Raised This Month: $ Target: $400
 0% 

[TF2] Anti-Soldier Gunboats Plugin

Post New Thread Reply   

JimsD
Old 12-18-2009 , 05:05   [TF2] Anti-Soldier Gunboats Plugin
Reply With Quote #1

I wonder if someone could make a plugin that restricts the soldier from using the GunBoats secondary weapon and have it wearable for demos via a command line? It should disable the demos primary or melee weapon in favor of Gunboats.

If anybody is butthurt by this idea, then consider having a option for either demo use only or for both classes.

Last edited by JimsD; 12-18-2009 at 23:00.
noodleboy347
AlliedModders Donor
Old 12-19-2009 , 02:08   Re: [TF2] Anti-Soldier Gunboats Plugin
Reply With Quote #2

You can disable it, but you can't give it to Demomen.
JimsD
Old 12-19-2009 , 22:51   Re: [TF2] Anti-Soldier Gunboats Plugin
Reply With Quote #3

Then what about a plugin that gives the Demo 75% damage resistance to his grenades but disables a weapon like the primary Grenade Launcher?
KnowledgeJunkie
Old 12-20-2009 , 14:55   Re: [TF2] Anti-Soldier Gunboats Plugin
Reply With Quote #4

Well I, for one, would like to know why you need such a plugin- and I'm guessing that if your reasoning was good it would be easier to get a plugin creator behind this. It seems to me that the chargin targe is similar enough to the gunboats to have to have a very specific reasoning behind this request.
noodleboy347
AlliedModders Donor
Old 12-20-2009 , 16:10   Re: [TF2] Anti-Soldier Gunboats Plugin
Reply With Quote #5

I think there's a hidden cvar for the Demoman that changes the self damage scale, and then you could just disable the Grenade Launcher with a plugin.
JimsD
Old 12-20-2009 , 22:06   Re: [TF2] Anti-Soldier Gunboats Plugin
Reply With Quote #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by KnowledgeJunkie View Post
Well I, for one, would like to know why you need such a plugin- and I'm guessing that if your reasoning was good it would be easier to get a plugin creator behind this. It seems to me that the chargin targe is similar enough to the gunboats to have to have a very specific reasoning behind this request.
Originally, it was in response to the winning of the Soldier class in the recent "War". I personally called BS on it and still do, but only because I'm biased because I never play Soldier in the first place. In fact, it was my least favorite classes in the game since the usual (if only) strategy to me and most people is "Hur Dur, shoot at feet" or shoot into a crowd from a distance which makes him a little too simplistic and boring. The unlocks at least make him have more purpose in the game.

After thinking about it for a while, I figured that it would be a good mod to enable since it can be switched for one class or another, switched on for both or disable it for both altogether. After talking about it with other people, basically them calling me a Demo elitist and trying to start a flame war, many people have said they would rather have both enabled, thereby negating this feud altogether.

It also makes sense in a way to give it out to one or another. The Soldier can just rocket jump many times and shoot down the 3 remaining rockets onto a crowd or use as a faster shortcut to get to certain areas, a okay trade off for the shotgun\bugle. Same thing with the Demo. You can trade off the Grenade Launcher or the melee weapons since you really need Sticky Launcher to make the boots effective. You can say, "He'll just have the Targe." A class with a melee weapon only? Only the insane or insanely good would try that. The Scottish Resistance is also a little spotty because you have to be looking at the bombs in order to explode, so you have to run backwards or look straight down to explode.

It also makes a lot more sense for the Demo to have them because he can actually jump and fly farther then the Soldier ever can, downside is that he'll be near dead when he crash lands on the other side of the map, almost making it useless except for traveling large parts of maps when there's no teleporter. With the GunBoats on Demo, he can fly long distances and not have to worry about damage as much.

So really, what can we lose by not having both classes have them? At least it would make for a good "What If?" with this plugin.

Unfortunately, I don't know how to make plugins and I don't have my own server to install on. Getting a server is simple but running mods on it would be a very new thing to me.