Raised This Month: $ Target: $400
 0% 

Plugin Copying Policy

Post New Thread Reply   

Mortiegama
Old 04-30-2010 , 08:31   Plugin Copying Policy
Reply With Quote #1

I'm trying to create a universal Infected plugin and people have been requesting new abilities. There's a lot of good stuff out there, and people have also requested that I turn several plugins into just my one plugin.

What exactly is the policy on this? I know we MUST give credit for anything that we might use from other people but I'm not sure what the stance is on breaking other plugins down and putting them into a universal one that I create.
Old 04-30-2010 , 11:11   Re: Plugin Copying Policy
Reply With Quote #2

Everything written for sourcemod is GPL (can never remember if it's v2 or v3), so you can use the code from other people's work so long as you give credit to them for writing the code, and so long as you continue to distribute the code with the plugin when you make your plugin available.

The only drawback to 'copying' someone else's plugin is when it comes time to get your plugin approved here. So long as your plugin adds significant changes/features and you give proper credit, you shouldn't have a problem getting the plugin approved (I think).

I suppose an approver could give you a better answer.

Now, from my standpoint... I tend to prefer that a plugin serves a specific purpose, and doesn't delve into multiple areas (I prefer modularity). If the person whose code you used in your plugin updates his/her plugin, does that mean you have to merge the changes to your plugin? If their plugin improves vastly for the function that their plugin provides, then if your plugin does not improve, a person can't use just part of your plugin along with their plugin, so the person has to choose between the other features yours provides, or the superior handling of the features that the other plugin provides. Generally running two plugins that do the same thing will cause you unexpected problems.
http://www.brothersofchaos.com/

Last edited by InflatableSoulmate; 04-30-2010 at 11:16.