Raised This Month: $ Target: $400
 0% 

Fast DL Problem.

Post New Thread Reply   

Britshi
Old 04-19-2011 , 09:08   Fast DL Problem.
Reply With Quote #1

Hello,
I was wondering whether anyone could help me here with my fast download server? It seems that it doesn't seem to be working properly with people having to sit through massive download times.
Here's my configuration.

Blanked out spaces indicate domain name.

[IMG]http://img696.**************/img696/8397/serverh.png[/IMG]

The top section is the current laid out directory, the second section is the contents of the "maps" folder, the third section are all my configurations in the "server.cfg".

What have I done wrong?

Note: When I use full .bsp files in the fast download it appears to be working. But it doesn't solve the problem much when some maps are too big to be tolerable.

Thanks in advance to anyone who reads this.
FrozenHaxor
Old 04-19-2011 , 15:17   Re: Fast DL Problem.
Reply With Quote #2

Your host may simply suck at transfer speed.
Old 04-19-2011 , 21:24   Re: Fast DL Problem.
Reply With Quote #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrozenHaxor View Post
Your host may simply suck at transfer speed.

Most likely the case. Also if you have files on the download server that arent b2zipped delete them they shouldn't be there.

Read #4

Mister_Magotchi
SourceMod Donor
Old 04-19-2011 , 21:50   Re: Fast DL Problem.
Reply With Quote #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by sinblaster View Post
Also if you have files on the download server that arent b2zipped delete them they shouldn't be there.
This isn't totally true. In his case, if he deleted the two non-bzip2'd files, they wouldn't be available at all, since they're the only copies listed. Ideally you would bzip2 everything, and you certainly only need one or the other of each file (compressed or not compressed).

My guess is that there is something wrong with the bzip2 format you're using. I've noticed that some Linux tools have had issues with bzip2 compressed files that I've created with 7-Zip. Make sure you're creating the files with a true version of bzip2. It's pretty easy to find windows bzip2 binaries on Google.

However, I highly recommend a tool called SourceRSC. Once you set it up, it automatically synchronizes and bzip2's all the extra files from the game server FTP to the web redirect FTP (or you can just have it work locally).

Last edited by Mister_Magotchi; 04-19-2011 at 21:55.
meecrob
Old 04-19-2011 , 22:28   Re: Fast DL Problem.
Reply With Quote #5

A few times that I have had this issue, I simply delete the file on the fastdl and create a new bz2 file from the map file which the server is using. I've noticed that sometimes the fastdl will not work with bz2 files created from map found in your Steam directory. It doesn't make any sense, but you can try it.
Old 04-20-2011 , 12:06   Re: Fast DL Problem.
Reply With Quote #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister_Magotchi View Post
This isn't totally true. In his case, if he deleted the two non-bzip2'd files, they wouldn't be available at all, since they're the only copies listed. Ideally you would bzip2 everything, and you certainly only need one or the other of each file (compressed or not compressed).

My guess is that there is something wrong with the bzip2 format you're using. I've noticed that some Linux tools have had issues with bzip2 compressed files that I've created with 7-Zip. Make sure you're creating the files with a true version of bzip2. It's pretty easy to find windows bzip2 binaries on Google.

However, I highly recommend a tool called SourceRSC. Once you set it up, it automatically synchronizes and bzip2's all the extra files from the game server FTP to the web redirect FTP (or you can just have it work locally).
This seems like the best option. I too think the .bz2 fiules haven't compressed properly, so the server doesn't notice a match up and has clients downloading from the actual game server files which takes much longer.

This would explain why .bsp files worked fine on the fast download server.

I now have to swallow my pride and ask... Is there a simple tutorial on how to set this up? I can't understand the entirety of the readme that comes in the zip.

Before I'm scolded... I do have a general idea as to what it wants me to put in the ini file, but I'd much -MUCH- rather have some sort of tutorial which is in "Plain" English.

(Literally something like: FTP server number goes here... It's that number you use to connect to your server through file zilla, should be similar to an IP address and bare a similar country code to where its based).

Believe me... many a day goes by when I regret not knowing this stuff. I do have a somewhat basic knowledge in computer programming for servers, but now I've gotten to a point where I need a bunch of extras to go on top of that server to make it better... things I can't currently understand. *Sad face*
Mister_Magotchi
SourceMod Donor
Old 04-20-2011 , 14:33   Re: Fast DL Problem.
Reply With Quote #7

1. Run SourceRSC.exe . Close it.
  2. Open sourcersc.ini in a text editor.
  3. Each section in this file has instructions in comment form (lines that start with "//"), the section name (in square brackets), and then the actual setting on its own line. Edit it to your liking.
  4. Run SourceRSC.exe and let it do its thing.

Here is a copy of what's in one of my SourceRSC files, with the hostnames and login info changed:
Code:
//Tell csrsc what mod it's working with (CSS, HL2DM, DODS, TF2, L4D, GMOD)
//If using a custom RSC file for a mod, enter the name of the RSC file minus the .rsc
[GameMod]
CSS

//Gameserver query mode (FTP or Local)
[GSQryMode]
FTP

//Redirect query mode (FTP or Local)
[RedirQryMode]
FTP

//Enter the path to the gamemod if querying gameserver via local mode
[ServerPath]
c:\hl2server\cstrike

//Enter the root path to the redirect if querying redirect via local mode
[RedirectPath]
c:\hl2server\redir

//If querying game server via FTP, where should CSRSC save compressed downloaded files to
//Leaving this as-is is fine.
[CompressPath]
.\bzd

//Delete the CompressPath folder when done
[RmCPath]
True

//-----The following ftp server info is used to connect to the Gameserver-----
//This section is only needed if querying gameserver via FTP
//FQDN or IP of your FTP Server
[FTPSrvr]
gameserver.example.com

//FTP Server Port (Def 21)
[FTPPort]

//FTP Username
[FTPUser]
gameserver_username

//FTP Password
[FTPPass]
sd234089dfg23sd

//The root folder of your game mod, must be prefixed with /  ie. /cstrike.  Leave blank for root
[FTPPath]
/cstrike

//Use passive mode?  Try toggling this if you are having problems connecting to the server (True/False)
[FTPPasv]
True

//Skipmisc:  Automatically skip the logs, downloads, and addonds folder on the game server--speeds things up a bit (True/False)
[FTPSkipMisc]
True

//-----The following ftp server info is used to connect to the Redirect-----
//This section is only needed if querying redirect via ftp
//Redirect:  FQDN or IP of your FTP Server
//Looking for a good deal on a redirect--checkout www.urldownload.com--prices start at $5/mo
[Redir-FTPSrvr]
webserver.example.com

//Redirect:  FTP Server Port (Def 21)
[Redir-FTPPort]

//Redirect:  FTP Username
[Redir-FTPUser]
webserver_username

//Redirect:  FTP Password
[Redir-FTPPass]
sdafasd908u235423

//The root folder of your redirect, must be prefixed with /  ie. /redir.  Leave blank for root
[Redir-FTPPath]
/public/server

//Redirect:  Use passive mode?  Try toggling this if you are having problems connecting to the server (True/False)
[Redir-FTPPasv]
True

//Redirect:  Automatically upload new compressed files to the redirect? (True/False)
[Redir-Upload]
True

//Debug:  Be very verbose? (True/False)
[Debug]
False

//Autoupdate:  Automatically check for updated basefiles(True/False)
[AutoUpdate]
True

//Delete files on the redirect that aren't on the server? (Off, Report, or Delete)
//Off==feature disabled
//report==will report files on the redirect that aren't on the game server
//delete==same as report but will automatically delete them (ensure everything is working correctly before setting to this)
[RedirectCleaner]

Don't process the addons folder of game server when using local mode.  USE [ftpskipmisc] if using ftp.  (True/False)
[SkipAddons]
True
You can copy that entire file, probably change only the FTPSrvr, FTPUser, FTPPass, maybe the FTPPath, Redir-FTPSrvr, Redir-FTPUser, Redir-FTPPass, and Redir-FTPPath, and be good. If you have any questions on specific settings, just ask.

When you are sure it's working, you'll likely want to change RedirectCleaner from "Report" to "Delete" so that there aren't extra files on the web redirect that aren't on the game server.
sinblaster
Grim Reaper
Old 04-20-2011 , 16:20   Re: Fast DL Problem.
Reply With Quote #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister_Magotchi View Post
This isn't totally true. In his case, if he deleted the two non-bzip2'd files, they wouldn't be available at all, since they're the only copies listed. Ideally you would bzip2 everything
I took that as being obvious, if he wants a file on FDL he must have it as bz2. I assumed he would replace it. I posted him a link that has info that should work properly, the software recommended on that link has been used by me and others to zip files for FDL on many servers including linux. /

It's simple in theory and practice, if a no brain like me can do it ... just mimic the server files you want to fdl as bz2 files on your web server with the same folder structure.

Quote:
  1. Run SourceRSC.exe . Close it.
  2. Open sourcersc.ini in a text editor.
  3. Each section in this file has instructions in comment form (lines that start with "//"), the section name (in square brackets), and then the actual setting on its own line. Edit it to your liking.
  4. Run SourceRSC.exe and let it do its thing.
I'll have to try this one day.

Mister_Magotchi
SourceMod Donor
Old 04-20-2011 , 16:36   Re: Fast DL Problem.
Reply With Quote #9

That SourceRSC is pretty great. I've been using his tool for many years (used to be called CSRSC). It simplifies things pretty dramatically.

I hadn't noticed your link to the other instructions since it just said "Read #4", so I didn't realize it pointed to another thread. I wasn't trying to put you in your place or anything, but I just had noticed that he had a couple non-bzipped files in the screenshot, so I didn't want him to delete them without replacing them.
Britshi
Old 04-20-2011 , 16:49   Re: Fast DL Problem.
Reply With Quote #10

Edit:
To quickly respond to this question floating around... the reasons why there's one .bsp on the fast download is because it seemed that .bsps were the only thing that worked (after testing) and that that map is SO small anyway it really doesn't need to be compressed.

How's this?

Code:
//Tell csrsc what mod it's working with (CSS, HL2DM, DODS, TF2, L4D, GMOD)
//If using a custom RSC file for a mod, enter the name of the RSC file minus the .rsc
[GameMod]
TF2

//Gameserver query mode (FTP or Local)
[GSQryMode]
FTP

//Redirect query mode (FTP or Local)
[RedirQryMode]
FTP

//Enter the path to the gamemod if querying gameserver via local mode
[ServerPath]
c:\hl2server\cstrike (I was quite unsure about these...)

//Enter the root path to the redirect if querying redirect via local mode
[RedirectPath]
c:\hl2server\redir (This one too)

//If querying game server via FTP, where should CSRSC save compressed downloaded files to
//Leaving this as-is is fine.
[CompressPath]
.\bzd (Do I need to change this too?)

//Delete the CompressPath folder when done
[RmCPath]
True

//-----The following ftp server info is used to connect to the Gameserver-----
//This section is only needed if querying gameserver via FTP
//FQDN or IP of your FTP Server
[FTPSrvr]
>>>The ip of my server went here (with port number on the end (21))<<<

//FTP Server Port (Def 21)
[FTPPort]

//FTP Username
[FTPUser]
>>>The username to change settings on my server went here<<<

//FTP Password
[FTPPass]
>>>Password for that username<<<

//The root folder of your game mod, must be prefixed with /  ie. /cstrike.  Leave blank for root
[FTPPath]
/tf

//Use passive mode?  Try toggling this if you are having problems connecting to the server (True/False)
[FTPPasv]
True

//Skipmisc:  Automatically skip the logs, downloads, and addonds folder on the game server--speeds things up a bit (True/False)
[FTPSkipMisc]
True

//-----The following ftp server info is used to connect to the Redirect-----
//This section is only needed if querying redirect via ftp
//Redirect:  FQDN or IP of your FTP Server
//Looking for a good deal on a redirect--checkout www.urldownload.com--prices start at $5/mo
[Redir-FTPSrvr]
>>>The FTP address to my fast download server went here ([username].lowpings.com)<<<

//Redirect:  FTP Server Port (Def 21)
[Redir-FTPPort]

//Redirect:  FTP Username
[Redir-FTPUser]
>>>The username for the fast download server went here<<<

//Redirect:  FTP Password
[Redir-FTPPass]
>>>Password for that username<<<

//The root folder of your redirect, must be prefixed with /  ie. /redir.  Leave blank for root
[Redir-FTPPath]
/[username]/tf/maps/

//Redirect:  Use passive mode?  Try toggling this if you are having problems connecting to the server (True/False)
[Redir-FTPPasv]
True

//Redirect:  Automatically upload new compressed files to the redirect? (True/False)
[Redir-Upload]
True

//Debug:  Be very verbose? (True/False)
[Debug]
False

//Autoupdate:  Automatically check for updated basefiles(True/False)
[AutoUpdate]
True

//Delete files on the redirect that aren't on the server? (Off, Report, or Delete)
//Off==feature disabled
//report==will report files on the redirect that aren't on the game server
//delete==same as report but will automatically delete them (ensure everything is working correctly before setting to this)
[RedirectCleaner]

Don't process the addons folder of game server when using local mode.  USE [ftpskipmisc] if using ftp.  (True/False)
[SkipAddons]
True
What do I need to put in the bits I'm unsure about?
Is there anything I've missed or I still need to do?

Thanks for all your help by the way.

Questions: Is this running on the server the whole time? Or I start this every time I want my .bsps compressed?

Before I start this shall I delete the .bz2s on the fast download server?

Once again... THANK YOU SO MUCH!

Last edited by Britshi; 04-20-2011 at 16:52.