Post New Thread Reply   

Russianeer
SourceMod Donor
Old 11-13-2011 , 19:14   Re: Game server provider - reviews
Reply With Quote #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. McKay View Post
<virpus link>
If you are really serious about reselling quality VPS's for game-servers, don't use Virpus. They have the worst possible network for gaming. I know because I've had numerous virtual servers with them, and I host a site on one too.

Last edited by Russianeer; 11-13-2011 at 19:14.
Larsen
Old 11-13-2011 , 19:28   Re: Game server provider - reviews
Reply With Quote #32

Russianeer, I will have to post the email I got from NFO going over the linux vs windows thing. Maybe I wasn't configuring the right server on the website, but there was definitely an option for linux and it was +$30, perhaps that was a VPS vs a VDS - which I'm not sure I understand the difference, I guess the number of cores is the difference?

Dr. McKay
Sir Dr. SourceMod Plugin Approver Esq. Ltd. M.D. PhD
Old 11-13-2011 , 19:41   Re: Game server provider - reviews
Reply With Quote #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russianeer View Post
If you are really serious about reselling quality VPS's for game-servers, don't use Virpus. They have the worst possible network for gaming. I know because I've had numerous virtual servers with them, and I host a site on one too.
I don't really want to argue, but how long ago did you try to host a game server at Virpus?
Old 11-13-2011 , 21:25   Re: Game server provider - reviews
Reply With Quote #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. McKay View Post
I don't really want to argue, but how long ago did you try to host a game server at Virpus?
I never hosted a game server with Virpus because I wouldn't do that. I tested their network roughly a month ago though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larsen View Post
Russianeer, I will have to post the email I got from NFO going over the linux vs windows thing. Maybe I wasn't configuring the right server on the website, but there was definitely an option for linux and it was +$30, perhaps that was a VPS vs a VDS - which I'm not sure I understand the difference, I guess the number of cores is the difference?
There is no difference between a VPS and VDS, it's just how they name it. VDS stands for virtual dedicated server.

The +$30 fee that you were looking at was most likely for the dedicated servers, there is none for virtual private servers.
Dr. McKay
Sir Dr. SourceMod Plugin Approver Esq. Ltd. M.D. PhD
Old 11-13-2011 , 21:33   Re: Game server provider - reviews
Reply With Quote #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russianeer View Post
I never hosted a game server with Virpus because I wouldn't do that. I tested their network roughly a month ago though.
Well, just over a month ago they got the ability to sell Xen VPS's, I'm going to guess that you probably used OpenVZ. OpenVZ is okay for web servers (my web server works fine), but Xen is the only way to host a game server or anything more intensive than web hosting.

I've had a great experience with them so far, I'm not sure what's going on with everyone else...
Old 11-13-2011 , 21:51   Re: Game server provider - reviews
Reply With Quote #36

http://sleekservers.com

Been using them for a while. Awesome prices/Support.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larsen View Post
Anyone with experience with ultimate game servers? We're looking for reviews. We're taking moving very very seriously.
Before sleek I was with those guy's for about 6 months. Their customer support is terrible if not non-existent.

And fucked my bill up 3 times. Stay away from UGS.

Last edited by wyn10; 11-13-2011 at 21:55.
Jstn7477
Old 11-13-2011 , 23:39   Re: Game server provider - reviews
Reply With Quote #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocwoody View Post
How many servers do you run on each VDS?
And how many slots per server?
All TF2 servers listed below run Replay and about 40 SM plugins each.

3 core managed Windows: 1 32 slot TF2, 3 24 slot TF2, 2 6 slot Killing Floor (116 slots total)
2 core managed Windows: 2 24 slot TF2 + 1 6 slot KF (54 slots)
1 core unmanaged Windows: 24 slot TF2 + webserver. (24 slots)

I think the 3 core is probably using a Sandy Bridge processor because I'm only limited by RAM and the CPU barely flinches. My 2 core runs 50-60% CPU when full and is also RAM limited.

If you're going with a standard VPS from a regular webhosting company, make sure to:
1) READ THE TERMS OF SERVICE! Many companies don't allow game servers at all.
2) Make sure it is using Xen, and that you are getting enough guaranteed RAM. OpenVZ is shit, and make sure you're getting a dedicated core as well, because being given "1.6GHz" of a CPU means you are sharing a core with someone and their processes can stall out the core's pipeline and make your server run like ass.
AlliedModders Donor
Old 11-14-2011 , 00:48   Re: Game server provider - reviews
Reply With Quote #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jstn7477 View Post
All TF2 servers listed below run Replay and about 40 SM plugins each.

3 core managed Windows: 1 32 slot TF2, 3 24 slot TF2, 2 6 slot Killing Floor (116 slots total)
2 core managed Windows: 2 24 slot TF2 + 1 6 slot KF (54 slots)
1 core unmanaged Windows: 24 slot TF2 + webserver. (24 slots)

I think the 3 core is probably using a Sandy Bridge processor because I'm only limited by RAM and the CPU barely flinches. My 2 core runs 50-60% CPU when full and is also RAM limited.
Thanks!
asherkin
SourceMod Developer
Old 11-14-2011 , 01:35   Re: Game server provider - reviews
Reply With Quote #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by Powerlord View Post
Now if only someone would explain to me why Linux extension binaries are larger than Windows extension binaries...
Because more stuff is static-linked due to distro differences. Among other things.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8088 View Post
I don't make these (simple) rules, go ask a mod about exceptions. You seem not to realise that this thread is about reviews of established host and that nobody asked you to advertise your reseller services.
I'd say it's a reasonable exception, Larsen asked where people hosted game servers, since Dr. McKay is hosting game servers on Virpus, it's fine.
Old 11-14-2011 , 01:55   Re: Game server provider - reviews
Reply With Quote #40

If you want cheap, this one:

www.envision-host.com
For a limited time only, Envision-Host.com decided to offer you great servers with FREE Unlimited Web Hosting Account, FREE Source Bans Hosting & FREE Fast Download for as low as $0.65 USD / Slot! Visit our website to order your server! For more information, add: uhrussian to your steam friends!

I know the guy, he is willing to help with any problems that may occur.

here are my ratings:
Price: 10/10
Reliability: 7/10 - not much DDOS support.
Lag: 9/10 - i haven't experienced much when i was with them.
Support: 8/10

I don't care what people say just trying to help this guy out.

Last edited by Sepehr; 11-14-2011 at 01:58.
Send a message via MSN to Sepehr