Raised This Month: $ Target: $400
 0% 

Where can I get a 32 slot server with Zombie Plague?

Post New Thread Reply   

lomax84
Old 08-27-2008 , 15:29   Where can I get a 32 slot server with Zombie Plague?
Reply With Quote #1

Hello everyone. This is my first post and I hope it's not violating any rules. I tried a search for "hosting" but nothing was too relevant. And this is more about where to get hosting than specifically Zombie Plague, so don't get all anti-zombie on me. Here it goes...

I've been playing a lot of Zombie Plague (at 40cal games) and figured it would be fun to start my own server... if not just so I could make myself nemesis and ban lamers.

What's the best way to host a 32 player Zombie Plague server? I looked at counter-strike.com servers and I'm ok with paying $50/month, but I'm not sure they support Zombie Plague and custom plugins. I don't even think you can SSH. Is it better off to pay for dedicated hosting and then install the HL server on it? If I did this, could I run multiple instances?

I'm planning on developing (or hiring someone to develop) an additional plugin that allows players to build up "credits" redeemable for choosing to be Nemisis or Survivor or other ingame perks, but that's another story... The first step is setting up my own Zombie Plague server, and I'm hoping you all can help me.

Thanks
minimiller
Veteran Member
Old 08-27-2008 , 15:54   Re: Where can I get a 32 slot server with Zombie Plague?
Reply With Quote #2

Well for a start: advertising is not allowed on this site so no1 can direct you a specific server host
What we can say is: "Scout around for hosts"
Find one you like the look of
Things you should look for are:
  • Testimonials from existing customers
  • Price per slot
  • Support (MSN, IRC etc. What do u use the most)
  • Server specs (FPS, tick rate, registry etc.)
Also, you might not wanna jump in with 32 slots straight away
As the server is just starting up, you probly wont have many ppl joining in the first couple of weeks
If i were you i would buy 15 slots then wait a month
At the end of that month, see if your server is popular or not
E.g do you need more than 15 slots?
If the answer is "yes", contact your host and ask for a slot upgrade

Most server hosts will be happy to upgrade you server to more slots, because it means more money for them

Good luck!
Old 08-27-2008 , 15:59   Re: Where can I get a 32 slot server with Zombie Plague?
Reply With Quote #3

Hmm. Could there be a distinction between recommending a good host and advertising one? In my case I'm soliciting for a host... so I don't see why it wouldn't be allowed.

I've scouted around for hosts for the last 2 hours and can't decide on which one. That's why I came here... you are the people that deal with these hosts everyday and have first hand experience with them.

At any rate, I ask if you have a particular host that you've found to be exceptional, please PM me their URL

Thank you for the advice on starting small. I will do.
minimiller
Veteran Member
Old 08-27-2008 , 16:06   Re: Where can I get a 32 slot server with Zombie Plague?
Reply With Quote #4

Check PM for some hosts
Old 08-27-2008 , 16:47   Re: Where can I get a 32 slot server with Zombie Plague?
Reply With Quote #5

1. You can host from your own computer for free (not just LAN), 32 slot.
Just make sure you got some dec. (decent) specs. so nothing lags.

2. Just buy from like...Quantem servers, Bloodservers, or VeeServers. (Major ones I've heard of)

3. I don't think you mentioned that you needed helping setting the server up, but if you do I can do that. I have completly set up and managed 2 servers for other people, and I can do the same for you.

4. Good luck bro.
Old 08-27-2008 , 17:07   Re: Where can I get a 32 slot server with Zombie Plague?
Reply With Quote #6

Just to let you know most, if not all, server companies allow custom plugins and mods. It is probably easier to buy from a game server provider than to buy some server space and set it up yourself. counter-strike.com does allow custom plugins. Also if there is a server provider that won't let you do that then they are a terrible provider. Or they are a league gaming provider. In that case you wouldn't need mods.
Old 08-27-2008 , 17:34   Re: Where can I get a 32 slot server with Zombie Plague?
Reply With Quote #7

Thanks guys.

I just bought a game server from counter-strike and I'm waiting for it to get set-up. Hopefully it all works out.