View Single Post
MPNumB
Veteran Member
Old 04-03-2011 , 08:32   Re: Team Grenade Trail
Reply With Quote #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by ConnorMcLeod View Post
You are right, but in those cases, reliable msgs would have made clients to be disconnected in some situations (i don't know which ones exactly), so i think that for such visual effects, it's not a problem if players don't see them and it's still better than being disconnected.

About get_players, you would still save some is_user_connected native calls and you could also filter bots and hltvs.
About MSG types one I must disagree. For example my HotVision plugin used to have MSG_ONE_UNRELIABLE and radar updates were random... Now by default it uses MSG_ONE and radar always gets updated, and no crash reports afaik. If I would use get_players() I would still have to filter team outside of it. Plus grenades aren't thrown every frame, so I think it's at least is acceptable that I filter alive and connected manually. If get_players() would have fixed team, than I would agree with you that it would be logical to use get_players() instead of making all filters myself. And just a little note, hltv shouldn't be filtered out if main cvar of my plugin is set to 2.

Being honest my loop method doesn't add an extra massive CPU load - it's simple, doesn't take much power, plus event isn't called that often anyway. =P

In fact if you'd insist on it, I'd simply use Bit system and when user connects/disconnects would get is it hltv or bot, and set connected/disconnected status. I just don't trust find get_players() as being an efficient method of filtering if you are using various modules.
* HotVision
___
Need help? Please check this documentation first.
Send a message via Skype™ to MPNumB