AlliedModders

AlliedModders (https://forums.alliedmods.net/index.php)
-   Scripting Help (https://forums.alliedmods.net/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   Changing texture? (https://forums.alliedmods.net/showthread.php?t=27080)

Des12 04-14-2006 13:57

Changing texture?

Is it possible to change the texture of a wall or door? Or is it integrated with the model?

pope 04-14-2006 15:45

I could be wrong, but I believe doors are tied to a brush, and most walls are brushed based too..
As for func_wall, the texture is tied to the model, you'd have to use hl model viewer to replace the texture.

diamond-optic 04-14-2006 19:55

func_wall is still a brush and still has its own texture from a wad file... models themselves are what you'd see in hlmv...

as far as I know.. theres no way to change the actual texture used, you *might* be able to edit the textures listed in the bsp file, but that would require a download becuase textures are loaded out of the client side bsp..

also changing a model texture thru hlmv, the client would have to download the new model to be able to see the texture..

GHW_Chronic 04-14-2006 20:12

end answer, no. This is not possible.

Des12 04-15-2006 14:47

It would be possible to create a wall with your texture covering up the defualt one, right?

GHW_Chronic 04-15-2006 15:40

you can create a wall with your model, you cannot make textured entities after the map has loaded. You ever heard of "crashing" half-life? That's what it'll do.

diamond-optic 04-15-2006 18:06

ya it would have to be a model to be placed over the wall and have just a little more thickness to it to cover it.. but then you'd need a diff model for each diff part of the wall or whatever... and you'd probably need way to many models and you'd go over the limit and crash the map..

youre best bet might be to edit the mapfile's WAD file and then host it somewhere as a custom wad replacement and maybe put a msg in the server where to find it.. tho usually only some of your regulars would be bothered to download it..

Twilight Suzuka 04-15-2006 20:16

Quote:

Originally Posted by GHW_Chronic
you can create a wall with your model, you cannot make textured entities after the map has loaded. You ever heard of "crashing" half-life? That's what it'll do.

No it wouldn't. You can make a textured entity after the map is load, it just must use a texture which has already been pre-loaded. Textures are internally stored in a similar way to models, and thus you may set a new entity to a texture in much the same way you can a model.

FrontLine 04-15-2006 21:27

Actually walls, doors...Are entities...not models...

Yes you can change the textures of the walls and doors...
All you have to do is, edit the .wad :)

FL.

GHW_Chronic 04-16-2006 00:29

FrontLine COMPLETELY missed the point an is COMPLETELY offtopic and is COMPLETELY in the wrong forum.

@suzuka: I actually did not know u could add textures to ents post map load, thought u could only use models. It's nice to know :-D.