Raised This Month: $ Target: $400
 0% 

Tickrate enabler doesn't work after update.

Post New Thread Reply   

Mister_Magotchi
SourceMod Donor
Old 11-04-2011 , 19:18   Re: Tickrate enabler doesn't work after update.
Reply With Quote #21

I do actually use Didrole's Tickrate_Enabler on a Linux Counter-Strike: Source server, and the company I rent that server from has the "-tickrate 100" set on all their Source engine servers. That option only does anything when a plugin is installed that re-enables it, so for most servers, the option does nothing. It does work, there are certainly in-game differences between 66 and 100 tick on my server, and players are able to send and receive 100 updates per second. Whether or not there is actually a difference in hit-registration I can't objectively verify, but I believe there should be just due to the fact that the server processes 50% more snapshots per second, although any benefit I feel could admittedly be placebo.

Last edited by Mister_Magotchi; 11-04-2011 at 19:19.
Larsen
Old 11-05-2011 , 01:24   Re: Tickrate enabler doesn't work after update.
Reply With Quote #22

Thank you for the thoughtful resonse Mr. Magotchi.

I realize this whole 100-tic rate thing is taboo for OB engine servers for some reason, but from what I garner (please correct me if I'm wrong), it seems most of the negativity spewed for anyone running a 100-tic is because people try to accomodate the lower end clients/lower end servers that maybe cannot handle it. I do not know if ours can or not until we try it, so that's why I'm optimistic. I know the game itself is old as crap (2004) so I would imagine perhaps less strain than L4D2 and TF2 servers...we're currently at 50% strain on the CPU for 32/32.

My gameserver provider has the addon button to install 100-tic workaround, I imagine it's this enabler itself? They refuse to tell me what it is exactly, but if I understand you correctly, the bin/dll files will simply reallow the -100 tic parameter to reenable.

Considering I jumped on this server as tech only recently, and did not build it from scratch, it occurred to me we pay for 100-tic but we're only getting 66-tic rate service. This seems asinine/waste of money to me, as I said, I'm fairly new to server running. I'd simply like to entertain the idea of the workaround before I downgrade the subscription to 66 tic.

Please chime in if I'm wrong on anything - I am here to learn.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister_Magotchi View Post
I do actually use Didrole's Tickrate_Enabler on a Linux Counter-Strike: Source server, and the company I rent that server from has the "-tickrate 100" set on all their Source engine servers. That option only does anything when a plugin is installed that re-enables it, so for most servers, the option does nothing. It does work, there are certainly in-game differences between 66 and 100 tick on my server, and players are able to send and receive 100 updates per second. Whether or not there is actually a difference in hit-registration I can't objectively verify, but I believe there should be just due to the fact that the server processes 50% more snapshots per second, although any benefit I feel could admittedly be placebo.

Mister_Magotchi
SourceMod Donor
Old 11-05-2011 , 01:35   Re: Tickrate enabler doesn't work after update.
Reply With Quote #23

As you say, 100 tick is highly controversial, but until I see either Valve say it makes hit registration worse (or not better) or I see some objective test for determining that, I'm going to keep using it.

If you enable that option from your provider, to see if it's this plugin, just type plugin_print at the console or from RCon, and you'll see all loaded server plugins (like Metamod: Source and Didrole's Tickrate_Enabler).
Larsen
Old 11-05-2011 , 04:08   Re: Tickrate enabler doesn't work after update.
Reply With Quote #24

Thank you sir. Would I need to restart server after sticking the three files on the FTP or is a mapchange good enough?

Mister_Magotchi
SourceMod Donor
Old 11-05-2011 , 05:06   Re: Tickrate enabler doesn't work after update.
Reply With Quote #25

Since the plugin enabled the "-tickrate" commandline option, my assumption is that you can't just load it on the fly (which would require more than a map change), and a restart is a safe bet.
Larsen
Old 11-08-2011 , 00:25   Re: Tickrate enabler doesn't work after update.
Reply With Quote #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quai1Ooth5d View Post
yes it does, or atleast the one i got does. i got mine off the steam forums when they release moved css to the OB. i would zip it up and upload it here but i don't think the sourcemod ppl will allow that since i didn't get it here.

I believe that's the one linked to on didrole's website. 0.2 correct?