Sourcebans 34 59.65%
Website / Forum (please tell me what you are using) 23 40.35%
Something Else (please tell me what you would like) 4 7.02%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 57. You may not vote on this poll

[15.08.2014] SourceDonates - A fully automated Donation System

Post New Thread Reply   

Arrow768
Veteran Member
Old 11-03-2012 , 11:22   Re: [ReWrite] SourceDonates - A fully automated Donation System
Reply With Quote #111

We have dropped SourceBans Support because we think its better to support SQL Admins, wich is a standard SM Plugin.
You can use SQL Admins and Sourcebans at the same time (tested and confirmed working)

But If you can tell me a good point why we should add SB Support again, we will do it
Old 11-03-2012 , 21:32   Re: [ReWrite] SourceDonates - A fully automated Donation System
Reply With Quote #112

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arrow768 View Post
We have dropped SourceBans Support because we think its better to support SQL Admins, wich is a standard SM Plugin.
You can use SQL Admins and Sourcebans at the same time (tested and confirmed working)

But If you can tell me a good point why we should add SB Support again, we will do it
Well the simple answer is everyone uses sourcebans not everyone uses SQL admins so its adding an unnecessary database and database connection and providers like NFO limit the number of connections so many will not be able to implement it.
YamiKaitou
Has a lovely bunch of coconuts
Old 11-03-2012 , 21:57   Re: [ReWrite] SourceDonates - A fully automated Donation System
Reply With Quote #113

If you plan on limiting what you support, then please allow users to host the script themselves so they can add additional features to suit their needs. I know I won't be using your hosted solution

I do not browse the forums regularly anymore. If you need me for anything (asking questions or anything else), then PM me (be descriptive in your PM, message containing only a link to a thread will be ignored).

Last edited by YamiKaitou; 11-03-2012 at 21:57.
ocwoody
AlliedModders Donor
Old 11-03-2012 , 22:02   Re: [ReWrite] SourceDonates - A fully automated Donation System
Reply With Quote #114

Quote:
Originally Posted by YamiKaitou View Post
If you plan on limiting what you support, then please allow users to host the script themselves so they can add additional features to suit their needs. I know I won't be using your hosted solution
I would have to agree. I won't be using anything that I cannot host myself, nor that is not open source.
Arrow768
Veteran Member
Old 11-04-2012 , 07:06   Re: [ReWrite] SourceDonates - A fully automated Donation System
Reply With Quote #115

The Reason why its not opensource is quite simple:

There was a quite unknown online-gameengine. The coders placed a copyright in the footer of the first page. About 20-30% of the Users have removed the copyright.
This is a Donation System, and there is money involved. The Community with the better System will get more donations. And thats the Problem - If someone improves it, he might think:"Why should I work for other Communitys".
The Example with the Gaming Engine is a great Example, because there its only about prestige ("Hey, I have built my own browser game") and SourceDonates is about money, so I expect it to become even worse
Lets think what happens if I publish the code of SD under the GNU AGPL License. Do you think that atleast 40% of the people how have modded something of code will share their changes ? - I bet not.

It would easy to make an auto uploader, that provides a link to a zip with the db and the system. But it would also be easy to remove it again.

I have seen only one way to prevent all these stuff and make a standard donation system: That is a hosted Solution or a fully encrypted System

A hosted Solution will not prevent modifications: If a user knows what he wants to do and he can explain that to me, he will get all the files he needs to make this mod. Then this mod will be merged into the next update and everyone has got the modification.

Let me tell you a last thing:
You dont have to use it. Everyone is free to code a donation system by himself or to pay a coder to make a donation system for him. I am doing this in my freetime and I dont expect to make money with it. If I would like to make money with it, I would have said: "This System is worth 200€ including updates for 6 months", but you have never heard this sentence from me. Instead i said: "It will be for free, as long as I dont need a Server to host it"

moxie2020:
There will be a mysql-query editor so you can adapt the querys to your own application (in this case SB)
But once we are finished with the Integration of the most common Forum Types we can integrate SB again.
Old 11-04-2012 , 21:31   Re: [ReWrite] SourceDonates - A fully automated Donation System
Reply With Quote #116

Quote:

There was a quite unknown online-gameengine. The coders placed a copyright in the footer of the first page. About 20-30% of the Users have removed the copyright.
This is a Donation System, and there is money involved. The Community with the better System will get more donations. And thats the Problem - If someone improves it, he might think:"Why should I work for other Communitys".
The Example with the Gaming Engine is a great Example, because there its only about prestige ("Hey, I have built my own browser game") and SourceDonates is about money, so I expect it to become even worse
Lets think what happens if I publish the code of SD under the GNU AGPL License. Do you think that atleast 40% of the people how have modded something of code will share their changes ? - I bet not.

It would easy to make an auto uploader, that provides a link to a zip with the db and the system. But it would also be easy to remove it again.

I have seen only one way to prevent all these stuff and make a standard donation system: That is a hosted Solution or a fully encrypted System

A hosted Solution will not prevent modifications: If a user knows what he wants to do and he can explain that to me, he will get all the files he needs to make this mod. Then this mod will be merged into the next update and everyone has got the modification.

You dont have to use it. Everyone is free to code a donation system by himself or to pay a coder to make a donation system for him. I am doing this in my freetime and I dont expect to make money with it. If I would like to make money with it, I would have said: "This System is worth 200€ including updates for 6 months", but you have never heard this sentence from me. Instead i said: "It will be for free, as long as I dont need a Server to host it"

moxie2020:
There will be a mysql-query editor so you can adapt the querys to your own application (in this case SB)
But once we are finished with the Integration of the most common Forum Types we can integrate SB again.
Think that might work for Sourcebans.
YamiKaitou
Has a lovely bunch of coconuts
Old 11-05-2012 , 07:54   Re: [ReWrite] SourceDonates - A fully automated Donation System
Reply With Quote #117

Well, if that is your current mentality on this project, it seems that this is not for me then. Good luck to you.

Quote:
Instead i said: "It will be for free, as long as I dont need a Server to host it"
Going back to what askerkin stated, if you do ever start to charge for it, you will not be allowed to advertise it anymore on this site.

I do not browse the forums regularly anymore. If you need me for anything (asking questions or anything else), then PM me (be descriptive in your PM, message containing only a link to a thread will be ignored).
alandarev
Old 11-10-2012 , 19:52   Re: [ReWrite] SourceDonates - A fully automated Donation System
Reply With Quote #118

Quote:

moxie2020:
You speak like a Russian but are from Australia? *Confused*
Mitchell
~lick~
Old 11-10-2012 , 22:31   Re: [ReWrite] SourceDonates - A fully automated Donation System
Reply With Quote #119

so this wont be open source for people to learn from?
Zephyrus
Cool Pig B)
Old 11-11-2012 , 07:32   Re: [ReWrite] SourceDonates - A fully automated Donation System
Reply With Quote #120

what happens if your host goes down...?