Raised This Month: $ Target: $400
 0% 

restrict playability of a map to a specific server?

Post New Thread Reply   

smooth
Old 10-29-2007 , 09:08   restrict playability of a map to a specific server?
Reply With Quote #1

Hi,
I don't know much about plugins and coding etc.
I just want to know if it is possible to restrict the playability of a specific map to a specific server. The map should not even be playable in LAN mode / on listening server. The only way to be able to play the map should be by connecting to my server.

I know I can't restrict the download of the map since everybody needs it on his HD to be able to play it on my server. So I thought maybe there is a way to code some plugin that makes the map only playable on my server. Every suggestion is welcome, not only solvings based on plugins.
So be creative! :)

Thx!
smooth
K2
Old 10-29-2007 , 23:57   Re: restrict playability of a map to a specific server?
Reply With Quote #2

You could delete the map from the /maps folder on your server...
smooth
Old 11-03-2007 , 13:18   Re: restrict playability of a map to a specific server?
Reply With Quote #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by K2 View Post
You could delete the map from the /maps folder on your server...
Uhm.. maybe I diddn't express my problem clearly enough. Could be my bad english.

I got a selfmade map.
For some reasons I want that everybody can play the map BUT only on my dedicated server, nowehre else.

Everybody should be able to download the map but in order to play/test it, they should have to connect to my server.
Extreme_One
Veteran Member
Old 11-04-2007 , 10:38   Re: restrict playability of a map to a specific server?
Reply With Quote #4

I reckon it's possible and quite easy to do.

Place a trigger_hurt entity over your player spawns set to do maximum damage.

This is the bsp you upload to the sv_downloadurl for your clients to download. If they load this map on a LAN or listen server they will die as soon as they spawn.

Then you take the bsp and open it in entspy and remove the trigger_hurt entities.
Save the map maintaining crc checksum.
This is the map that you upload to your server.

I really can't see why that won't work

It will only fail if you don't have a separate download server and instead have your clients download content from the game server, then they'd end up downloading the 'hacked/ fixed' version.

This hasn't been tested, it's just off the top of my head so please let me know how you get on with it.
Old 11-04-2007 , 10:53   Re: restrict playability of a map to a specific server?
Reply With Quote #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by smooth View Post
Uhm.. maybe I diddn't express my problem clearly enough. Could be my bad english.

I got a selfmade map.
For some reasons I want that everybody can play the map BUT only on my dedicated server, nowehre else.

Everybody should be able to download the map but in order to play/test it, they should have to connect to my server.
Sorry bout that. I have a bad habit of skimming posts if there were a lot of them, didnt catch everything.
ferret
SourceMod Developer
Old 11-05-2007 , 11:30   Re: restrict playability of a map to a specific server?
Reply With Quote #6

People used to do this by having two copies of the map. One copy was missing things that the server needed. I can't remember the exact details, but everything the client needed was there, but they deleted some server-only resource. The client downloaded the map witht deleted resources and could play, but if they tried to host it themselves it failed.

This was years ago though and I don't remember if it was source or HL1.
Old 11-05-2007 , 14:14   Re: restrict playability of a map to a specific server?
Reply With Quote #7

I think the general idea was the actual map file had almost no entities (player spawns, lights, doors etc) and these were all added by an amxx plugin.

If players try to run the map on another server no-one can spawn or do anything..
smooth
Old 11-07-2007 , 09:10   Re: restrict playability of a map to a specific server?
Reply With Quote #8

First of all, thx for your ideas!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pRED* | NZ View Post
I think the general idea was the actual map file had almost no entities (player spawns, lights, doors etc) and these were all added by an amxx plugin.

If players try to run the map on another server no-one can spawn or do anything..
This would be really nice! I have to mention that I don't know anything about map development either. The map I want to use like this isn't even existing yet, but I have an idea for a map and maybe got one who could code it.

So let's see if I got this right: spawns, lights, doors etc. don't have to be downloaded to play the map since the server can tell the client where to place these things on the map, is this right?

Are there already such plugins (CS:S) I could simply use for that or do they need to be coded yet? And if so, is it much or less work to code such plugin? Could such a plugin handle every map which lacks such things or would I need a unique plugin for every map?

I guess lack of spawns would be enough for the map not to be playable on other servers. Not seeing what the map looks like (e.g. in sepctator mode) would be a nice feature too, but doesn't have to be. But: lack of lights - everything would be black and impossible to check out?
Of course simpliest way would be if the map wouldn't even be loadable if not connected to my server.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Extreme_One View Post
Place a trigger_hurt entity over your player spawns set to do maximum damage.

This is the bsp you upload to the sv_downloadurl for your clients to download. If they load this map on a LAN or listen server they will die as soon as they spawn.

Then you take the bsp and open it in entspy and remove the trigger_hurt entities

Save the map maintaining crc checksum.
This is the map that you upload to your server..
Wouldn't this be very easy for others to do too and then realease a "fixed" version of the map?

But if I would have a map that lacks such things like mentioned above for public download and I would place the "fixed" map on the gameserver, would this work out? So I wouldn't even need a Plugin?

Last edited by smooth; 11-07-2007 at 09:23.
bl4nk
SourceMod Developer
Old 11-07-2007 , 14:24   Re: restrict playability of a map to a specific server?
Reply With Quote #9

You can distribute a version compiled without entities, and on the server have the version with entities, and people should be able to play it fine on your server.
ferret
SourceMod Developer
Old 11-07-2007 , 14:37   Re: restrict playability of a map to a specific server?
Reply With Quote #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by bl4nk View Post
You can distribute a version compiled without entities, and on the server have the version with entities, and people should be able to play it fine on your server.
That's what I was getting at, but I didn't remember if it could literally have no entities.