3% 

Anyone interested in a webserver under source

kr15
Old 05-06-2005 , 18:44  

i would be very interrested if it was also for linux servers,
but it doesn't
philg
Old 05-06-2005 , 20:40  

Sorry about that - but as Im kind'a a n00b at linux, Im not even going to try... Hoever, the concept is really simple - if anyone out there has linux exp. then maybe they can help - I plan on making the source available - and as its soooo basic, maybe it can be re-written (conversion is almost certianly a nogo cos its uses ATL and threads - and I think linux will do things a little differently)...

Phil
kingpin
Veteran Member
Old 05-06-2005 , 21:21  

Any idea when the source might be out?
Old 05-07-2005 , 08:06  

Sometime tomorrow evening (UK time)... when I get back home
But dont expect too much - its nothing special
XAD
Old 05-07-2005 , 16:11  

Quote:
Originally Posted by philg
Sometime tomorrow evening (UK time)... when I get back home
But dont expect too much - its nothing special
Have thought about doing a linux one myself (well actually base it on an open source one)...

Questions...
1) What does your version do more than allowing map download and such?? Why does it have to be a plugin and no a standalone one??

2) Are you using light weight threads or "process" threads?? If you do the later and you are using a threaded web-server (which I think I read that you do), won't this cause a lot of extra CPU overhead. Also using a thread of the hlds engine the webserver will always get the same priority as the hlds process, which would be bad as some people increase priority to it but wouldn't want the webserver part to also have it...

/X
philg
Old 05-08-2005 , 11:25  

1) It serves any static HTML content. it does not suport serverside scriptiong like ASP, PHP, PERL etc. It will serve files as well but only static stuff (ie files in the folders under the root web folder)...

It dosnt have to be a plugin - I wanted it to be a plugin - so I only had to worry about running SRCDS. I took the idea from WebMod in HLDS which I used for simular things - there was no source verison so I made one.

2) Im using process threads. The CPU overhead of delivering a static HTML file to a socket is minimal its hardly a complex task. I did not notice a cpu hit on my srcds server.

Also, you can set the thread priority to anything you like - not all threads have to run at the same priority! - Although I hadnt thought of doing this, it sounds like a good idea so I may stick that in before I put the source online.
philg
Old 05-08-2005 , 13:12  

Ok, ive put v1.7 on my site (with lower priority to http threads) - see if it makes a difference??

I've also put the source code there.
XAD
Old 05-09-2005 , 06:02  

Quote:
2) Im using process threads. The CPU overhead of delivering a static HTML file to a socket is minimal its hardly a complex task. I did not notice a cpu hit on my srcds server.
When I was referring to thread overhead I meant the context switching part. Using a process thread for each HTML request will add context switching overhead (ie the part just switching from one thread to another). Also if you don't use thread pooling you will use a lot of resources creating and killing threads...

Anyway, it's always nice with new ideas and new coders (welcome)...

/X

PS! My reason for adding a webserver as a plugin was to be able to create pages with internal hlds info such as stats and other things... Have you had an idea to do the same thing with yours??
philg
Old 05-09-2005 , 14:10  

[quote="XAD"]
Quote:
Also if you don't use thread pooling you will use a lot of resources creating and killing threads...
Yes your probabyl right - Im not to familiar with thread pooling - so maybe it could be a problem on a slow cpu or a busy server - it will be interesting to see what other people think - personally, Ive only run this on >3Ghz machines running a single server

The HTML is pre-parsed allowing you to get CVARS and some basic statictics from the SRCDS enging and some custom things... But so far, Ive not got any real server side support - the really was just intended as a very quick replacement for WebMod which I used to use on my own server in CS 1.6 (HLDS)

Phil
kr15
Old 05-15-2005 , 13:09  

Is there somebody who try to make it for linux servers since the source is available ??

I'm always interrested in linux version but i can't do it myself cause i'm too noob in linux systems.