Raised This Month: $ Target: $400
 0% 

Server is very laggy !

Post New Thread Reply   

raigen
Old 08-12-2005 , 00:44   Server is very laggy !
Reply With Quote #1

CPU: AMD Athlon 2200+
RAM: 768mb DDR
Connection: ADSL [3000mbps downstream, 691kbps upstream ]
AMXX: 1.50
Steam: v1.6
Running: Counterstrike dedicated server [capped at 12 slots ]

Rates set at:

Quote:
sv_maxrate 6000

sv_minrate 0

sv_maxupdaterate 22
I'm currently using these rates for my server and it is lagging alot even when 2 or more people. The server also goes through huge lag spikes ( 20ms to 800ms ) I know it is not my connection. I already tested it and it is fine. Are these the recommended rates that I should be using for my configuration? Any suggestions?
huginen
Old 08-12-2005 , 04:55   Re: Server is very laggy !
Reply With Quote #2

Try running endless loops of clock.avi in Windows media player (the old version is lighter) C:\Program Files\Windows Media Player\mplayer2.exe

This will change the windows CPU timer resolution which makes your server have more fps.
Old 08-12-2005 , 14:18  
Reply With Quote #3

It would seriously be better if you could get a p2 400 mhz box and use that as your server. The HL engine along with many other games based on the Q3 engine have a processor / memory leak when a person is playing on the same box they're running their server on.
Veteran Member
Old 08-14-2005 , 07:28  
Reply With Quote #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawk552
It would seriously be better if you could get a p2 400 mhz box and use that as your server. The HL engine along with many other games based on the Q3 engine have a processor / memory leak when a person is playing on the same box they're running their server on.
correct and as long as u are playing on the same pc it will lag regardless
theres a few tweaks u can do to eaz up on cpu usage and maybe lag...
but your better off with a shit box to run the server on a 400mhz pc as said above

sys_ticrate 0 and "msn mesenger" running in background will do the same for a dedicated server as a loop or paused movie...

i would love to tweak up your pc and just "maybe" make it run a "little" better but m8 face it its a waist of bloody time and a mindjob without equal
DruMMinStUd06
Old 08-23-2005 , 11:28  
Reply With Quote #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deagle
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawk552
correct and as long as u are playing on the same pc it will lag regardless
theres a few tweaks u can do to eaz up on cpu usage and maybe lag...
but your better off with a shit box to run the server on a 400mhz pc as said above

sys_ticrate 0 and "msn mesenger" running in background will do the same for a dedicated server as a loop or paused movie...

i would love to tweak up your pc and just "maybe" make it run a "little" better but m8 face it its a waist of bloody time and a mindjob without equal
what kinda tweaks we talkin about here?
Hawk552
AMX Mod X Moderator
Old 08-23-2005 , 12:30  
Reply With Quote #6

http://lagg-free.tk
AMX_Super Pooper
Old 08-23-2005 , 14:43  
Reply With Quote #7

Thats a great site hawk and try this one too, to help with ur min max an updaterate Here
Old 08-24-2005 , 01:00  
Reply With Quote #8

You can rent a 12 slot server for so cheap it's ridiculous. In fact, if you can't afford to rent a game server, or a server and put the game on it yourself, you shouldn't have a server. Nobody is going to play some garbage server that is running on someone's DSL modem, sorry.
Old 08-24-2005 , 01:53  
Reply With Quote #9

I have DLS and no lagg untill u get 18 peopel in it. I would always have a server as long as i have my other comoputer, no way i wouldnt, DSL works for some people if u know what ur doing. Its never gonna be totally professional, u gatta have free servers, i mean come on its FREE! for complete adminship and offering adminship, why would u not?!
Old 08-24-2005 , 03:35  
Reply With Quote #10

Well I am overexaggerating here guys, of course you can run a server from home, and some are ok. I'm really talking to the people who have 1 computer and want to be cool and have their own server, and play on it at the same time. It doesn't work for shit, and these are also the same people who insist on running too many plugins. More plugins doesn't make your server a "fun server."

No matter how you run your server from home, unless you have some crazy connection, in which case you could afford to rent a server anyway, you won't compete with a real server. I will put my CZ server up against any CZ server that is run from someone's home on a regular connection for any amount of money.