Raised This Month: $ Target: $400
 0% 

Fun Experiment!

Post New Thread Reply   

Bad_Bud
Old 08-18-2009 , 04:57   Fun Experiment!
Reply With Quote #1

http://www.newscientist.com/article/...rue&print=true

Quote:
Trick of the light
If you happen to be standing near the event horizon of a black hole, and have a flashlight, try this experiment. Switch on the light. You should see the beam circumnavigate the black hole and come right back to you, held in a circle by the intense gravitational field. Now move far away from the black hole, and shoot the light beam off into the universe. What happens?

In Einstein's theory of general relativity, space and time are welded together to form space-time, and the curvature of space-time corresponds to the strength of the gravitational field. This in turn depends on the amount of matter present, as well as the strengths of other fields. If the universe has a positive 3D curvature (like a ball) - a situation allowed by certain solutions of Einstein's equations - the flashlight beam will travel on a curved trajectory, pulled by the large amount of matter present. The beam may even circle the universe more than once.

Raj Pathria of the University of Waterloo first noted a correspondence between the behaviour of light beams near 4D black holes and in universes with positive 3D curvature in 1972 (Nature, vol 240, p 298). And, he pointed out, a 4D black hole and a 4D universe both have singularities - in space and time, respectively. While astronomers now believe that there is not enough matter in the universe to make its 3D (ordinary space) part curve positively, Pathria's work on the parallels between black holes and universes still seems curiously prescient: perhaps all he really lacked was an extra dimension.
Well, I'll make sure to keep this in mind the next time I'm near the event horizon of a black hole, and carrying a flashlight.
Old 08-18-2009 , 19:54   Re: Fun Experiment!
Reply With Quote #2

You will probably have forgotten your flashlight.
Old 08-18-2009 , 21:46   Re: Fun Experiment!
Reply With Quote #3

will this do the same with my cell phone? verizon would have full bars in a black hole dont you think?

Quote:
Originally Posted by a dumb nerd
Can you hear me now? GooAHHHH!!!!