Servers on ftp question

Post New Thread Reply   

purple_pixie
Veteran Member
Old 04-09-2009 , 04:22   Re: Servers on ftp question
Reply With Quote #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by {PHILMAGROIN} View Post
what about from an external hard drive? would you be able to run a cs server from it?

It would be a dedicated server im guessing? if this is possible.
That could be one of the most epically retarded questions I've seen in a while ... but most of this thread shows an impressive disdain for knowledge.

Listen to fysiks, that one seems to have a clue.

Essentially, any computer (physical or virtual) with an internet connection *can* host CS.
If you don't have physical access to the box it would normally require an FTP service running on it (again, *any* computer with internet can host this) to upload your files.
It would (again assuming no physical access) also require ssh or (much less securely) good old-fashioned telnet access to allow remote administration.

If, for some obscure, borderline retarded, reason your webhosting providers gave you ssh access to your server box then you could, theoretically, run anything you wanted on the box. It may well, however, violate your TOS and they could well have every legal right to keep your money and reclaim your server.
[/rant]
Ingram
Veteran Member
Old 04-09-2009 , 07:46   Re: Servers on ftp question
Reply With Quote #12

Pretty sure SSH can transfer files, but maybe I'm crazy.
As for running it off a USB hard drive, USB should be able to do 40-50MB/s, so this should work fine.
If you meant a network hard drive, its possible but the CPU may be too small for more than a few players. Your biggest problem will be enough RAM. I checked my 3 yr old external. It has a 266MHz processor and only 32MB of RAM (0.6MB free). You can always make more RAM with a page/swapfile tho.
fysiks
Veteran Member
Old 04-09-2009 , 07:57   Re: Servers on ftp question
Reply With Quote #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ingram View Post
Pretty sure SSH can transfer files, but maybe I'm crazy.
sftp
Old 04-09-2009 , 08:37   Re: Servers on ftp question
Reply With Quote #14

You *could* transfer files using SSH, though not directly.

Using, for example, netcat on both the local machine and on the remote one (started with SSH)

nc -l ip port > filename [on remote via SSH]
nc remote_ip port < filename [locally]

And, as they say, voilą.

But you can't "SSH" a file onto a server
Ingram
Veteran Member
Old 04-10-2009 , 04:25   Re: Servers on ftp question
Reply With Quote #15

I was thinking SCP.
{PHILMAGROIN}
Old 04-10-2009 , 19:15   Re: Servers on ftp question
Reply With Quote #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by purple_pixie View Post
That could be one of the most epically retarded questions I've seen in a while ... but most of this thread shows an impressive disdain for knowledge.

Listen to fysiks, that one seems to have a clue.

Essentially, any computer (physical or virtual) with an internet connection *can* host CS.
If you don't have physical access to the box it would normally require an FTP service running on it (again, *any* computer with internet can host this) to upload your files.
It would (again assuming no physical access) also require ssh or (much less securely) good old-fashioned telnet access to allow remote administration.

If, for some obscure, borderline retarded, reason your webhosting providers gave you ssh access to your server box then you could, theoretically, run anything you wanted on the box. It may well, however, violate your TOS and they could well have every legal right to keep your money and reclaim your server.
[/rant]
I don't see how it was the "most epically retarded question," some of us don't know much about computers and have questions. and then there are the ones that are happy to help us out. you arent one of them. but thanks for answering. even if it is an insulting answer it helps.
Veteran Member
Old 04-17-2009 , 04:51   Re: Servers on ftp question
Reply With Quote #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by {PHILMAGROIN} View Post
...and then there are the ones that are happy to help us out. you arent one of them. but thanks for answering. even if it is an insulting answer it helps.
Actually, I'm almost always happy to help.

It's just that since noone rewards me for helping sometimes I have to entertain myself a little while doing it.

As you said - I did help, and I was certainly happy to write that.
{PHILMAGROIN}
Old 04-18-2009 , 02:26   Re: Servers on ftp question
Reply With Quote #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by purple_pixie View Post
Actually, I'm almost always happy to help.

It's just that since noone rewards me for helping sometimes I have to entertain myself a little while doing it.

As you said - I did help, and I was certainly happy to write that.
haha. alright well thanks again. i've seen you around helping people. but not everyone doesn't appreciate it!