Raised This Month: $ Target: $400
 0% 

Weapon (Guns) Sound Replacement CS

Post New Thread Reply   

FR0NTLINE
AlliedModders Donor
Old 09-18-2009 , 00:41   Re: Weapon (Guns) Sound Replacement CS
Reply With Quote #11

Damn this was a year ago i'm gettin old.
Old 09-18-2009 , 02:01   Re: Weapon (Guns) Sound Replacement CS
Reply With Quote #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arkshine View Post
As far I know, you can replace weapon sounds only for the knife in cs/cz. Maybe there is a way to do that, but it seems that nobody has found it.
Weapon sounds can be replaced with a plugin.
The single problem is that someone needs to decompile, edit and recompile the weapon models. It's not hard but it takes a little time (not as long as making the plugin though)

So what is needed:

1. A plugin that replaces weapon models.
2. Premodified weapon models
3. The plugin should also precache the custom sounds of the weapons.

So if I DL a custom M4A1 model that uses custom sounds, I need to decompile that model and add in the .qc file one more folder in the sound adress.

For example "sound\weapons\m4a1-1.wav" will become "sound\weapons\mycustomfolder\m4a1-1.wav"
That goes for all the sounds.

In the end we will have some new weapon models and a custom folder inside "sound\weapons" filled with our custom sounds.

That's it. It can be done.
I can make a more detailed tutorial of how anybody without any experience can change the default folder in which the custom model will search for it's sounds.

The custom sounds dir it's handled client-side by the actual weapon model.
That's why you can't ever change weapon sounds.

And I don't have any ideea why for melee weapons it doesn't aply the same roule...

EDIT:

If you want custom sounds with default weapon models, well..... you have to modify the default weapon model aswell... and it will count on the download list...
So better use custom weapon models aswell besides the sounds as it will be a waste of resource downloading for just some sounds...
Anyways I think the custom models thing is the actual purpose and the custom sounds comes on secondary place, so I don't think this will be a big problem

Last edited by Costin83; 09-18-2009 at 02:08.
Send a message via Yahoo to Costin83
Arkshine
AMX Mod X Plugin Approver
Old 09-18-2009 , 03:20   Re: Weapon (Guns) Sound Replacement CS
Reply With Quote #13

What you say is not replacing sounds with a SERVER-SIDE plugin. I know you can add events into the model and you need to precache the sounds with a plugin, but it's not the plugin which replace the sounds. Plus I'm not sure that the sounds are actually replaced but both will be probably played at the same time. ( never tried ). Using this method on 'default' weapon, people would need to download the weapon, I don't think it's a good solution.
Old 09-18-2009 , 03:36   Re: Weapon (Guns) Sound Replacement CS
Reply With Quote #14

but why would u do something like that ? this is silly just download the models and the sounds and usit for yourself .. or make a pach and post it on your forum for players to download it ...
Old 09-18-2009 , 04:05   Re: Weapon (Guns) Sound Replacement CS
Reply With Quote #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by mplayerexe View Post
but why would u do something like that ? this is silly just download the models and the sounds and usit for yourself .. or make a pach and post it on your forum for players to download it ...
Because that's what the request is about... ?
BTW I don't like the ideea either... I like to keep the server clean of custom models/s**t/etc.
If I want a custom model I just DL it eventualy edit it and use it for myself. I don't like at all servers that use such plugins...

Quote:
What you say is not replacing sounds with a SERVER-SIDE plugin. I know you can add events into the model and you need to precache the sounds with a plugin, but it's not the plugin which replace the sounds. Plus I'm not sure that the sounds are actually replaced but both will be probably played at the same time. ( never tried ). Using this method on 'default' weapon, people would need to download the weapon, I don't think it's a good solution.
1. If replacing the sounds with a server-side plugin means that the plugin must handle the actual sound event by "catching" the fire event than yes... It's not the plugin that's replacing the actual sounds...

But the sounds can't be "replaced" with other method... And above all it's better this way because it will be less "calculations" to make. The plugin will just handle the weapon model replacement and the weapon and client engine will handle the rest. But the plugin MUST precache the sounds for the weapon to have the actual sounds themselves....

2. The sounds will play right I can assure you that it won't be anny problem like playing two sounds at once (default & custom at same time)

Quote:
So better use custom weapon models aswell besides the sounds as it will be a waste of resource downloading for just some sounds...

Last edited by Costin83; 09-18-2009 at 04:09.
Arkshine
Old 09-18-2009 , 05:37   Re: Weapon (Guns) Sound Replacement CS
Reply With Quote #16

Still, it's not a good method :

- 99% players don't know how to edit models
- Download a new model each time could be a pain for some players which don't have fast server dl or fast connections.
- Even it's not a poblem to play both sounds at the same time, you don't replace the original sound, you just overlap. Not that nice.
- If you want to change the sound later, you will have to edit again the model, renaming model and sounds, re-downloading again all...
- Doing that just to replace some sounds, it's a pain and not worth to do it.

It's not worth to do it on the default CS weapons. Better to use only when you create a whole custom weapon where a new model is needed. Even in this situation I would prefer to play the sound in the code so I can customize how the sound will be played, where in the code etc.

Last edited by Arkshine; 09-18-2009 at 05:47.
Costin83
Old 09-18-2009 , 07:22   Re: Weapon (Guns) Sound Replacement CS
Reply With Quote #17

Well.... I just now realized that this request was for the sounds... not weapon model repacement... Stupid me...

EDIT:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arkshine View Post
- Even it's not a poblem to play both sounds at the same time, you don't replace the original sound, you just overlap. Not that nice.
The sounds won't overlap... If the custom model "requests" a custom sound event, the CS engine won't play the default sound.
If you make a model without any sound events in it's .qc file the default sounds will be played.
If the model specifies any sound event it will override the default sound and never overlap it.

But anyways this is already offtopic as I missunderstood the Topic title...

Last edited by Costin83; 09-18-2009 at 07:27.
Arkshine
Old 09-18-2009 , 11:54   Re: Weapon (Guns) Sound Replacement CS
Reply With Quote #18

No problem and thanks for the information.