PDA

View Full Version : A SELECTIVE Introduction to AMXX scripting

slmclarengt
05-24-2007, 18:10
This is a SELECTIVE Intro. to amxx scripting. By selective I mean, what I feel should be learned as a jumpstart. It does not follow the exact protocol normally used by AMXX tutorials.

Due to popular demand of my tutorial, I am releasing my tutorial for BEGINNERS, such that they too can learn Pawn through simple examples and explanations.

Updated 5-28-07:
Fixed some problems, which I overlooked before
Added more examples
Added more in-depth explanations
Clarified some poorly explained areas
Cited resources to allow user to gain more knowledge from other sources

I apologize for not reviewing it the first time before submitting it - I had heard good feedback, therefore felt it might be of standard to release. I doubt it is still flawless, however, one persons way of explaining should/could not be the same as any one other persons. So, just because some people disagree with my teaching methods, I can assure them, it will help certain people (mainly those who know what a programming language is and does, but not how to use it), but will not help others (those who prefer more standardized/pre-formatted tutorials because I wrote mine when I didn't have resources like AMXX Studio even at my disposal or even for that matter, Microsoft Word ;-))

This tutorial is very simple, yet due to my understanding of how new things like programming can be is VERY understandable and easy compared to the majority of Beginning Tutorials, which usually assume knowledge of programming.

Let me know if there are problems/suggestions/requests you would like to inquire about because I am open to ideas. Just post on this topic or elsewhere on the forums and I will do my best to respond shortly thereafter :-).

If you complain/whine/bitch/moan/groan about my tutorial doing something wrong, do something about it - either tell me, explaining what you say is wrong or write your own and expect the same type of feedback when I nitpick because it's not a one-way relationship :-)!

Enjoy!

Slmclarengt

Zenith77
05-24-2007, 19:28
Stated opinion (http://forums.alliedmods.net/showpost.php?p=480238&postcount=13)

In essence, not complete.

commonbullet
05-24-2007, 20:34
Stated opinion (http://forums.alliedmods.net/showpost.php?p=480238&postcount=13)

In essence, not complete.

Also it's not legible. You should use a formatted text instead.

edit:
I'd suggest you to review some concepts; i.e. "public" is not an identifier.

v3x
05-24-2007, 20:40
I might need to read this after being gone so long ;)

Zenith77
05-24-2007, 21:20
I might need to read this after being gone so long ;)

Get internets quick!

slmclarengt
05-25-2007, 01:47
Also it's not legible. You should use a formatted text instead.

edit:
I'd suggest you to review some concepts; i.e. "public" is not an identifier.

I know it's not an identifier and I will fix that but like I have said, I did not proofread it, I merely released it because I was told it was good enough. I've been extraordinarily busy today, I didn't even second-check it before I posted it so me putting public as an identifier was simply an oversight. Thank you for spotting it.

Slmclarengt

[CFF] gr3ed
05-25-2007, 22:05
I am not sure if this is already existing but is there a language guide for all of amxmodx?

schnitzelmaker
05-26-2007, 06:40
Yes here the offical Tutorial:http://wiki.amxmodx.org/index.php/Pawn_Tutorial

Lee
05-26-2007, 21:25
I've only scanned through the tutorial and there are more inaccuracies than I care to mention. I also believe that the tutorial fails to meet its goal of explaining basic programming concepts.

Hawk552
05-27-2007, 10:24
I might write up an exhaustive beginner's tutorial later. So this wasn't done all in vain, it got me to do something :o

Zenith77
05-27-2007, 13:53
I've only scanned through the tutorial and there are more inaccuracies than I care to mention. I also believe that the tutorial fails to meet its goal of explaining basic programming concepts.

Well put Lee.

slmclarengt
05-28-2007, 14:35
You guys are right and I fixed what seemed to me as the important issues. I'm sorry commonbullet but I didn't fix the formatting issue. My only suggestion to that note is use "Word Wrap."

I tried fixing all the issues when I read through it that popped out at me and looked into some issues such as get_user_name. I have changed the wording around and moved things because they were inaccurate. I may have overused the word "function" but I used it in different contexts that should be understood because in every case, I do not refer to a method.

Slmclarengt

commonbullet
05-28-2007, 15:19
I don't mean to depreciate your work, but there are too many conceptual problems not only in topics but on text organization itself, I think it confuses beginners instead of helping. It's not only a matter of fixing, maybe you could re-write it with pawn documentation in hand.

http://www.compuphase.com/pawn/pawn.htm#DOWNLOAD_DOCS

slmclarengt
05-28-2007, 19:21
I don't mean to depreciate your work, but there are too many conceptual problems not only in topics but on text organization itself, I think it confuses beginners instead of helping. It's not only a matter of fixing, maybe you could re-write it with pawn documentation in hand.

http://www.compuphase.com/pawn/pawn.htm#DOWNLOAD_DOCS

I know that is lacking on conceptual organization and topics, but it's not meant to cover all spectrums. I will rename the guide and it's topic title to reflect it's real use. It is not a "Complete Guide to Pawn/AMXX", it's more like a "Guide of simple, basic and what I personally think of as important to a programming language" guide. I am sorry it does not meet some peoples' standards, but I can't please everyone - I tried quite hard to please everyone but it failed as expected. If you have SPECIFIC suggestions/requests/comments/CONSTRUCTIVE CRITICISM, let me know - otherwise please leave me and my topic alone :-).

Constructive Criticism is criticism that will actually make my present topic of higher quality. Thank you to everyone even if you gave more malicious criticism.

Todo list:
Clarify everything more.
Add suggestions.
Re-write with more concepts possibly.
Make it an HTML or pre-formatted text document.

Slmclarengt