Raised This Month: $ Target: $400
 0% 

REQUEST: HTTP:// server ..yes thats right an AMXX WEBSERVER

Post New Thread Reply   

Wraith,
Old 09-26-2004 , 21:42  
Reply With Quote #11

Have you actually considered that it might be a really really bad idea? Having a gameserver running in the single threaded hlds server wouldn't really be fun, you'd end up having to balance webserving and game serving, without the capacity for scheduling the load internally you're going to end up with the server waiting on webserving. Lag anyone?

If the webserver crashes, the game goes too. What happens if someone decides to use the webserver as a method of attack on your server?

There is also the factor that if you're renting a game server perhaps you should only be using it as a gameserver instead of using it as a web/http server as well. Afterall i would think that bandwidth/load for the gameservers is calculated to pretty thin margins to extract the best price possible, if you install a webserver you're going to make the server run slower by using more resources than you should be.

Speaking entirely personally if i gave someone access to a game directory and then found they'd installed a webserver on it i'd be very annoyed.

If you want a webserver i'd suggest you use a webserver, if you only rent a gameserver then go and rent a webserver as well.
devicenull
Veteran Member
Old 09-26-2004 , 22:09  
Reply With Quote #12

You would need multithreading to do this
Old 09-27-2004 , 05:42  
Reply With Quote #13

sounds like its a imposable project...

NO Support Via PM
KiN | SuicideDog
Old 09-27-2004 , 11:51  
Reply With Quote #14

Some how I don't think he meant this:

imposable

\Im*pos"a*ble\, a. [Cf. F. imposable.] Capable of being imposed or laid on.

I could be wrong..

I would like to suggest a plug-in for all those IE users out there.. http://www.iespell.com/ it's free.. use it.

Those of you out there that use Firefox have no excuse.. it comes with a spell checker if I remember correctly.
KiN | SuicideDog
Old 09-27-2004 , 11:52  
Reply With Quote #15

So is there anyone willing to take this project on? I think it could be killer.

I wonder if there would be some way to limit the bandwidth.. I know number of connections would work.. but it would be killer if I could throttle it .. as to not lag out the other servers I'm running on the box.
EKS
Veteran Member
Old 09-27-2004 , 12:57  
Reply With Quote #16

ok, First of all. Webmod is multithreaded. Running this all in 1 thread would offcourse be horrible.

And i agree that using the HLDS for a webserver ( As in hosting webpages) is not a good idea.
But Using it to ONLY allow download of maps would be a better idea, sure its gonna put some extra drain on the server( As its never gonna be as optimised as a "retail" webserver) but its gonna be alot simpler to install and easyer to setup with the sv_download cvar ( As it proberbly could all be done automaticly).
So as allways your gonna end up with trading some CPU/RAM for it being simpler to use.
kalel
Old 09-28-2004 , 01:49  
Reply With Quote #17

but at the same time no matter where u use this mod on a dedicated server or a rented server you would still have to open port 80

NO Support Via PM
KiN | SuicideDog
Old 09-29-2004 , 20:55  
Reply With Quote #18

no you don't have to open port 80.. you can listen for http traffic on the same port as the server is running on.. thats what webmod does.
[SAS]==Colster==
Old 02-17-2005 , 11:35  
Reply With Quote #19

Not sure if I what I need is along the same lines but it kinda sounds it.

We host a gaming server and use custom maps on there, we also with this rental get 75MB of webspace (on a different server) where we store the maps and have sv_download pointing at it for HTTP fast download.

Our problem is quite simply that we used up the 75MB space, getting more space for us isn't a problem as we (the Clan members) all have some free webspace with our DSL accounts. The problem for us is how do we use multiple addresses for the sv_download cvar, we have tried making map cfg files, that merely reset the sv_download cvar from its setting in server.cfg (the main webspace URL) and uploading these to both the root and (as per Firestorm's suggestion) the amxx configs folder. Although when I change map from HLSW i still get a "Cant precache dod_harrington.cfg" error

Neither causes the map to be downloaded from the webserver, unless it is on the main webspace, in which case it works fine.

What would be ideal is a plugin that forces the sv_download value to change in server.cfg when the value of amx_nextmap is a map which resides on a different server to the main one.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Send a message via MSN to [SAS]==Colster==
Johnny got his gun
Veteran Member
Old 02-17-2005 , 16:19  
Reply With Quote #20

Not sure I understand your request:

You want to chagne sv_downloadurl to point to different locations based on what map is currently running?

Create file amxmodx/configs/maps/de_dust.cfg

Put a line like this in it:
sv_downloadurl http://dot.net/mywebfolder

Not sure if this will in fact change the cvar and thereby the URL clients get fast enough in case they are connected since last map. Maybe they connect "too fast", before that cfg is executed and therefor still find the old URL which they don't find the map at, and then goes back to "trickle" dl from your game server.
In that case maybe you do need to change the sv_downloadurl right before map changes. (which is very easy to do of course)