AlliedModders

AlliedModders (https://forums.alliedmods.net/index.php)
-   Plugins (https://forums.alliedmods.net/forumdisplay.php?f=108)
-   -   [TF2] Armchair Generals (https://forums.alliedmods.net/showthread.php?t=251071)

nergal 11-05-2014 10:31

[TF2] Armchair Generals

3 Attachment(s)
Wiktionary defines "armchair general" as an outspoken warmonger, and/or a self-appointed strategist, who normally lacks actual military experience, and probably has no intention to get any in the near future.

This plugin allows the Spectator class to be more interactive through the use of pre-made Annotations to command a team of their choice.

General-Spectators will get a nifty HUD that tells them what team they are leading, the class count of their team, and how many players are dead.

To Command your team, press RELOAD while as a General for a menu that'll pop up and simply look at the intended area whilst selecting what command to give to your team.

This plugin uses the Transitional Syntax+API.

CONFIGS CONVARS
PHP Code:

// This file was auto-generated by SourceMod (v1.7.0-dev+4925)
// ConVars for plugin "armchair-general.smx"

// what flag admins need to bypass the Generals limit
// -
// Default: "a"
sm_armgeneral_adminflagbypass "a"

// How long Annotations can 'live' for
// -
// Default: "8.0"
// Minimum: "0.100000"
// Maximum: "9990.000000"
sm_armgeneral_annotelife "8.0"

// How many Generals BLU Team can have
// -
// Default: "3"
// Minimum: "0.000000"
// Maximum: "16.000000"
sm_armgeneral_blulimit "3"

// Enable the ArmChair General plugin
// -
// Default: "1"
// Maximum: "1.000000"
sm_armgeneral_enabled "1"

// x coordinate for the General HUD
// -
// Default: "-0.05"
sm_armgeneral_hudx "-0.05"

// y coordinate for the General HUD
// -
// Default: "-1.0"
sm_armgeneral_hudy "-1.0"

// How many Generals RED Team can have
// -
// Default: "3"
// Maximum: "16.000000"
sm_armgeneral_redlimit "3"

// Allows Generals to see other Generals annotations
// -
// Default: "0"
// Maximum: "1.000000"
sm_armgeneral_seeallannotes "0" 

http://aqu52.files.wordpress.com/201...al-cartoon.gif

Changelog ---
Oct 24, 2015 - updated code to use a single Commander methodmap and added the ability for commanders to send custom messages instead of premade ones.

March 11, 2015 - improved code, added class specific filtering and added admin command for custom annotations. Added advertisement to alert players of this plugin's feature

Snaggle 11-05-2014 11:17

Re: [TF2] Armchair Generals

That's a very clever idea. Is there a limit on how many people can do this while in Spec? It sort of reminds me of the Commander feature in the Battlefield series.

nergal 11-05-2014 11:21

Quote:

Originally Posted by Snaggle (Post 2220418)
That's a very clever idea. Is there a limit on how many people can do this while in Spec? It sort of reminds me of the Commander feature in the Battlefield series.

limit is default 3 for red and blu team.

There is also an admin bypass so admins can always go "Commanding Officer" when they want.

If you or anyone have any ideas/features you would like to see added to this, just put your idea here :)

404UserNotFound 11-05-2014 21:48

If you want to stay true to TF2 history, I'd change this to "Commander Class", as this is similar to what Valve originally was going to add (though with a minimap of sorts) as part of a Commander class.

Other than that, very nice!

nergal 11-05-2014 22:09

Quote:

Originally Posted by abrandnewday (Post 2220618)
If you want to stay true to TF2 history, I'd change this to "Commander Class", as this is similar to what Valve originally was going to add (though with a minimap of sorts) as part of a Commander class.

Other than that, very nice!

How was the commander class going to work? would he have a wider field of view? Weapons?

EDIT: looking at the Commander from TF2 Wiki, this plugin functions extremely similar with the only difference being that Commanders could drop supplies and call in air support

From the Wiki itself - https://wiki.teamfortress.com/wiki/Commander

Quote:

"the Commander would have been able to help coordinate attacks, alert to enemies, placing structures, call for parachute drops over enemy territory, to name a few; however, unlike the remainder of the classes, due to the RTS design, the Commander was a non-physical role, only able to passively influence battle"
place buildings, etc etc.

The only reason I didn't do that is because I didn't want to mess with the current balance situation of the game BUT I will do this if you guys really want :D

404UserNotFound 11-05-2014 22:13

Quote:

Originally Posted by nergal (Post 2220624)
How was the commander class going to work? would he have a wider field of view? Weapons?

EDIT: looking at the Commander from TF2 Wiki, this plugin functions extremely similar with the only difference being that Commanders could drop supplies and call in air support

From the Wiki itself - https://wiki.teamfortress.com/wiki/Commander

place buildings, etc etc.

The only reason I didn't do that is because I didn't want to mess with the current balance situation of the game BUT I will do this if you guys really want :D

I'd add in the ability to place health/ammo packs, but set up an enable/disable convar for that particular feature. Same with buildings (maybe just a level 1 sentry gun with additional convars to enable/disable level 2 and level 3 sentries separately)

I'd love to see actual "parachute drops" for the health/ammo packs if at all possible. Maybe some way of parenting the BASE Jumper model to the pack model and somehow triggering the "open" animation whilst having the pack slowly fall to the ground and only become obtainable once on the ground.

Not sure if the parachute thing would be possible though.

nergal 11-05-2014 22:43

Quote:

Originally Posted by abrandnewday (Post 2220627)
I'd add in the ability to place health/ammo packs, but set up an enable/disable convar for that particular feature. Same with buildings (maybe just a level 1 sentry gun with additional convars to enable/disable level 2 and level 3 sentries separately)

I'd love to see actual "parachute drops" for the health/ammo packs if at all possible. Maybe some way of parenting the BASE Jumper model to the pack model and somehow triggering the "open" animation whilst having the pack slowly fall to the ground and only become obtainable once on the ground.

Not sure if the parachute thing would be possible though.

Sexcellent, I'll work on an update starting Friday till Weekends :) But maybe leave out sentries and just allow only dispensers to be made by Commanders?

There should be a 1-3 minute cooldown for those dispensers too from convar of course, same with the ammo/health kits.

robotortoise 11-05-2014 23:21

This looks neat!

It might be fun for exclusive maps instead of all maps to keep balance, though.

Or at least a way to toggle it via a custom vote. (Maybe you can do that already through custom votes....IDK. Does it precache anything?)

It would be cool in like a WW1, WW2, or Civil War map.

Marverlous 11-06-2014 17:57

O.O This is so awesome! Any chance there can be a cvar to limit so only certain flag can be General?

nergal 11-06-2014 20:41

Quote:

Originally Posted by Marverlous (Post 2221059)
O.O This is so awesome! Any chance there can be a cvar to limit so only certain flag can be General?

yes, set all all team limit cvars to 0 and set the admin flag cvar.