Future and more on sig scanning

Post New Thread Reply   

Tryclyde
Old 10-16-2008 , 14:27   Future and more on sig scanning
Reply With Quote #1

Is this in the near future?
Quote:
The Future

While Metamod:Source is a stable/production product, more features are on the horizon. There are distant plans for a detouring library and a library for efficiently automated signature scanning.
I'm still lost on sigscanning, I'm using BAILOPAN's sigscanner and I don't get a few things.

1. I can call csigmngr.resolvesig() but what is the first parameter?
Code:
void *ResolveSig(void *memInBase, const char *pattern, size_t siglen);
I have the pattern and size of the address I want (Teleport) but I don't understand what the first parameter is.

2. I'm seeing that global hooks have been added, I'm guessing I can use this to get an instance of all the CBaseEntity or CBasePlayers in the server? I don't understand how to get a hold of CBaseEntity and how to use it.

3. How would I create a function after I actually do csigmngr.ResolveSig() so I can actually CALL CBaseEntity::Teleport?
Send a message via AIM to Tryclyde
BAILOPAN
Old 10-16-2008 , 21:20   Re: Future and more on sig scanning
Reply With Quote #2

0. I don't think anyone is actively working on it.

1. First parameter is a memory address in the DLL the pattern resides. Should be a code address. ismm->serverFactory(X) will work where X is the parameter that gives you the "real" address and not the fake one.

2. Global hooks affect a vtable, which represents a point in the inheritance chain. If you specify a global hook on, for example, a CCSPlayer - it will not affect CCSBots because they are derived and have a different vtable. Thus there is no way to hook "every" CBaseEntity without tracking down and globally hooking each derived class. This isn't a limitation of SourceHook - it's how C++ works.

But to answer your question, you need to get an instance before you start using it (for example, a player connecting). Or, you need the vtable by sniffing it out of the DLL through signature scanning or whatnot.

3. You need to construct the assembly in an executable buffer.
  • You can bit-bang.
  • You can use SourceHook, which has x86_macros.h and sh_pagealloc.h, respectively they are macros for jitting runtime functions and helpers for allocating executable memory.
  • If you're using SourceMod extensions, you can use the BinTools extension (IBinTools.h API) which lets you construct arbitrary function calls.
Old 10-19-2008 , 13:55   Re: Future and more on sig scanning
Reply With Quote #3

Thanks, that does explain a lot, I'm still going to try browsing for examples on re-constructing a signature call
Send a message via AIM to Tryclyde