Raised This Month: $ Target: $400
 0% 

Bloodlines!

Post New Thread Reply   

iamseph
Old 01-10-2011 , 12:26   Bloodlines!
Reply With Quote #1

Does anyone know if it's possible to get metamod/sourcemod to work with Vampire: The Masquerade Bloodlines? It's based on a (probably rather old) version of the source engine, and it would be so f'ing cool if that old broken game could be polished up to be what it should be.
That might even be enough for me to learn to do plug-ins myself.
Send a message via Yahoo to iamseph
psychonic

BAFFLED
Old 01-10-2011 , 12:27   Re: Bloodlines!
Reply With Quote #2

File a bug, but don't expect anything for a single-player game.

Last edited by psychonic; 01-10-2011 at 12:39.
FaTony
Veteran Member
Old 01-10-2011 , 12:28   Re: Bloodlines!
Reply With Quote #3

Does it have multiplayer?
Old 01-10-2011 , 12:49   Re: Bloodlines!
Reply With Quote #4

Some people have managed to make the game start a multiplayer match and take connections, but the game isn't made for it, you can't hurt each other and the game crashes if you jump.

There are no game-breaking bugs in single player, but there are definitely some things that players would love to see that the unofficial patch (currently on version 6.something I think) simply can't do. One major example is the hand grenade, which doesn't exist in the original game but can be added with difficulty, but still doesn't work properly (weird as hell grenade physics, ammo used incorrectly, and probably more I can't remember right now). Another is that disciplines are forcefully ended during cutscenes and dialog, so something that fixes that would be very welcome.
Other things include missing discipline timers, clumsy hand to hand combat code, limited status effects (if you apply too many disciplines/items that affect stats they stop being added correctly)... and probably many others that I can't think of right now.
asherkin
SourceMod Developer
Old 01-10-2011 , 12:55   Re: Bloodlines!
Reply With Quote #5

I highly doubt SourcePawn plugins could fix most of those issues.

BAFFLED
Old 01-10-2011 , 12:58   Re: Bloodlines!
Reply With Quote #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamseph View Post
Some people have managed to make the game start a multiplayer match and take connections, but the game isn't made for it, you can't hurt each other and the game crashes if you jump.

There are no game-breaking bugs in single player, but there are definitely some things that players would love to see that the unofficial patch (currently on version 6.something I think) simply can't do. One major example is the hand grenade, which doesn't exist in the original game but can be added with difficulty, but still doesn't work properly (weird as hell grenade physics, ammo used incorrectly, and probably more I can't remember right now). Another is that disciplines are forcefully ended during cutscenes and dialog, so something that fixes that would be very welcome.
Other things include missing discipline timers, clumsy hand to hand combat code, limited status effects (if you apply too many disciplines/items that affect stats they stop being added correctly)... and probably many others that I can't think of right now.
While you might be able to fix some of the multiplayer issues with plugins, having unofficial patches being released (if they're also to the binaries) is possibly going to break plugin support on a game that it would already be difficult to add it to. Adding SM support is one thing, having to continually update it for a low-popularity game is another.

This is also not to mention that you would have to deal with different people running different patched versions.

Last edited by psychonic; 01-10-2011 at 13:01.
iamseph
Old 01-10-2011 , 13:10   Re: Bloodlines!
Reply With Quote #7

No they're purely modifications to the maps, scripts and config files - no-one has managed to do anything with the binaries that I know of.
psychonic

BAFFLED
Old 01-10-2011 , 13:16   Re: Bloodlines!
Reply With Quote #8

Quote:
no-one has managed to do anything with the binaries that I know of.
From the unofficial 7.2 patch changelog:
Quote:
Patched engine.dll and shaderapidx9.dll files are included to repair
refresh-rate, lights-through-walls, no-coronas and bad-textures-with
-more-than-2-GB-memory bugs, also the downloadable vampire.dll file.
iamseph
Old 01-10-2011 , 13:24   Re: Bloodlines!
Reply With Quote #9

that I knew of

I'll come back one day if/when they decide on a final, never-to-be-changed-again binary for a final patch.

Last edited by iamseph; 01-10-2011 at 13:29.
psychonic

BAFFLED
Old 01-10-2011 , 13:43   Re: Bloodlines!
Reply With Quote #10

Quote:
that I knew of

I'll come back one day if/when they decide on a final, never-to-be-changed-again binary for a final patch.
Feel free to file a bug now or then (I can guarantee it won't happen without that first step), just don't expect anything.

Aside from the factors above, it's a time-consuming, possibly difficult process with little/no reward for a $20 game that likely non of the devs already own (I know I don't have it).

Last edited by psychonic; 01-10-2011 at 13:58.