Raised This Month: $ Target: $400
 0% 

Computer Issues

Post New Thread Reply   

jRaven
AMX Mod X Beta Tester
Old 01-17-2007 , 14:02   Re: Computer Issues
Reply With Quote #1

Are you overheating anything? Check heatsinks + fans.
Send a message via ICQ to jRaven Send a message via AIM to jRaven
slmclarengt
Veteran Member
Old 01-17-2007 , 15:44   Re: Computer Issues
Reply With Quote #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by P34nut View Post
format c: ??

reinstall windows
How about not? I just got a new hard drive 1 year ago (practically to the day). It's SeaGate 250 GB 7200 RPM. Please keep useless comments such as format/reinstall to yourself as they are not on my list of things to do. I have run tests on my hard drive therefore it is not my hard drive even after I defragmented.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jRaven View Post
Are you overheating anything? Check heatsinks + fans.
I do not believe so. I will check that and get back to you. Unfortunately, I bought this computer about 4 years ago when building a computer was not an option. It is a DELL and anyone who denegrades it may have a point but for now, it's what I got.

I have a P4 2.2 Ghz with only a heatsink. When I removed the heatsink a few days ago, it did not seem very hot even though I was using my computer for a few hours prior to the heatsink removal. I will check the fans to make sure they are spinning because there is a housing covering the fan and the processor. Maybe there is something wrong with the socket although highly unlikely? I do not understand why this issue would arise - I perform regular switches such as my new video card I replaced and different ram chips, but this issue did not arise immediately following any of these replacements.

Is there a test I could run on my computer for my processor to determine if it is faulty?

Slmclarengt

Come play WC3:FT on BnD Clan Server! You know you want to: Connect to WC3:FT BnD - go ahead click me!
Ingram
Veteran Member
Old 01-17-2007 , 16:38   Re: Computer Issues
Reply With Quote #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by slmclarengt View Post
How about not? I just got a new hard drive 1 year ago (practically to the day). It's SeaGate 250 GB 7200 RPM. Please keep useless comments such as format/reinstall to yourself as they are not on my list of things to do. I have run tests on my hard drive therefore it is not my hard drive even after I defragmented.
I would never call formatting useless and it is unlikely that such a comment refers to your hard drive being the problem.

You should probably check that your new ram is actually running at 266MHz (yes it should be running at the original speed). If not, at least at a speed your motherboard supports. Also since you replaced your video card, try setting the hardware acceleration on it to None and restart to see if it runs smoother.
slmclarengt
Veteran Member
Old 01-17-2007 , 20:01   Re: Computer Issues
Reply With Quote #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJkiller View Post
I would never call formatting useless and it is unlikely that such a comment refers to your hard drive being the problem.

You should probably check that your new ram is actually running at 266MHz (yes it should be running at the original speed). If not, at least at a speed your motherboard supports. Also since you replaced your video card, try setting the hardware acceleration on it to None and restart to see if it runs smoother.
Formatting to me is quite annoying and I am not willing to perform that function unless under extenuating circumstances. Thank you for your advice. I actually had an inkling to disable Hardware Acceleration but since I hate Intel, I was more convinced it was my P4. +Karma :-)

Slmclarengt

Come play WC3:FT on BnD Clan Server! You know you want to: Connect to WC3:FT BnD - go ahead click me!