exists :-(

I'd also be grateful if the OP could provide a list of his servers so that I can blacklist them, as I certainly have no wish to play on them.

MrBen
GoD-Tony
Veteran Member
Old 03-01-2012 , 04:41   Re: SMAC Immuninty
Reply With Quote #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBen View Post
the thought that admins can set themselves to be immune from SMAC leaves a very bad taste in the mouth.
What about the thought that admins can already cheat with or without SMAC?

Using the simplest of SM plugins, they could enable admin-only features that would give them an infinite amount of advantage. Whether an SMAC immunity plugin exists or not doesn't change that fact.

There are many valid reasons for giving immunity (temporarily or otherwise) to players from SMAC. What if a server has a VIP feature that allows all VIPs to bunnyhop around the map? Or a gamemode that temporarily gives players an aimbot (yes, that exists)?

In the end, I believe that server owners can do whatever they want with their servers, and if that means all of the walls are pink and ponies are flying around, then that's up to them. Their player counts will surely reflect that.

Last edited by GoD-Tony; 03-01-2012 at 04:46.
checkster
BANNED
Old 03-01-2012 , 06:55   Re: SMAC Immuninty
Reply With Quote #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoD-Tony View Post
What about the thought that admins can already cheat with or without SMAC?

Using the simplest of SM plugins, they could enable admin-only features that would give them an infinite amount of advantage. Whether an SMAC immunity plugin exists or not doesn't change that fact.

There are many valid reasons for giving immunity (temporarily or otherwise) to players from SMAC. What if a server has a VIP feature that allows all VIPs to bunnyhop around the map? Or a gamemode that temporarily gives players an aimbot (yes, that exists)?

In the end, I believe that server owners can do whatever they want with their servers, and if that means all of the walls are pink and ponies are flying around, then that's up to them. Their player counts will surely reflect that.
This is true.
Long live admin hacks
MrBen
SourceMod Donor
Old 03-01-2012 , 12:02   Re: SMAC Immuninty
Reply With Quote #14

I have really strong views on this subject and I'm gutted about this latest development in SMAC, but we clearly have different opinions on
this matter, so I'll just say thanks for taking the time to reply Tony.

Last edited by MrBen; 03-01-2012 at 12:03.
thetwistedpanda
Good Little Panda
Old 03-01-2012 , 12:09   Re: SMAC Immuninty
Reply With Quote #15

MrBen, any server owner could easily edit SMAC with or without Tony's insight on the matter and add similar code which grants admin immunity. As it's open source, it could be edited in any manner and you would be none the wiser. Hell, I've seen a few fake "SMAC" plugins that, while appear to be valid, exist to give certain players advantages in-game so no one would know.

Last edited by thetwistedpanda; 03-01-2012 at 12:09.
GoD-Tony
Veteran Member
Old 03-01-2012 , 12:10   Re: SMAC Immuninty
Reply With Quote #16

Quote:
I'm gutted about this latest development in SMAC
Keep in mind that the plugin posted in this thread is not an official part of SMAC, and has no plans to be. Other than that there is not much to be said, as this has been possible forever since SMAC is open-source.

Cheers.
Old 03-01-2012 , 15:36   Re: SMAC Immuninty
Reply With Quote #17

Yep, ok guys, perhaps I'm being a little naive when you factor in the open source nature of Sourcemod plugins and SMAC. But if there is one thing that winds me up more than cheaters, it's cheating admins.

Fair points made though - I'll get back in my cage.

Cheers :-)
checkster
BANNED
Old 03-01-2012 , 16:47   Re: SMAC Immuninty
Reply With Quote #18

Quote:
Yep, ok guys, perhaps I'm being a little naive when you factor in the open source nature of Sourcemod plugins and SMAC. But if there is one thing that winds me up more than cheaters, it's cheating admins.

Fair points made though - I'll get back in my cage.

Cheers :-)
Cheatmin = funmin
Drixevel
AlliedModders Donor
Old 03-03-2012 , 01:01   Re: SMAC Immuninty
Reply With Quote #19

You see an admin with an Aimbot and just abusing like crazy in the server you're playing on? leave. It's what I do and I tell people to leave if they don't like the way we do things. The disconnect button exists and people should use it more often. SMAC is built so people use it less often on your servers if you install it.