Raised This Month: $51 Target: $400
 12% 

Remove nextmap.smx from SM releases

Post New Thread Reply   

Potato Uno
Veteran Member
Old 06-07-2016 , 13:07   Remove nextmap.smx from SM releases
Reply With Quote #1

This plugin has been the culprit of introducing a map changing bug in Mann vs Machine servers (dunno about others) where it completely ignores what map players voted for on the vote menu and instead changes to some other random map when the vote succeeds. Unlike PvP game modes in TF2, map changes in MvM instantly take effect instead of at the end of the current round.

For example, if the players vote to change the map to mvm_bigrock, instead the server will change it to some other random map like mvm_coaltown or whatever nextmap.smx has set the next map to, aka not what the players wanted. It took me long enough to figure out that it is a DEFAULT plugin from AlliedModders themselves that caused this bug, not something broken made by myself or a third party.

I would like to ask the SM dev team to move this plugin by default to the /disabled/ folder since it is a massive hindrance to MvM servers. As it is a core SM plugin, I'm not sure if adding an explicit check to unload if TF2's MvM mode is running is the sane fix to do. However, having this plugin in a platform that is meant to work universally across all game modes for a specific source engine mod seems counterproductive and counterintuitive. It's also a pain in upgrading since nextmap.smx comes in /sourcemod/plugins by default, so upgrading will instantly add back in nextmap.smx even if it was manually removed.

Thank you.

Last edited by Potato Uno; 06-07-2016 at 13:09.
psychonic

BAFFLED
Old 06-07-2016 , 13:26   Re: Remove nextmap.smx from SM releases
Reply With Quote #2

Fixing it to work properly with in-game map votes seems like the better solution.

For someone not familiar with MvM, can you give exact steps to configure the mode and reproduce the issue?

Last edited by psychonic; 06-07-2016 at 13:26.
Potato Uno
Veteran Member
Old 06-07-2016 , 14:27   Re: Remove nextmap.smx from SM releases
Reply With Quote #3

I'm working on something for the next week or so but when I'm done I'll send you a PM with the details to set up & reproduce the issue.

Thanks for your cooperation!
Powerlord
AlliedModders Donor
Old 06-07-2016 , 20:16   Re: Remove nextmap.smx from SM releases
Reply With Quote #4

nextmap.smx is also known to cause issues on CS:GO servers that use the game's internal map vote system... might be a good idea to check the cvars in OnConfigsExecuted to see if it's active.

Edit: The CVar for CS:GO is mp_endmatch_votenextmap

On a side note, TF2 has two types of in-game map votes... NextLevel and ChangeLevel. ChangeLevel instantly changes the map.

Last edited by Powerlord; 06-07-2016 at 20:19.
scso1502
Old 07-21-2016 , 16:34   Re: Remove nextmap.smx from SM releases
Reply With Quote #5

Thank you so much for posting this bug! I've spent hours trying to figure out why my custom MvM server map selections weren't working. I really appreciate it!

Lt. Maverick
BOOM! Gaming & Technology Community
www.boomgaming.net

Last edited by scso1502; 07-21-2016 at 16:34.